Modular V10 (6.8l)  

Stan's Y-pipe is in !!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2005, 01:43 PM
Antelope V-10
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stan's Y-pipe is in !!!!!!

Well guys I had Stan's Y-pipe put in today. BIG difference , you can really feel the engine not stuggle. I ran a grade I have run in the past at 67-70 mph. The truck would always downshift from OD to 3rd to keep the speed up. I ran this grade after the pipe install and the truck held speed in OD and would accelerate without downshifting if I applied some pedal. There is some SLIGHT flutter on HARD accelleration, say from a stop sign, from approx. 2100-2500 rpm's. There is no noise however if your not romping on it. The ID of the factory pipe "Y" seems to be 11/2". All in all I'am very pleased and would do it again. Stan has been GREAT to work with even though we are not in the same town . This upgrade maybe just what I need for what I use my truck for, IE the 4.30 gears just got put on hold for a while. Pics in gallery.

Old 12-21-2005, 02:09 PM
Jetter
New User
The new Y-pipe looks great. I have two questions for you. First, about how much did they charge to weld it, and second, what is the other y-pipe for that is in the pictures.

Right now I can't make up my mind which way to go. With the new y-pipe adapter or with a whole new exhaust from headers all the way back.

Dennis

Old 12-21-2005, 02:38 PM
Antelope V-10
Elder User
Jetter, Richard at Brace Welding in Auburn charged me $60 to weld it in. The pics with the 2 pipes is showing a long version and a short version. The short version is the one I needed. Short and long part being the big 3" part. So I have a little over $200 into this mod. I was also thinking about headers and such but decided for my needs this was going to be fine and it is.

Old 12-21-2005, 05:15 PM
Shad's EX
Senior User
What did it do to the exhaust tone????? I am considering this mod also. I currently running a magnaflow muffler.

Old 12-21-2005, 05:50 PM
Monsta
Sit. Stay.

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

It sure still looks funky tho' huh? I decided on the Flowmaster Y-pipe that skipperw had installed on his. I sure hope I didn't choose wrong! But then again, he doesn't have anything bad to say about his FM Y-pipe.

Yours one DOES look more cut-n-paste in place more so than the FM part.

Great to hear that you gained the performance you were looking for! That info will surely help many other 2V V10 owners who are considering the same mod.

Old 12-21-2005, 05:51 PM
Antelope V-10
Elder User
I'm not sure it changed the exhaust tone at all? I didn't change the muffler just y-pipe. Inside with the windows up it sounds the same.

Old 12-21-2005, 05:55 PM
Antelope V-10
Elder User
It doesn't look TOO funky The cut and paste thing, yeah it might be, but I like the idea of the head pipes being more of the same length with this mod and everything being mandrel bent.

Old 12-21-2005, 08:30 PM
PMDRACER
Senior User
Where are you guys finding these? Couldn't find them on Stan's, Flowmaster, Jegs or Summt Racing sites.

Old 12-21-2005, 08:37 PM
Antelope V-10
Elder User
Call Stan's Headers and ask for him.

Old 12-21-2005, 09:49 PM
captchas
great job man it looks good compaired to the stock downer sized one

Old 12-21-2005, 11:53 PM
skipperw
Elder User
Originally Posted by PMDRACER
Where are you guys finding these? Couldn't find them on Stan's, Flowmaster, Jegs or Summt Racing sites.
Go to my gallery. I have the Summit part# FLO-Y250300A. You can cut and paste that number in their Search box. That is the only way to find it. It definitely changed the sound of my muffler and more power all the way up. To me, it looks better than the Stans Y pipe, and a lot cheaper.

Old 12-22-2005, 12:16 AM
Antelope V-10
Elder User
To the newbies that are just coming in on these Y-pipe mods. The Flowmaster skipperw is using it is just a Y-pipe. You still have to have a muffler shop fab up the header pipes from the exhaust manifolds to the y-pipe, then the y-pipe to the cat. When you go looking for it at Summit, that is what you will come up with, not a complete weld in.

Old 12-22-2005, 12:39 AM
PMDRACER
Senior User
Originally Posted by Antelope V-10
To the newbies that are just coming in on these Y-pipe mods. The Flowmaster skipperw is using it is just a Y-pipe. You still have to have a muffler shop fab up the header pipes from the exhaust manifolds to the y-pipe, then the y-pipe to the cat. When you go looking for it at Summit, that is what you will come up with, not a complete weld in.
I see what you mean now. The FLO-Y250300 is a generic piece. Hmmm... I'm just gonna have to get under there and figure out my best course of action. I can weld and all, but I don't have access to a mandrel-style pipe bender.

Thanks guys.

Old 12-22-2005, 01:03 AM
skipperw
Elder User
My friend in Dallas does great muffler work as you can see it in my gallery. He charged me $50 for the whole job. Also had him do the traction bars. You can check out his work on page 2.

Old 12-22-2005, 07:26 AM
captchas
Wink easy guys

easy guys ! brett did us all a favor by showing us how the other looks and fits. stans is a fast to do job. with a good look when done. flow master is a longer pipe .
they both come down to the one big item. that pitifull front pipe area with all the down sized pipeing the that robs so much power on the 2 valve motor.
brett thanks for having the brass to say, hay heres what the other one looks like. now we can look at your and skips gallerys and each person doing this mod. can make up thier mind about which one they are going to use.
thanks to few v10ers we have tech gallerys to look into for mods that have been done and know how each works before we put down our hard earned coin, and with todays costs of living it is hard earned.
these gallerys are from a rare breed of us that love this motor above and behond. we have blowers, exhaust, suspension, trans, gear swaps. and what else that are from our v10 men, does the 6.0 area have that?
we v10 lovers are a great bunch and in here sure work hard to show and help each other do a better , easier job when we do some thing to our rides.
happy holidays guys and all of fte. our ford trucks rule the road.

Quick Reply: Stan's Y-pipe is in !!!!!!