1997 - 2003 F150 1997-2003 F150, 1997-1999 F250LD, 7700 & 2004 F150 Heritage

Keyless entry

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2005, 08:45 AM
couleeman
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Keyless entry

I have been told that some trucks were set up for Keyless entry even if the Keypads were not sold with the trucks. Is there a way to tell without taking the truck to the dealer if I can just buy the keypads or do I need to take the truck in to find out.

My truck is a 2001 XLT Supercrew. It has power locks and windows and the keys have the chip in them (have to be programmed at the dealer).

Any guideance would be appreciated, I just don't want to pay for a dealer to check it out to find out it won't work.

Old 12-21-2005, 09:30 AM
03redstx
Tuned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
anything with power locks should be able to accept the keyless entry pad. I'm thinking of adding it to my truck, and its an '03 Stx with the xlt pkg. U can put the keypad anywhere on the truck I'm an idiot, didn't read your post thoroughly, but yes you are still able to add the keypads, they just have to be programmed

Old 12-21-2005, 09:51 AM
92merc
Tuned
Do you have the keyfob door lock/unlock? If you do, then you should be able to add a keypad. I'm not sure the wiring is there in the door or not though.

You can also get a "stick on" keypad that works the same way as the keyfob. That's the route I went. I bought mine off Ebay for maybe $100. It's an actual Ford product. But to program it, you go through a key sequence inside the truck. Then you hit a button on one keyfob, then the next, then you hit the keypad. Then all three are setup for radio access. Then the keypad works just like a regular pad. Just wireless. This is also a cool option if you want to put in on the drivers side, or anywhere on the truck.

It's not quite as "cosmetically" nice as it sticks out a bit. But I figured Hey, it's just a truck. And I'd rather have one that sticks out than not at all.

Old 12-21-2005, 10:16 AM
couleeman
Posting Guru
I do not have the keyfob that goes on the key chain. I guess I should clarify. That is what I want to get and I am wondering if my truck is set up for it.

Old 12-21-2005, 02:13 PM
msu-dawg
Junior User
Did you buy your truck used? I'm wondering if they just lost the key fob before you bought your truck. According to Edmunds website, Keyless entry is a standard feature on an 01 SuperCrew. If your truck has keyless then you should be able to just get a fob and perform the overly-complicated programming procedure.

Old 12-21-2005, 02:15 PM
msu-dawg
Junior User
Originally Posted by couleeman
Is there a way to tell without taking the truck to the dealer
And best of luck actually getting someone at the dealer to give your a straight answer or not rip you off to "add" something that you may already have.

Old 12-21-2005, 03:23 PM
couleeman
Posting Guru
I found out how to check to see if I have keyless entry availability.

According to the dealer (Neighbors Uncle), you turn your key on and off 8 times and if the doors lock up and down then it is in program mode. If it goes to program mode, than you can get the FOB pads or the keyless entry pads. If it does nothing, than it isn't set up for it. I will check it out tonight and let you know.

Old 12-21-2005, 03:42 PM
msu-dawg
Junior User
Originally Posted by couleeman
turn your key on and off 8 times and if the doors lock up and down then it is in program mode.
I guess that makes sense that if it goes into program mode then it has KE and if it doesn't then........
FYI, my 02 screw, which does have KE, has that programming procedure in the owner's manual. Have you looked at yours to see if those instructions are in there?

Old 12-21-2005, 05:20 PM
ranger88a
Elder User
Do what msu-dawg says thats the easiest way to tell.

Old 12-21-2005, 05:23 PM
steve(ill)
Hotshot
Received 115 Likes on 102 Posts
i would have guessed ALL supercrews were setup for this. i think wiring is same on all the trucks, just left off a few details if not ordered.