1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

fox 2.0 and/or 2.5 owners

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2017, 09:47 AM
speakerfritz
Hotshot
Received 978 Likes on 753 Posts
fox 2.0 and/or 2.5 owners

curious if any owners of fox 2.0 or 2.5 shocks added nitrogen pressure to their shocks?

the booklet that came with my 2.5's said the 2.5's come with 200 PSI from the factory. also said the range is 10 PSI thru 500 PSI.

the booklet also says you can use PSI to change ride height but to rely on valving for dampening.

my shocks are sitting at 1/4 tube exposure...so travel range is not much. I would like to change this to at least 1/3 tube exposed.

I ordered the gauge, hose kit to refill these shocks and want to see how practical it is to add PSI.

interested in comments from anyone who has done this......

Old 05-27-2018, 05:30 PM
Ndflsh
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by speakerfritz
curious if any owners of fox 2.0 or 2.5 shocks added nitrogen pressure to their shocks?

the booklet that came with my 2.5's said the 2.5's come with 200 PSI from the factory. also said the range is 10 PSI thru 500 PSI.

the booklet also says you can use PSI to change ride height but to rely on valving for dampening.

my shocks are sitting at 1/4 tube exposure...so travel range is not much. I would like to change this to at least 1/3 tube exposed.

I ordered the gauge, hose kit to refill these shocks and want to see how practical it is to add PSI.

interested in comments from anyone who has done this......
old thread but was curious what you came up with. I’ve been looking into the inner workings an revalving Fox 2.0 on my f-350.

Old 05-28-2018, 08:36 AM
speakerfritz
Hotshot
I bought a guage and hose kit from amazon.

I had 2 argon/nitrogen tanks from a welding kit and had 1 tank refilled to 100% nitorgen. fyi, most tanks need 5yr inspection certificates and most gas sellers will not sell gas to tanks they do not sell. so dont buy the 59 dollar harbor frieght tank and expect anyone to refill it. buy the tank where you get the gas.

so yes, Ive added gas a few times. my truck is an f-450 drw wieghts in at 9500lbs. the change from 200 to 400lbs does not add a whole lot of lift height but it did add some compression resistance. wasnt the final tweek.

wound up putting the gas back to 200, and adding summo springs (bump stop type) that pretty much gave me the best ride.

added OUO tracktion bars and that pretty much finished the suspension project. truck rides firm and level and obivious to bumps.

Old 05-29-2018, 06:53 AM
Ndflsh
New User
I bought a guage and hose kit from amazon.

I had 2 argon/nitrogen tanks from a welding kit and had 1 tank refilled to 100% nitorgen. fyi, most tanks need 5yr inspection certificates and most gas sellers will not sell gas to tanks they do not sell. so dont buy the 59 dollar harbor frieght tank and expect anyone to refill it. buy the tank where you get the gas.

so yes, Ive added gas a few times. my truck is an f-450 drw wieghts in at 9500lbs. the change from 200 to 400lbs does not add a whole lot of lift height but it did add some compression resistance. wasnt the final tweek.

wound up putting the gas back to 200, and adding summo springs (bump stop type) that pretty much gave me the best ride.

added OUO tracktion bars and that pretty much finished the suspension project. truck rides firm and level and obivious to bumps.
Thanks. What valving did yours come with?.... it’s written on the dust cap(where the shaft goes in the body usually has a set of numbers with a dash between like 30/90). And who did you get them from?...reason I ask is some valve what they sell differently.

Old 05-29-2018, 07:39 AM
speakerfritz
Hotshot
Originally Posted by Ndflsh

Thanks. What valving did yours come with?.... it’s written on the dust cap(where the shaft goes in the body usually has a set of numbers with a dash between like 30/90). And who did you get them from?...reason I ask is some valve what they sell differently.

there are different part numbers for these shocks depending on length and the weight of the indicated truck. Any customized valving beyond that is only done at the factory with a 13 week wait time.

my shocks are installed so I don’t know what numbers are stamped.

i did find out is relatively easily to change out the fluid if you have external resivor by disconnecting the hose.

which I might do at some point as well as add the 50cc of float oil at the gas refill valve .

Old 05-29-2018, 09:45 AM
Ndflsh
New User

there are different part numbers for these shocks depending on length and the weight of the indicated truck. Any customized valving beyond that is only done at the factory with a 13 week wait time.

my shocks are installed so I don’t know what numbers are stamped.

i did find out is relatively easily to change out the fluid if you have external resivor by disconnecting the hose.

which I might do at some point as well as add the 50cc of float oil at the gas refill valve .

the valving and part number is stamped on the bottom (if you installed shaft down) on the black cap that holds the dust seal, easily seen when they are installed. The part numbers are just for length, body and shaft size. the valving would be a separate set of numbers but on the same cap.

As far as changing fluid I’m curious to how you would get the oil out of the body from a hole on the top. I’ve rebuillt mine and changed fluid in all 4, it’s not hard to pull the shaft to drain fluid, measure, refill and your able to ensure there is no air in the oil side of the system.

