Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L) Diesel Topics Only

TPS Adjustment?

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2005, 05:37 PM
GBGIVER
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TPS Adjustment?

Can anyone give me a quick rundown on where to locate and how to adjust the TPS (also called an FIPL?) on my 1993 E350 7.3 (E4OD)? My trans seems to be shifting "too early". I checked the fluid and it's o.k.......

Thanks,
Jeremy

Old 12-23-2005, 09:21 PM
PLC7.3
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
FIPL is the large item on the drivers side of the IP with 3 wires.....

A/T - E40D FIPL Sensor Trouble Shooting & Adjustment

TECHNICAL BULLETIN # 186A

TRANSMISSION: E4OD

SUBJECT: FIPL troubleshooting & adjustment procedures

APPLICATION: Ford

DATE: Jan 1994

E4OD
FIPL Trouble Shooting & Adjustment Procedures (Diesel Applications Only)

Poor transmission performance and/or premature transmission failure may be caused by a defective Fuel Injection Pump Lever (FIPL) sensor, or sensor signal. The sensor is located on the Fuel Injection Pump (Figure 1) and is used to inform the Transmission Control Unit Assembly (computer) of throttle position.

Ford Motor Company recommends that the FIPL be checked or replaced every 50,000 miles. However, it is possible for a FIPL sensor to fail at less than 50,000 miles. Therefore, it is highly recommended that you install a new "upgraded" FIPL sensor when a transmission overhaul is performed on any diesel applications.

You should also be aware that early design FIPL sensors are not as desirable as late design sensors.

Another potential concern is that the wiring harness leading to the FIPL sensor may be broken or shorted to ground. Closely inspect the harness where it is routed across the top of the engine to the FIPL sensor. The natural vibration of a diesel engine can easily wear through the wiring insulation where it contacts the engine, brackets, etc.

Note The voltage specification for signal return (item 2, page 2) was incorrect on the original bulletin. Remove original # 186 from your files and replace it with this revised bulletin. # 186A.

Note For testing and adjustment information see following information.

TESTING THE FIPL SENSOR

Note During these tests the negative lead of the voltmeter MUST be connected directly to the negative battery post and the computer and FIPL harnesses must not be disconnected.

1. Wire A is reference voltage sent to the sensor from the computer ORANGE/WHITE

TEST: With the KEY ON, ENGINE OFF voltage should be approximately 5 volts.

2. Wire B is the ground path from the FIPL sensor to the computer BLACK/WHITE

TEST: With the KEY ON, ENGINE OFF voltage should be volts?? or less.

3. Wire C is the throttle opening signal sent to the computer from the FIPL sensor . TEST With the KEY ON, ENGINE OFF and the throttle at idle position, voltage should be approximately 1.2 volts. With The throttle fully open, voltage should be approximately 4.5 volts. ORANGE/WHITE (CENTER WIRE)

The sweep from 1.2 volts at idle to approximately 4.5 volts at full throttle should be smooth. A meter with a snapshot or min/max capture mode is useful to catch intermittent "opens".

If the previously described range cannot be attained, FIPL adjustment can be achieved by rotating the sensor (on its bracket) one way or the other until the voltage values are satisfactory.

.................................................. ................................................

DIESEL FIPL SENSOR INFO
DATE 1992
REASON
Early Black FIPL has High Failure Rate
RECOMMENDATION
Always replace the black colored early FIPL or any colored FIPL having 60 thousand or more miles with the late gray colored FIPL.
PART NUMBER
F2TZ-9B989-C

Last edited by PLC7.3; 12-23-2005 at 09:24 PM.
Old 12-24-2005, 08:22 AM
GBGIVER
New User
That's Great! Thanks...

Jeremy

Old 03-23-2012, 06:49 PM
misugeof
New User
tps/fipl

I have a 1994 F250 4x4 SC long box E4od.I have a down shifting problem when feathering the throttle,it doesn't happen all the time and get's worse in the warmer weather.Even going down hill or flat road,Tranny guys in the Durham Region say there is no problem.It is fine under hard acceleration.Is this a condition you are having with the tps /fipl?I have 250000 km original transmission,injector pump and injector's done June 2011.

