Explorer, Sport Trac, Mountaineer & Aviator 1991-1994, 1995-2001, 2002-2005, 2006-2010 Ford Explorer

Best and Worse Explorer to look for

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2005, 03:14 PM
mediaman67
Laughing Gas
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Best and Worse Explorer to look for

Hi,

I might be in the market for a good used Explorer, and would love any and all advice in terms of what years to avoid, and same worries about Drive train issues, etc...

Ideally, What is the oldest year I should consider if I want something reliable for many years...

I'm coming from an 89 Aerostar, that, overall, has been trouble free for the 16 years I've owned it. Still runs fine, but just looking for something a bit newer...

I would like a 4x4, since we live in New England...

Any Pitfalls, etc??

I saw a 98 4x4 with 60K on it, looked new in the photos - Guy wouldn't take anything less than 6500 for it... is that on par for that year, etc?

anyone know what year the 4.0L SOHC engine was out for the Explorer? was there some made after this, where they could have the older 4.0L?

Thanks,
Bob

Old 12-23-2005, 03:42 PM
marragtop
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would avoid the Gen I Explorers which were 91-94. They have weak transmissions and start to experience problems around 125-150k miles. I'll let others comment on Gen II and III. A good way to determine the value is to go to cars.com. This site has cars that are being sold by dealers and private owners, and is location (area of country) specific. $6500 for a 98 with only 60k doesn't sound that bad. Make sure it has all the necessary inspections (safety, emissions) and do a CARFAX on it. Also, as you get into Gen I and Gen II, you have choices between the V8 and 4.0, and 4x4 vs. AWD. Lots of discussions in this forum on these differences.

Old 12-23-2005, 04:36 PM
gcozmo
Senior User
I have a 96 XLT with 103k miles, bought it new and it has been a good one. The 97 was the year that the Explorer had a new Trans. and you could get either of the 4.0's. I think that 98 was the 1st year that you could only get the 4.0 SOHC or the 5.0 V8. The 96 that I have has been to the dealer only one time and that was for a recall on the swaybar links. The 04 that we have now has been to the dealer 6 times in one year for an assortment of small issues that it shouldn't have. I have heard several people comment that from 98 to 01 that the best one to get was the 5.0 as far as reliability. Hope this helps, Greg

Old 12-23-2005, 04:58 PM
merlynr
Posting Guru
Thumbs up

I have a 99 xls (step below xlt) and it has been trble free and I bought it from a Toyota dealer when it had about 45k miles and now has 110k. the engine is the 4.0 ohv and runs good although if you like lots of pwr, it's not that good. It has the torsion bar front suspension and hasn't given any trble, but to pass safety insp they said it needed lower ball joints. I'm not so sure it did, but put them on anyway. I would buy another one.

Old 12-24-2005, 08:17 AM
9explorer8
Senior User
Bob,

I have had good luck with the 1998 4x4 4.0 SOHC Explorer. In fact I own 2 of them now. As best i can recall, the 4L SOHC engine was introduced in the Explorer in 1998. I know there were a few major recalls on this engine when it first came out. If I remember correctly, it was for the timing chain tensioner and also the intake manifold gasket. Ford fixed these two things on my first Explorer for free and did a good job. No problems releated to these two things since. My second Explorer already had had these recalls done when I bought it. I would think that later model SOHC engines would not have had these probelms, but I really don't know. I would check with owner or FORD by VIN to make sure these two probs are not still an an issue on any 4L SOHC Explorer you buy. I like this 6 cylinder engine. Has plenty of power in my opinion, and gas milage for an SUV it not that bad.

I love my 98s and will look for another 98 when I wear these out, which seems to take a while. Both mine are 4x4 versions. If you are planning to be doing any off-road driving at all, even just beach driving, I would advise getting a true four wheel drive and staying way from an AWD model. Also, for off-roading, I prefer the older, solid rear-axle Explorer rather than the newer independent rear suspension Explorers. However, the indenpendents probably give a better highway ride, imo.

Last edited by 9explorer8; 12-24-2005 at 08:25 AM.
Old 12-24-2005, 08:33 AM
mediaman67
Laughing Gas
Wow, thanks for all your help from everyone... I figured that there was a "sweet spot" for these... seems like 98-00 would be the ideal year... now, if I could just find one that an old lady drove to church and back at 35mph :-)

The nice thing about 98, is that would be 8 model years old now, and the BB values would be low, even if the truck has little miles for the year...