Old 05-29-2018, 10:17 AM
speakerfritz
Hotshot

the valving and part number is stamped on the bottom (if you installed shaft down) on the black cap that holds the dust seal, easily seen when they are installed. The part numbers are just for length, body and shaft size. the valving would be a separate set of numbers but on the same cap.

As far as changing fluid I’m curious to how you would get the oil out of the body from a hole on the top. I’ve rebuillt mine and changed fluid in all 4, it’s not hard to pull the shaft to drain fluid, measure, refill and your able to ensure there is no air in the oil side of the system.
the resivior shocks have a hose with an almost half inch connection ......I’m told the he oil will easily drain out just by disconnecting the hose ......easy to believe else what’s the point of having a resivor.

i don’t now what is in there now.,.boght some 15w and 20w fox oil to vhang bit out some day.

i a tus wanted a set of internal bypass all around but Fox was back ordered 16 weeks.

shocks ride very well...,not like a caddy...but not like an f-450 dually anymore.

Old 05-29-2018, 01:06 PM
Ndflsh
New User

the resivior shocks have a hose with an almost half inch connection ......I’m told the he oil will easily drain out just by disconnecting the hose ......easy to believe else what’s the point of having a resivor.

i don’t now what is in there now.,.boght some 15w and 20w fox oil to vhang bit out some day.

i a tus wanted a set of internal bypass all around but Fox was back ordered 16 weeks.

shocks ride very well...,not like a caddy...but not like an f-450 dually anymore.
no doubt it’ll drain.

If you happen to be monkeying around underneath and don’t mind taking a look at your front and rear(they should be different valving) dust cap I’d appreciate it if you’d let me know what your valving is.....mine still rides like a dually because per Fox they were set up for an f250 and valved are cheaper than new shocks. Thanks

Old 05-29-2018, 01:11 PM
speakerfritz
Hotshot

no doubt it’ll drain.

If you happen to be monkeying around underneath and don’t mind taking a look at your front and rear(they should be different valving) dust cap I’d appreciate it if you’d let me know what your valving is.....mine still rides like a dually because per Fox they were set up for an f250 and valved are cheaper than new shocks. Thanks
is there a chart somewhere with gvwr vs valve numbers

also, can you post a pic of where the numbers you want are located?

Old 05-29-2018, 05:39 PM
Ndflsh
New User

is there a chart somewhere with gvwr vs valve numbers

also, can you post a pic of where the numbers you want are located?

Mine are T/90 which is close to a #30(flutter stack) compression and #90 on rebound side. GVWR is not as important as spring rate, personal preference and driving habits. Ideally the rear valving will be different from the front since the springs will act different due to engine weight. Mine are the same making the rear bounce and shake. My front is tolerable but there is room for improvement. Hence why I’m looking to custom revalve.

This is fox’s chart but others sell thicker and thinner shim stacks.

Old 09-29-2018, 10:41 AM
speakerfritz
Hotshot
So I was unable to read any shin numbers .

but , I did learn you can tweak the tide with oil.

the owners flyer says up to 50ml in increments of 10ml added thru the gas charge valve.

so in the search for what kind of oil I learned ther is shock oil, shock fluid, shock bath oil, float oil.

Float oil is 80wt so I decided to use that since float oil is designed for the air cavity.

i wound up putting 30ml in the from and 50ml in the back after s few runs.

so yes, it changed the dampening characterization. Less road detail and more sense of dampening.

so I wound need to play with shins or change the oil from the stock 7/10 weight to something higher.

also, if you get the dsc versions your going to be wasting your money for on toad use. My rears are dsc and I played with the various settings and wound up at the lowest for both dials. The dials st their max will increase high speed up to 60% and increase slow speed up to 120%. 100% increase means double from stock and yes it does feel that way.

so probally with high bed or trailer loads I’ll jump under there and play with the dials.

i can’t read the chart and the link is dead. Any one gave another way of getting the chart.

And yes, you can’t tweak the float oil if you do not have a way of recharging the nitrogen gas. I have a tank and regulator kit made to recharge shocks. I put 300 psi in all. The flyer says you can do up to 509 psi but I do not see how that is possible becuase nitrogen will liquidfy as it gets close to 400psi.

Old 12-06-2021, 04:55 PM
speakerfritz
Hotshot
I have another truck and new set of fox 2.5’s

the current setup is 5” lift, 37’s on 22.5’s , 100 psi in the tires.

the fox 2.5’s are 4” to 6” lift versions. Looks like 1/3 tube exposed at rest.

currently sitting at

tires 100 psi

front shocks 200 psi
front shock adjust position bout 25% rotation on both dials

rear shocks 300 ps
same 25% adjust position for both

i think I’m pretty much at the max practical pressure for the shocks. I pressurized them after they were installed and after I added the float oil.

not sure how close I can get to the rated max psi with out the nitrogen liquifying. Especially on compression which I assume will increase the internal pressure.

truck is 2019 f-450 with a ARE cap, decked draws, large tool box in the back.

im currently sitting at

48” fender edge to ground in the front and

49” fender edge to ground in the back.

rides great.

I also have

1000lb summo springs in the front
2800lb summo springs in the back.

comments?