1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

New here and looking for a litle advice.

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2005, 04:29 PM
49leggett
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question New here and looking for a litle advice.

Hi there and Merry Christmas. I am looking for a little advice from some of you seasoned guys. I have a 49 F-1 and have been bitten by the rat rod bug. My problem is what to do with the motor. I currently have a running 305 and can get an adapter to mate it to the stock three speed tranny for under $300.00. I just wonder how long that setup will last? Would I be better off to just get a tranny to match the 305 and have my driveshaft customised? Just looking for a little direction. Thanks.

Old 12-25-2005, 04:57 PM
51ford fan
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Welcome to the forum 49Leggett, my advise first off would be to upgrade the trans and rearend to match the engine so at 60 mph the engine is running where it would be in its orginal enviorment 2200 RPM's I believe. You could stay with the stock 3 speed trans, but it doesn't have a syncro first gear. And the stock 3.92 rearend will no be fun on long freeway drives unless you have an overdrive. My 51 F1 has a stock driveline 226 Flathead 6, 4 speed non-syncro trans, 4.27 rearend gears. It's just no fun running at 45-50mph on the freeway with 18 wheelers riding your bumper. I'm installing an S10 5 speed and a 69 Ford F100 rearend right now in it.
I would, if I were you and intended on keeping the 305 in it I would match it with a manual or automatic trans and a later rearend with gears to match what GM pickups are running. Over the long run I think this combo would give you the best overall performance. Click on the link below for information on rearend swap options for your truck. And please setup your Gallery so I can see some pictures of your pickup.

I hope this information helps And Merry Christmas
Rod
https://www.ford-trucks.com/article/...ial_Swaps.html

Last edited by 51ford fan; 12-25-2005 at 05:22 PM.
Old 12-25-2005, 06:39 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 607 Likes on 377 Posts
Well, I'm going to tell you to pitch that 305, and it's got nothing to do with Ford vs Chev. The 305 is the worst SBC ever produced. The block weighs less than a V6 Buick's. It has all kinds of issues and can't stand any upgrades. I wouldn't put any good money after bad and try to fit that up to the rest of the truck. Shop for a good 350 or what the hell, I hear Henry made some good V8's too...

Personal opinion, if you're stuck on a GM drivetrain, a 350 backed by a 200R (auto OD) or 700R (heavier duty auto OD) will give you everything you need and more. If you want to consider Ford, a 351W with a properly built AOD will do the trick. IMHO I would buy a B&M or similar HD AOD that is made for hot rod type use, and put a good aux cooler on it. They cost about a grand. Using an OD trans saves having to change out the rear axle.

Almost any change of trans requires hacking the stock crossmember off clear of the brake/clutch pedal assembly, as the stock trans's are very small.

Last edited by ALBUQ F-1; 12-25-2005 at 06:41 PM.
Old 12-25-2005, 08:37 PM
51ford fan
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by ALBUQ F-1
Well, I'm going to tell you to pitch that 305, and it's got nothing to do with Ford vs Chev. The 305 is the worst SBC ever produced. The block weighs less than a V6 Buick's. It has all kinds of issues and can't stand any upgrades. I wouldn't put any good money after bad and try to fit that up to the rest of the truck. Shop for a good 350 or what the hell, I hear Henry made some good V8's too...

Personal opinion, if you're stuck on a GM drivetrain, a 350 backed by a 200R (auto OD) or 700R (heavier duty auto OD) will give you everything you need and more. If you want to consider Ford, a 351W with a properly built AOD will do the trick. IMHO I would buy a B&M or similar HD AOD that is made for hot rod type use, and put a good aux cooler on it. They cost about a grand. Using an OD trans saves having to change out the rear axle.

Almost any change of trans requires hacking the stock crossmember off clear of the brake/clutch pedal assembly, as the stock trans's are very small.
Is the 305 a V6 I didn't know they were such a problem

Old 12-25-2005, 08:54 PM
Earl
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Welcome to the Forum. As you can see, you'll get some good information and opinions from the folks here.

With respect to engines, we try to keep the Ford vs. other brands discussion to a minimum - but you're welcome to talk about what might work with your current drivetrain and how to get a Chevy or Mopar engine to fit in the truck. Have fun!

Old 12-25-2005, 09:15 PM
hotrod48
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Welcome to the site. I'm not too fond of the 305's but I have seen some very respectable 305's too. If it were me, I would find a 700-R4 to put behind it. I have a 350/700-R4 combo it my 48 and love it. If you do decide on GM drivetrain, just remember that you will get messed with because of it (I do and they mean no harm by it, just play along with them ). Good luck with your truck.

hotrod48

Old 12-25-2005, 09:51 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 607 Likes on 377 Posts
No, the 305 is a V8, but they took so much iron out of the block to make the car light that the crank has no support, the bores don't stay round, etc. The heads are particularly worthless for making HP. Even for a stock setup, they are not going to be good for pulling a heavy truck around. My comparison was that the 305 V8 block has had so much iron removed from it, that a Buick 3800 V6 block weighs more.

