1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

running then dies, but starts back up

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2005, 07:21 AM
RichPSD
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
running then dies, but starts back up

Ok, something happened last night and again this morning. Yesterday as I was leaving work, while at a stop light, the motor just stopped. I started it back up and it ran, put it in gear and drove for about 30 feet and then it died again. I started it back up, again no problems starting brought the rpms up for a moment, then let off, put it in drive and drove home. This morning, after startup, the truck would run fine, only 5 degrees too, as its running for about 5 mins it died. Went through the same start dies start dies for about 4 times and then drove it to work. When it dies it's like shutting it off with the key.

<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-comfficeffice" /><o></o>

What do you guys thik it is? Is it the fuel filter? Water in the fuel? Fuel pre-heater? Or could it be the CPS? I’m going to pick up an extra CPS today, along with the o-rings I asked about yesterday. Like to nip this one in the butt before it leaves me stranded without a warmer coat. Aslo, anyone have a part number for the CPS? Probably should pick up a fuel filter too since I’ve never changed the new to me truck.

Thanks again,
Rcih

Old 12-21-2005, 07:54 AM
stroker2
Senior User
Sounds like the CPS. There is a "How to replace...CPS" article in the article/specs area at the top of this web page. It also has the part numbers in it but here they are:

Ford Part #'s: Before engine serial #375549 F6T012K073A
Serial #375549 and above F7T012K073A

International Part #'s: Before engine serial #375549 1821720C98
Serial #375549 and above 1825899C93

The serial number split happened in '97 so be sure to get the right part number. Best place for a CPS is a International dealer about $100, Ford price about $180 - $200. Avoid AutoZone, I've read too many problems. Advanced Auto carries them but don't know the price.

Problem could also be gelled fuel in those temps. Are you running any kind of fuel additive? I would recommend PowerService DieselKleen, white bottle, available at Walmart. It has anti-gelling agents in it.

Last edited by stroker2; 12-21-2005 at 08:03 AM.
Old 12-21-2005, 08:26 AM
RichPSD
Junior User
I haven't been running any anti-gelling agent, will pick some up today. Where can I find the serial number, will the number be on the valve cover? I did notice so hp specs there, but didn't look it over.

Now the CPS just doesn't die all at once, but intermittingly?

thanks again,

Old 12-21-2005, 08:30 AM
RichPSD
Junior User
found its local in the article...

Old 12-21-2005, 08:50 AM
stroker2
Senior User
If the serial number sticker is not there (mine wasn't), the engine serial number is also located on the engine block by the oil filter. Take a straight line from the top of the oil filter across to the engine block, there should be a flat place on the block with the serial number etched into the metal. It may be covered with crud so you may have to wipe it off to find it.

Yes, the CPS can go or become intermittent. Sometimes it fails out-right and sometimes it goes intermittent. Mine went intermittent and acted much like your problem.

Old 12-21-2005, 11:32 AM
1996pwrstrk
Cargo Master
I vote for the cps also if your fuel was gelled you would be dead in the water till you put an additive in the fuel or warmed it up .

Dave

Old 12-21-2005, 12:25 PM
utahcrew
Senior User
Ditto on the cps mine did the exact same thing. Go to International for the part, not ford. Also it is very easy to fix. Good luck man.

Old 12-21-2005, 02:37 PM
willbd
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
My CPS failed @ 143K. Pick up new CPS @ International dealer $112.31
The parts person told me that they have a new improved CPS. Part number is 1821720C99. Old number is 1821720C98

Old 12-22-2005, 05:57 AM
RichPSD
Junior User
Well, I left work early yesterday, banged in half day, and on my way to the international dealer, on the interstate, she dies at the top of a bridge where there is only two feet of break-down lane, asked myself, “is this it, or will she start”? The intermittingly deal has me puzzled, in any case she starts and I decided to just get her home. Went to the dealership in another vehicle and got the part at a price of 99 dollars and some change. My serial number was still on the motor, paper looks almost new and was of the “after serial number 0xxxxxx” vintage Part number is different then willbds, thanks stroker2 for the heads up. I went across the street to the Ford dealer for other parts, 3 dollars in o-rings, then two buildings down to wally-world for some diesel-Kleen, washer fluid and an air freshener, then back home with about and 1 ½ of day light left.