Sounds like the 5.0 in the 4x4 version would be the ideal, but the 4 is more power than I have now with my 3.0L aero :-)

are these engines pretty easy to work on for minor stuff, like tune ups, belts front drive stuff, I'm so used to having Zero room! (anyone ever try to replace the plugs in the Aerostars?)

How long do these last? Can I get 200K miles out of any of the late 90's Explorers?

Anyone know what years the I II and III models were out, and what the biggest advantages were?

Also, is the 2wd/awd/4x4 a switchable thing inside the truck, like on the Navigator? - I'm thinking 4x4 most of the time, since we always have some kind of weather here! (ice, Snow, Rain, etc) But, I bet a 5.0L in a 4x4 gets 5 miles to the gallon!

Any and all thoughts?

Happy Holidays!

Bob

Old 12-24-2005, 09:03 AM
merlynr
Posting Guru
Smile

My 99 exp has a switch on the dash that has 3 positions, Auto,4WH,and 4WL. I think that is correct as my wife drives it the most. Anyway it stays in auto most of the time. It can be switched in and out, but I would have to read the book for the exact instructions concerning shifting while at speed etc. Although mine has the 4.0 ohv eng. I heard a couple of times that the sohc version had as much power as the 5.0, so they detuned it a little to make the 5.0 more powerful that it.

Merry Christmas & Happy New Year!!

PS If you can work on an Aero u can work on these. I had two of them and my son still has the one(208k) and still going.

Last edited by merlynr; 12-24-2005 at 09:07 AM.
Old 12-24-2005, 09:23 AM
9explorer8
Senior User
Speaking strictly on my experience with my two 1998 4.0L SOHC 4x4 Explorers:

Serpentine belt is very easy to replace.

Shocks are fairly easy to replace; fronts easy, rear upper bolts a little hard to get to, but not anything horrible.

Rear 2 spark plugs on the passenger side are a bit of a pain to get to, but the secret is removing the passener side tire/wheel and plastic wheel-well skirt(just held on with clip fasteners) to get better access. Also the secret is using high quality platinum plugs that you don't have to replace them that often.

The factory wheels on this model are great looking in my opinion.

The XLT version is worth the few extra bucks it will cost on a used model.

I have in excess of 100K on both and still not burning any oil. But I always use high quality long-life synthetic oil.

I have had shifting issues in and out of 4x4 drive on occasion, (will present with blinking hi-lo lights and no shift out of 4 low), but was resolved by simply pulling/cleaning/reinstalling the upper HALL sensor in the rear of the transfer case. Takes about five minutes. (a quick emergency fix is disconnecting/reconnecting the battery or pulling/replacing the main fuse in the fuse box and then try again shifting out of 4-low slowly with trans in neutral).

I don't use my 4x4 drive mode except off road or in snow or very flooded streets, etc. For just normal rain, etc, leaving it in AUTO works good for me. I feel using the 4x4 modes on even wet hard surfaces causes too much strain and wear on the drive components.

Both have auto trannies. No probelms there either.

Have had to replace some of the O2 sensors at about 100K. Each about in the $50 range.

Good luck in your quest.

JD

Last edited by 9explorer8; 12-24-2005 at 09:52 AM.
Old 12-24-2005, 10:46 AM
9explorer8
Senior User
Oh...need to add....both had leaking front pinion seals at about 80-90K. Had fixed at dealership, I think(hard to remember exactly) for about $150 each time. No porblems with these seals since.

Old 12-24-2005, 04:26 PM
marragtop
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Gen I 91-94, Gen II 95-01, Gen III 02-05. Also, I'm not aware of any 5.0s with 4x4. All of them that I've seen were AWD. I'm sure others can jump in on this.

Old 12-24-2005, 08:42 PM
BlueOval5.0
More Turbo
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
I have a 1998 XLT 5.0 AWD with nearly 83k on the clock purchased used in 7/04 with 54k. It happened to have all the goodies (factory CD changer, leather interior, running boards, moonroof, etc.) and I wanted a bright red one and it fell into my lap.

As with any vehicle, this particular Explorer model has it positive and negative aspects.

