1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Which should I buy? Dodge Power Wagon or F250/350?

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2005, 10:09 PM
Raven87
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Which should I buy? Dodge Power Wagon or F250/350?

Ok, I'm in a quandry here. I have found three different trucks that I really like but can't make a decision on which I like better since there are several things about all three I really like.

The first one is an '04 F250 C/C S/B 5.4 automatic in dark red over a silver bottom (two-tone paint). Gorgeous truck and well taken care of with 27k on the odometer. I can buy it for $24k. It also has the steps on the side, cloth interior, 40/20/40 seats in the front, a fiberglass lid over the bed, and so forth.

The second truck is just like the first except it is dark shawdow gray (solid paint) but has a soft tonneau cover over the bed. I can buy it also for $24k. Both trucks are XLT's, have 3.73 limited slip rear axles, and are awesome.

But - I've also come across some similar deals on similarly equipped F350s - which really grab me!

The third truck is an '05 Dodge Ram Power Wagon; (based on the Ram 2500 3/4 ton truck). It is flame red, 5.7 Hemi V8 gas, 5 speed automatic, same type of seating (but a much smaller interior especially in the back seat). But - it has electronic locking front and rear diffs, an electronically locking sway bar (it can be disconnected off-road for maximum suspension movement), a 12,000 pound Warn Winch, 33" tall BFG tires on 17" polished aluminum rims, 4.56 gearing, but no bed cover and no steps/nerf bars. It does have Rock Rails to protect the body sides but they would have to be removed to install steps. And - it only has 6700 miles on it. I can buy this truck (that had an MSRP of over $43k) for only $24.9k.

Now, on the surface it looks like the Dodge is the better buy. But honestly, I think I like the Super Duty's much better. However, they are a model year older and have less off-road capability. The Hemi has 345 hp and 375 lb/ft of torque - the 5.4 has 260 hp and 350 (I think) lb/ft of torque. Those are big differences.

Help? Suggestions? Help me explain to my wife why I should pay almost the same money for a Ford that is one model year older than the Doge with 1/4 the mileage - other than the fact that I think the Ford is a better built truck.

Old 12-21-2005, 10:20 PM
BareBones
Posting Guru
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Raven87 - Welcome to FTE! You've done a great job of describing the trucks you're looking at, but what do you intend to use your truck for, and what is your background and interest in off roading? Is it your primary reason for buying the truck, or do you intend to tow? Do you expect to lift it, get oversize tires, tow, what?

Old 12-21-2005, 10:27 PM
BFR250SD
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
To me it's very simple; You buy the truck that gives you the most capabilities within your intended purposes.

I've never been one of the brand loyal folks, I buy the truck that fits me best and gives me the most for my money at the time.

I honestly have to say, for what you are describing, I would be going with the Power Wagon (Did I just say that?). It is a VERY capable truck.

Get what YOU are comfortable with. It's your money and until that changes, it's your choice.

Old 12-21-2005, 10:35 PM
Big Sky
Laughing Gas
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
The Power Wagon sounds like a great deal, but my concern is that the price is almost too good to be true...Could be wrong. Have you checked Blue Book or NADA?

Old 12-21-2005, 10:36 PM
jake00
FTE is my crack
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I can buy this truck (that had an MSRP of over $43k) for only $24.9k.
that should tell you something, not to baash dodge, but you describe it as electromic looking, I prefer function over looks anyday

Old 12-21-2005, 10:43 PM
BFR250SD
Postmaster
Run a Carfax and makes sure it's not one of the storm vehicles from Katrina. THAT would suck!

Old 12-21-2005, 10:44 PM
3BLADZ
Senior User
I can say with out a doubt the Ford will save you the difference in money in gas over the Power wagon in no time. 4.56 gears and a hemi - you'll need it to pull a gas tank.
The silver and red sounds nice. I have shadow grey over black and I like it lot. Individual preference on color I guess. The glass bed cover would be nicer than a soft cover imo. The fact that the Dodge has depreciated that much more than the Ford already ought to be a factor. F250 vs 350 - if you have to have the extra GVW thats a good reason. If not, why mess with a dually, parking, drive thrus, etc.
My opinion is worth what you paid for it.

Old 12-21-2005, 11:03 PM
Fully_Loaded
Elder User
I agree with 3bladz, I have a buddy with a 1500 2wd Hemi and my jacked up 91 with 35 inch tires gets better gas milleage than that pig. My 91 gets 12mpg so they are getting about 10 and they drive like they are driving mrs. daisy. However with 4:56 gears in that hemi you might be able to pull a house over.

