Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > Bio-diesel, Propane & Alternative Diesel Engine Fuels
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-21-2005, 05:08 PM
Elder User

powerstroke6ltr is starting off with a positive reputation.
propane

what does propane injection entail? Fuel injection modification, or how can i make my own system that is safe?? Thanks
Old 12-22-2005, 04:07 PM

cookie88 has a brilliant futurecookie88 has a brilliant futurecookie88 has a brilliant futurecookie88 has a brilliant futurecookie88 has a brilliant futurecookie88 has a brilliant futurecookie88 has a brilliant futurecookie88 has a brilliant futurecookie88 has a brilliant futurecookie88 has a brilliant futurecookie88 has a brilliant future
f250juggernaut
Thread moved.

Looking at the pictures of the aftermarket systems...it doesn't seem all that complicated. All you should need is a tank, a regulator, and a couple of switches to arm/activate the system.

Not having run the stuff I don't know the specifics of how much and when.
79 Bronco Ranger XLT.. used be the driver, now waiting to become the project.
96 Grand Marquis LS... 25 mpg commuter
Old 12-22-2005, 04:57 PM
Elder User

powerstroke6ltr is starting off with a positive reputation.
oops im sorry...i didn't see this forum... thanks
Old 12-23-2005, 11:25 AM
Posting Guru

Phydeaux88 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.Phydeaux88 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Many folks have tried do it yourself propane systems.
Some have regretted it.
introducing propane into a diesel requires very tight regulation of the propane. Too much and your engine is toast.

There are two types of systems: Liquid Phase and Vapor Phase. The terms refer to the way propane is drawn from the tank and delivered to the point of injection.

In a Liquid Phase system liquid propane is taken from the bottom of the tank and delivered to an evaporation chamber, in the engine compartment, where it is becomes vaporized. It is then released thru a system of jets into the engines intake air duct, just before the turbo.
As demand, usually determined by measuring boost, increases the amount of propane is increased by opening additional jets. This is the simplest system to build it is also the most dangerous. The problem is that a malfunction can allow liquid propane to enter the intake duct. The result is a ruined engine

A Vapor Phase system draws propane vapor from the top of the tank and delivers to the engines intake air duct. As demand increases an electronically controlled constantly variable regulator releases more propane in a smooth ramped up increase, like turning the **** on a gas stove, rather than the stairstep incrementation of liquid phase systems. Since liquid propane never leaves the tank the chance of a catastrophic malfunction is practically eliminated. This system is much more difficult to build because of the electronics involved.

I choose a commercially available vapor phase system called Powershot 2000 it works very well. when properly tuned it can increase available rwhp by 80.

Last edited by Phydeaux88; 12-23-2005 at 11:31 AM.
Old 01-03-2006, 07:19 PM
Posting Guru

Phinxter is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.Phinxter is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
When I was in College a year ago I took a 12 week alt fuels class. We had a F350 SD with a 7.3. it got about 200 hp on the dyno with a exhaust and a chip. The propane injection system was just a tank, a regulator, a boost switch and a nozzle in the intake snorkle. The dyno measured around 440 RW Hp after we installed it.

1992 Ford Ranger Danger 3.0 5spd 4X2
1993 Plymouth Sundance (Member of the Allpar 200k club)
2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited V8
2013 Chevrolet Equinox LT AWD
Old 01-03-2006, 07:42 PM

cookie88 has a brilliant futurecookie88 has a brilliant futurecookie88 has a brilliant futurecookie88 has a brilliant futurecookie88 has a brilliant futurecookie88 has a brilliant futurecookie88 has a brilliant futurecookie88 has a brilliant futurecookie88 has a brilliant futurecookie88 has a brilliant futurecookie88 has a brilliant future
f250juggernaut
Wow.....I would have to say those results are probably not typical of your average bolt on system. Generally, half that is considered an extreme system.

How long did that engine last with a 220 horse shot of 'pane? Or is it still on the road with that system?
Old 01-03-2006, 08:06 PM
Posting Guru

Phinxter is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.Phinxter is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
well how this worked was we had to show the teacher we could add the system and prove that it was functional. We started with a stock truck (minus the chip and exhaust) and added the propane system following the directions in the kit. the teacher would switch the system off, run it on the dyno to see that it was in fact running 'stock' then make another run with the system on. In the final six weeks eight 2 man teams converted and de-converted the truck, and twice he actually took it down the road twice because the dyno got tied up with a CNG conversion thing on a F250 SD. They regularly use the truck to haul a trailer full of race cars on the weekends, and have no problems that I'm aware of.

Old 01-04-2006, 08:54 PM

f250juggernaut
Do you remember what "kit" was used?
Old 01-04-2006, 09:21 PM
Posting Guru

Not a clue

Old 01-04-2006, 09:45 PM
Posting Guru

Phydeaux88 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.Phydeaux88 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phinxter
When I was in College a year ago I took a 12 week alt fuels class. We had a F350 SD with a 7.3. it got about 200 hp on the dyno with a exhaust and a chip. The propane injection system was just a tank, a regulator, a boost switch and a nozzle in the intake snorkle. The dyno measured around 440 RW Hp after we installed it.
The system you describe could be almost any commercially available system or a home made one because those are the essential parts.
How was the pane released into the air intake was it just a tube coming from the regulator or was there a jet in the end of the tube. Could you tell whether the pane was drawn from the top or bottem of the tank (thats not always easy to do).
Old 01-04-2006, 10:13 PM
Posting Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phydeaux88
The system you describe could be almost any commercially available system or a home made one because those are the essential parts.
How was the pane released into the air intake was it just a tube coming from the regulator or was there a jet in the end of the tube. Could you tell whether the pane was drawn from the top or bottem of the tank (thats not always easy to do).
the tube was an aluminum nozzle and had a diagonal cut. I pretty sure the propane was from the bottom of the tanks, all of the tanks we used were that way. The 2 tanks were mounted behind the rear axle. I'm trying to remember something that I did a year ago.

Old 01-05-2006, 06:11 PM

f250juggernaut
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phinxter
I'm trying to remember something that I did a year ago.
It's cool if you can't remember, I was just curious. No pressure.
Old 01-05-2006, 06:11 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > Bio-diesel, Propane & Alternative Diesel Engine Fuels

Tags
diesel, ford, homemade, injection, propane, system, systems, trucks