1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rumble strip noise???

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2005, 02:03 PM
redmaple
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rumble strip noise???

I have a 1999 Ford F350 4wd, when ever i hit a sharp pot hole the front end feels like I am driving on rumble strips (lasts for about 40 seconds). Had the truck to the dealer, nothing found unusual with the bearings ,drive train, etc etc...
Looking for any sugestions or folks who have had the same problem...

Old 12-20-2005, 03:09 PM
jdmorg
Posting Guru
Can a sharp enough pothole change the actual shape of a tire temporarily? I know you can bang up a rim through a tire, but could it make some kind of mark in the tire that works itself out eventually?

Redmaple, I'm not sure what it is with yours, I'm just thinking out loud. Someone else will chime in soon enough. Welcome to FTE

Old 12-20-2005, 03:11 PM
redmaple
New User
Thanks for the welcome, literally sounds like you are driving over rumble strips, first time I thought I had a tire going down, but had all the tires checled to make sure one was separating.

Old 12-20-2005, 03:24 PM
cigarxtc
Postmaster
That's an odd one. I'd be tempted to take one of the tires off, make sure it's inflated a little more than recommended. Then bounce it like a basketball on the driveway or cement pavement, to see if there is anything bouncing/rolling around inside the tire. If water, sand, old valve stems, rubber chunks, or other debris are inside and rolling, when you hit a hard enough bump they dislodge and move to somewhere else in the tire until about 40 seconds later they have moved into the natural balanced postion in the tire? I know it sounds crazy or like a long shot, but you never know.

Old 12-20-2005, 03:41 PM
dagren99
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Smile Noise

Did they check the front wheel bearings?

I've heard similiar sounds when one/both of the bearings are on their way out. (Kind of a low rumble - w/ a little vibration sometimes)

If it's a 4x4 lock the front hubs in, drive it and see if the noise goes away.

DG

Old 12-20-2005, 04:07 PM
H2oRodeo
Freshman User
Had the same problem on my 99 F-350. Sound only gets worse, and it was the wheel bearings. Problem is ford only sells the entire front wheel assembly as a unit! Knuckle, stub shaft, etc. About 500 bucks and change from the dealer...apiece! I hear Dynatrac makes a unit that is more expensive, but MUCH heavier duty, and is a direct replacement.

Old 12-20-2005, 07:46 PM
Beast12
Post Fiend
Thread moved from General Automotive Discussion and merged with existing thread.

-Matt

P.S. Welcome to FTE!

Old 12-20-2005, 09:33 PM
krewat
Site Administrator
Received 298 Likes on 157 Posts
Originally Posted by dagren99
If it's a 4x4 lock the front hubs in, drive it and see if the noise goes away.
Yes, please do check it to see if locking the hubs makes it go away - that can mean the "inner spindle bearing" (needle bearing where the axle stub rides) is gone...

Old 12-23-2005, 10:41 PM
kbodge
Freshman User
Krewat is on the right track, had the same problem last year, the noise would disappear when I turned on the ESOF 4x4 shift and would not happen if I switched the front hubs from AUTO to MANUAL. The right side inner spindle (axle support bearing) was shot, replaced it ($12.00) and the problem was resolved. Good luck, Merry Christmas !!!

Kevin

Old 12-24-2005, 12:42 AM
dougger222
More Turbo
I had a similar problem earlier this year with the 99 F250 Super Duty. The ball joints were replaced at 150K miles and at 190K miles the problem started.

When ever I hit a bump in the road I got a noise out of the front driver side that sounded like the noise your wheels make when going over an overpass or bridge. The noise started like a hum got got louder over a one month time frame. A bump would also make the noise go away.

One day I took the hub assembly off and brought it to Ford to have a tech inspect it for wear. The tech said it looked okay but it wouldn't be bad to replaced the race bearing on the outer section. I then brought the hub to the parts department and asked about buying the race only and was told I couldn't buy it, only the whole hub assembly! Going on the advice of the Ford tech I cleaned the hub and applied some grease to the race bearings put the hub back on and all has been good, now have 209K miles and no more noise.

Old 12-24-2005, 07:15 AM
aprete
New User
Originally Posted by kbodge
Krewat is on the right track, had the same problem last year, the noise would disappear when I turned on the ESOF 4x4 shift and would not happen if I switched the front hubs from AUTO to MANUAL. The right side inner spindle (axle support bearing) was shot, replaced it ($12.00) and the problem was resolved. Good luck, Merry Christmas !!!

Kevin
I am having the same problem with my 2000 F250 CC. I have a different thread going. But, I will move over here. Mine sounds like a rumbe stip noise, too (although I never thought of that description before it was mentioned here). Lasts for a while, then stops. Mostly starts when I hit a bump. The noise stops immediately when I switch on the ESOF 4x4 switch. Looks like I should replace the inner spindle (axle support bearing). What does it look like? Thanks. Merry Christmas!

Old 12-24-2005, 09:24 AM
FortyFords
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
As krewat has said,where your front axle shafts go through the wheel bearing assm. is a set of needle bearings.these go bad from not being lubed.
When you hit a bump it causes the bearing and shaft to grind and catch causing what you are feeling.
Take his advice and chk it out soon or you will spending bigger $ in the long run.
Rich

Old 12-25-2005, 09:32 AM
dougger222
More Turbo
Originally Posted by dougger222
I had a similar problem earlier this year with the 99 F250 Super Duty. The ball joints were replaced at 150K miles and at 190K miles the problem started.

When ever I hit a bump in the road I got a noise out of the front driver side that sounded like the noise your wheels make when going over an overpass or bridge. The noise started like a hum got got louder over a one month time frame. A bump would also make the noise go away.

One day I took the hub assembly off and brought it to Ford to have a tech inspect it for wear. The tech said it looked okay but it wouldn't be bad to replaced the race bearing on the outer section. I then brought the hub to the parts department and asked about buying the race only and was told I couldn't buy it, only the whole hub assembly! Going on the advice of the Ford tech I cleaned the hub and applied some grease to the race bearings put the hub back on and all has been good, now have 209K miles and no more noise.
After thinking about it the needle bearings were what was greased.

Old 12-29-2005, 08:15 AM
aprete
New User
I am going to check this out tomorrow. Can someone please post a picture of what needs to be greased/cleaned/lubricated or eventually replaced? Many Thanks in advance. I am a novice mechanic not familiar with all of the lingo (but, I was able to install the premium warn hubs without a problem). Keeping them locked keeps the noise away.

Happy New Year!

Old 12-31-2005, 12:29 AM
redmaple
New User
Well, I think I may have solved my problem, replaced both hub assemblies (Parts from Advanced Auto $225 a piece) and 4 new shocks. So far nearly 800 miles and not even a suggstion of a rumble noise. I have traveled some of the same roads that caused the problems in the past.
The old hubs still looked tight from my visual inspection, no loose races or rollers on the bearings..
At this point, I am considering the job done and noise eliminated.