Old 12-21-2005, 11:26 PM
RACERX7775
Postmaster
He Has To Sacrifice Something, As Far As Getting Better Milage Than Your 91, The Dodge Would Drag It All Over The Place. The Electric Lockers, Look At The E-locker, It Is Awesome. The Dodge Is Better For Pulling, Wheeling, And For The Recovery Part. However, The Ford Wont Get That Much Better Gas Mileage Than The Hemi. Remember, The Ford Is Heavy, With A Whimpy Engine. The Interior Is Alot Bigger In The Ford. If He Plans To Lift It, I Would Go Ford, You Would Loose The Swaybar Disconnect On The Dodge. I Love Both And Have A Ram 2500 With 8"lift And 38"tires. And An Excursion Limited 4x4 With The Big V10. Gas Mileage Is A Big Priority.

Old 12-21-2005, 11:34 PM
EnviroCon
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Man, it both sucks to be you, and is good to be you. It sucks because that sounds like a tough call to make, it's good because you get the choice. I agree with big Sarge up there, I'd probably pick that Power Wagon over the SD, based on the way you described both. I've wheeled with a couple PW's and they were definitely not dog's. It sounds like someone put some good money into that thing. I'd try to, on the sly, find out if they took the Dodge off road, or it was more of a driveway trophy. Have them both checked-out by mechanics and see what pops-up. Let us know what you decide.

Old 12-22-2005, 12:50 AM
Raven87
New User
The Dodge is bone stock - it comes from the factory with the E-lockers, etc. Here's what Dodge's website says:

"Ram Power Wagon returns to the Dodge lineup ready for severe off-road work conditions. It comes loaded with essential factory-engineered off-road components, including electronically locking differentials, 4.56 axle ratio, Bilstein® shocks, 12,000-lb Warn® winch, and more. And the standard 5.7-liter HEMI® V8 produces a rock-crushing 345 horsepower and 375 lb-ft of torque. Ram Power Wagon is poised to demolish the competition’s 4x4 capability—and everything else that stands in its way."

Ok, a little dramatic but those are the specs.

I really appreciate all the comments and to answer one question, no, the truck has a clean CarFax and is not a Katrina victim. As far as for my own personal use, the truck will be somewhat of a daily driver with the occasional weekend off-road jaunt. I am not going to lift or go big tires on whatever I buy so that's not an issue.

I like the increased cab size on the Ford. I also like the fact that the Super Duty's hold their value - just look at how much the Power Wagon depreciated. BUT - the other guy took the hit and I won't be, no matter which one I buy.

I'm leaning toward the Power Wagon because of all the pluses and the fact that it's an '05 with a lot less miles. But I also got to drive the Red/Silver '04 S/D for a weekend and loved it too. Minuses on the Fords are really overall size for day-to-day use (the Dodge has a smaller turning radius due primarily to its shorter wheelbase as well as a narrower profile than the Ford), more miles to begin with, and not as many 'extras' such as the side air bags, the interior console with outside temp display, computer, and compass, etc.

It's a really hard choice! Keep the comments coming.

Old 12-22-2005, 01:26 AM
BFR250SD
Postmaster
Final comments from me:

If I was comparing that Hoss Edition SD against a Power Wagon, that would be a harder choice. Well, not really, I'd get the Hoss. But comparing what you are, I'd have to get the PW.

Old 12-22-2005, 05:35 AM
BerkshireCoverit
Senior User
Arrow

Dodge sounds sweet, but two ?s,1st Did dodge ever get their tranny problem corrected (around here thats what most dodge owners complain about other then the weak frames for plowing) 2nd Do you ever plan on plowing? ( if so, ford frames much better for that, normally). In one way its a no brainer (newer truck, less miles, little money) but as a I Luv my Super Duty guy (can't picture myself in a dodge). Glad i not faced with that choice. gl oh ya ? , are we supposed to be sending our members to the Dodge Forums

Last edited by BerkshireCoverit; 12-22-2005 at 05:44 AM. Reason: add
Old 12-22-2005, 08:43 AM
BareBones
Posting Guru
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
No reason not to ask the same question on a Dodge forum...

Old 12-22-2005, 09:23 AM
Outpost22
Posting Guru
Raven
I would be looking at a V10 SD instead of the V8. Much better power but less HP than the Dodge, but much more torque. Then you can have the good power AND the larger rear cab.

In regards to your specific three choices, I wouldn't want an underpowered V8 in the SD. The '05 is better with 300 HP, but a V10 is better.

Quick Reply: Which should I buy? Dodge Power Wagon or F250/350?