The good stuff:

Acceleration/Performance: This truck moves well, especially at low speeds. It isn't a racecar but for a mid-size SUV, it hauls. My '96 Grand Cherokee with the 6 Cylinder was a dog compared to my Explorer.

Efficiency: For a V8, I do relatively well - ranging between 17 MPG & 22 MPG. This number is a little on the high side since I do about 90% highway driving and I keep it around 60-65 MPH, never higher and the car is empty.

Utility: I know, that's an obvious one but this truck does what I need it to do when I need it to. I have two small kids (3 yrs & 9 months) and when I need to lug them around and their stuff, we all fit comfortably and nothing ever has to go up on the roof. I will say that if they were a little older, I'd have to step up to and Expedition or Excursion and I will when the time comes.

Styling: Granted, I am biased but to me this is the best looking Explorer from 1991 through 2005 (the 2006 might be the best looking). The body has enough contour to it not to be a box like Gen I or Gen III and it has some chrome on it (bumper & grille) that really makes it look sharp. The tri-color tail lights differentiate it from the '95-'97 models too.

Paint/Body Integrity: I must say that the paint on my truck, when washed and waxed, still looks really sharp. Even though it is 8 model years old, it looks fantastic. Of course, the prior owners likely took just as good of care of it as I do so I'm sure that helped. I do not have one ding or dent, just some superficial scratches. The Bright Red paint is flashy, not common in my area on the 4 door Explorers and was discontinued after the 1999 model year I believe.

Negatives:

Ride: The ride sucks. Make no bones about, it rides as harsh as my '95 Ram 1500. I don't know why, I've replaced the shocks with Monroe's and the ride hasn't improved. I have stock size Goodyear Wranglers running at 35 PSI which might be contributing to the poor ride. Also, the rear end seems to look like the it is LOWER than the front. I don't know why but it just looks a little odd for and SUV. Most other SUV's appear to sit a little higher than this Explorer. Who knows, maybe I am nuts.

Passenger Space-Adults: Well, I know I said it had utility but I didn't say for 4 adults. Try putting 4 decent sized adults in this thing and don't plan on driving too long before someone is complaining. I'll set the over/under at 30 minutes. It is tight with 4 full sized adults, never mind 5. My folks '01 Escape has more passenger space and rides and handles a lot better than my Explorer. There is something to being on a car frame I guess.

Transmission: Ok, I am not 100% sure that it is weak but I will say that it has always seemed to hesitate going into overdrive for whatever reason. I had it completely flushed at 65k and it was better for awhile but the symptoms have reappeared. I don't think it is slipping, just seems like a delayed shift almost. The same exact thing as my '93 F-150 with the 5.0 V8. Neither tranny has ever needed to be replaced so it can't be that bad and might be a product of my imagination.

It all depends on what you're needs are and what you want the Explorer to do for you.

I don't know what type of driving you'll be doing but as far as I know, you cannot get a true 4x4 with the 5.0 V8 nor can you get a manual transmission. If you are going to do a decent amount of off-roading, get the SOHC V6 and 4x4.

If you're looking for cabin space, consider an Escape. They have more passenger space (although you are giving up cargo space) and are very peppy with the V6 and handle and drive much better than the Explorer.

Best of luck and keep us posted on how things go.

Eric

Last edited by BlueOval5.0; 12-24-2005 at 08:47 PM.
Old 12-24-2005, 09:34 PM
9explorer8
Senior User
BlueOval5.0

Great post.

Merry Christmas

JD

Old 12-25-2005, 07:54 AM
BlueOval5.0
More Turbo
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Merry Christmas to you too JD and everyone else here at FTE. This place is really great.

Old 02-12-2006, 12:39 AM
dosmoney
New User
ive got a 91 sport ATX

146xxx miles, no tranny problems yet (knock on wood), oil is leaking from the rear main seal though

Old 02-15-2006, 11:21 PM
97FORDXLT
Freshman User
i'v got a 97 ford explorer for sale right now... 89,600 miles, its a great truck..4.0 SOHC 4X4 Power everything ( pretty much) but i live in cali, and the shipping to send it to new england would cost an arm and a leg. anywho...iv been wanting to look at a 2001 Ford Explorer at www.carsoncitytoyota.com havent really checked it out yet, but by the looks of the truck i know i want it.

Quick Reply: Best and Worse Explorer to look for