The jobs took about an hour, new o-ring for breather adapter valve, washer fluid, air freshener, and the infamous CPS, (a.k.a.CAMP). It would have taken less time, but I dropped the 10mm bolt in the grass and couldn’t find it, thought it went up and in the radiator compartment. In any case I went Christmas shopping all last night and the dive in this morning was without incident. Ya’ll were right on the money, it was the CPS.

Forgot to mention, the CPS went at 120,000 miles.

Thanks again to all you guys who help, I couldn’t afford to own a diesel if it wasn’t for this forum!

/Rich

Old 12-22-2005, 02:32 PM
stroker2
Senior User
RichPSD,
Willbd may given a good part number. It's my understanding that International, or their supplier, does make changes / "improvements" to the CPS occasionally. Some result in new part numbers, some do not. Not all dealerships may have the new part yet or they operate on the FIFO, (first in, first out) inventory management practices. I'm sure they don't want to throw away $100 parts when they are still "good". I have the same part number CPS in my truck that you have, so hopefully they'll last a long time. It would be nice to know what "improvements" they made to the thing.

Willbd,
Did you notice any physical differences between the old and new CPS?

Old 12-22-2005, 04:16 PM
1997F-350
Postmaster
the two different part numbers are probably for the
94.5&95
and the 96 up

both work but have different metal for the contacts.......

if you really want to spice it up...
throw in a dt466 cps the "BLUE" one.....

Old 12-22-2005, 04:21 PM
cookie88
Hotshot
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by 1997F-350
if you really want to spice it up...
throw in a dt466 cps the "BLUE" one.....
What's the advantage?

Old 12-22-2005, 04:57 PM
stroker2
Senior User
1997F-350,
I assume you've been following the info on the dt466 cps on tds. Interesting but still too early to try one myself.

cookie,
Suppose to be stronger, more consistent signal from CPS. Arguement whether it advances or retards signal in t444/psd. Supposedly engine runs abit more quiet, some mpg improvement, easier starts. Interesting comment was the t466 people were putting in t444 cps.

Last edited by stroker2; 12-22-2005 at 05:21 PM.
Old 12-22-2005, 05:34 PM
willbd
Senior User
Originally Posted by stroker2
RichPSD,
Willbd may given a good part number. It's my understanding that International, or their supplier, does make changes / "improvements" to the CPS occasionally. Some result in new part numbers, some do not. Not all dealerships may have the new part yet or they operate on the FIFO, (first in, first out) inventory management practices. I'm sure they don't want to throw away $100 parts when they are still "good". I have the same part number CPS in my truck that you have, so hopefully they'll last a long time. It would be nice to know what "improvements" they made to the thing.

Willbd,
Did you notice any physical differences between the old and new CPS?
The truck seemed to be off slightly before the CPS failed. I have only 50 miles on it since replacing the CPS. Next week I will be pulling my little camp trailer to the Oregon coast and let you know if there is any difference.

The part number I installed is for 94.5 to early 97.

Old 12-23-2005, 04:44 PM
willbd
Senior User
Originally Posted by willbd
The truck seemed to be off slightly before the CPS failed. I have only 50 miles on it since replacing the CPS. Next week I will be pulling my little camp trailer to the Oregon coast and let you know if there is any difference.

The part number I installed is for 94.5 to early 97.
I made a trip in to Portland today and noticed that EGT was 100* lower than before the CPS failed.
Before 800* @ 60 mph on I5. This is level ground no not towing.
Today 700* @ 60 mph on I5. This is level ground no not towing.
I just installed the Pryometer about a month ago so I dont have a lot of data for what is the normal EGT for this truck.

Quick Reply: running then dies, but starts back up