Old 03-23-2012, 07:18 PM
Aune163rd
Postmaster

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...ions-only.html

Here ya be....there might be something in this article for you. Its all about the TPS...

Old 03-24-2012, 10:40 AM
greywynd
Posting Guru
Durham Region? A local!! Welcome to the forums, and let us know how you're making out with your tranny issue!

Old 03-24-2012, 01:20 PM
misugeof
New User
Hi thanks greywynd I'm about to phone Marigold Ford in Whitby.Love this truck have had it for 8 years already

Old 03-24-2012, 02:00 PM
misugeof
New User
Seem's that I have to go to a diesel mechanic Ford couldn't do it.the part is $91.65 though.

Old 03-24-2012, 10:31 PM
GHeTTo JOe
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
so my trans seams to "slip" into a neutral when coasting say down hills, cause if i get back into the throttle easy i can feel it kinda kick back into gear, would this be a symptom of a poorly adjusted TPS

Old 03-25-2012, 11:10 AM
FORDF250HDXLT
Post Fiend
Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by GHeTTo JOe
so my trans seams to "slip" into a neutral when coasting say down hills, cause if i get back into the throttle easy i can feel it kinda kick back into gear, would this be a symptom of a poorly adjusted TPS
nope.that one there is a sure tell tale sign of a failing MLPS/Manual Lever Position Switch (also known as neutral safety switch or range sensor.)
however don't be confused with the converter unlocking/re locking.the E40D will enter a semi neutral state when coasting downhill to conserve fuel and is normal operation.

Old 04-26-2012, 01:50 PM
misugeof
New User
Hi it's been a while,but,the FIPL /TPS is now replaced with a good used one from Steve's Diesel.I notice the difference right away the truck will shift at 300 RPM higher than than the old sensor.I will keep you posted as I tow trailer this summer.

Old 04-26-2012, 07:59 PM
FORDF250HDXLT
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by GHeTTo JOe
re-reading this,i think you might be describing the converter unlocking.
she feels like a semi neutral state when you let off the skinny completely while going downhill to conserve fuel.
next time you let off going downhill,at say 55mph,watch the rpms.slide her into N to see if they drop even further.if so,all is normal.
if she really is going into N on her own,that would (most likely) be a failed MLPS.
sorry i think i misunderstood the first time.hope i didn't cost ya a new MLPS friend.if so,hopefully you made sure the updated version that time,and in which case,it was good preventive maintenance anyway.

Old 04-27-2012, 12:46 PM
misugeof
New User
My truck didn't seem to slip into neutral it literally down shift's to 3rd and sometimes tried to go into 2nd,my rev's go up.The transmission feel's stronger already,I took it to work the day I picked it up and it took all the hills way better than before.It was a 100 km trip back and forth to work that day and had it out today and all is good.It's quite cool here now I'll see what happen's when the temp's go up.
Thank's for your interest.

Old 04-27-2012, 08:01 PM
FORDF250HDXLT
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by misugeof
My truck didn't seem to slip into neutral it literally down shift's to 3rd and sometimes tried to go into 2nd,my rev's go up.The transmission feel's stronger already,I took it to work the day I picked it up and it took all the hills way better than before.It was a 100 km trip back and forth to work that day and had it out today and all is good.It's quite cool here now I'll see what happen's when the temp's go up.
Thank's for your interest.
yeah.that TPS is vital to have a correctly shifting trans.when they are incorrectly set or failing,a new one installed and dialed in to the specs PLC7.3 posted back in '05 ...............it's like a brand new truck again.
them little suckers are so important to how this trans operates,it's just a good idea to plan on replacing them every 50k miles max even if you don't think you need one lol.

Old 04-28-2012, 06:37 PM
misugeof
New User
Just getting it ready for a trip to Lake Superior Provincial Park.I'm not driving it as much as I used to,no winter's anymore.I might put 8000 km's per year now.It going in the body shop in 2 week's to fix clear coat and dented door from gas tank guy.