To be real specific, there are people who have had good luck with 305's but most people have them fail catastrophically under relatively moderate loads (Hot Rod had one seize up and shatter a piston on their dyno). I've seen discussions where they have tried to pin down why some of them seem OK, and others not. It seems like for some reason some of them got cast a little heavier, enough to make some difference, but you won't find anyone (that I know of) recommending a 305 for a build-up. Almost any other Chev small-block is a great candidate, just not the 305. They are a dog of an engine. What is yours out of, and what was it rated? My guess would be 140 HP.

Old 12-25-2005, 09:58 PM
Brian_B
Postmaster
One of my favorite passtimes is picking hotrod for his drivetrain. No harm intended and he knows it.

My neighbor has two chevys (not sure of years--but close in age). One has the 305 and one has the 350. He will not pull his boats anymore with the 305. He says its just too hard on it.

They both have a lot of miles, but he prefers the slightly larger engine. No clue if thats normal for all of them, but thats as close as I get to a chevy.

Old 12-25-2005, 11:45 PM
Col Flashman
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Yes, if you are going to Update the Engine, you should definently Update the Trans & Rearend as well.
You do Not want to blow either of them, as they are not designed to take the abuse that a newer engine will put them through & leave yourself stranded somewhere.

Old 12-25-2005, 11:57 PM
hotrod48
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I know a guy that I have raced with that has a 305 in his late 80s Camaro. It runs low 14s with a traction problem on launch (Which it is an aluminum headed 305 that has been gone through). I would still probably steer away from it, unless your intentions are to keep it stock and I think it would do a good job of that, just my opinion though. Good luck with your decision 49leggett and keep us updated.

Originally Posted by Brian_B
One of my favorite passtimes is picking hotrod for his drivetrain. No harm intended and he knows it.
You do like to pick on me Brain. It's all in good fun though.

hotrod48

Old 12-26-2005, 07:15 AM
49willard
Cargo Master
Received 125 Likes on 64 Posts
I ran the stock 49 flathead trans behind a 56 Buick nailhead. I rebuilt it several times for broken gears before finding a heavy duty three speed for the 49. That was a bolt in and I drove that combo for a number of years. I agree with others above. Either find a flathead to put in it or change out the trans/engine to match. When I drove the 49 with the nailhead it had stock 3.92 gears. It was fine up to about 65 max 70 and it was starting to complain. I like the combo that includes an AOD.

Old 12-26-2005, 08:16 AM
GreatNorthWoods
Lead Driver
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Are you going to build this on a budget? If so, I'd stick with the 305 as long as it's running okay but spend the $300 on a good TH350 transmission to go behind it. I've owned a couple of 305s over the years and they had enough power for me. How long the engine lasts is going to depend on what shape the engine is in and how you drive it. Later, if you want a better rear end ratio find a 3.00 or 3.25 nine inch to replace the original rear end. If the budget will allow it, the 350 is a better engine or consider a small block Ford and C4.

Vern

Old 12-26-2005, 10:03 AM
49leggett
New User
Thanks

First of all, thanks for the welcome. Secondly, I am trying to do this truck on a budget, all work has and will be done by myself and a few buddies(thank god for them!) The only reason I even thought about a 305 is because I have one thatis complete and it runs. I am looking for simplicity here. I am planning on chopping the top next month. The bed is homemade, I used the tops from the original sides and welded them to some sheetmetal. I am not going to be running any fenders or a hood(all of which I am willing to sell, I might make enough to buy a good engine trans combo?) I also do not plan on making any long hiway journeys, I can get anywhere that I need to go with out getting on the hiway. So I don't know if that will change any advice or not? As far as getting ridiculed about the Chevy motor in the old Ford, bring it on I have some pretty thick skin.

Just so you guys know, I have a 2002 F-150, and a 2001 Merc Grand Marq. Just so you guys know!! Onceagain thanks and in the upcoming weeks I will definetly work on getting my gallery going.

Old 12-26-2005, 10:13 AM
3Mike6
Postmaster
If you're set on running the SBC/Ford tranny combo, I have the adapter for it and will save you lotsa of bucks over the $300.00 price you have.

Old 12-26-2005, 10:36 AM
49leggett
New User
Originally Posted by 3Mike6
If you're set on running the SBC/Ford tranny combo, I have the adapter for it and will save you lotsa of bucks over the $300.00 price you have.
Mike shoot me your contact info lggetts2@aol.com
Thanks