Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Small Chassis Trucks > Ranger & B-Series
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Ranger & B-Series All Ford Ranger and Mazda B-Series modelsSPONSORED BY:

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-20-2005, 09:15 PM
Post Fiend

Ken00 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.Ken00 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Welcome to FTE!!!
2002 XLT Std Cab Long Bed 3.0
1989 Custom Std Cab Short Bed 2.9
Old 12-20-2005, 09:53 PM
Freshman User

sweetpea250 is starting off with a positive reputation.
I once knew of a mid eighties ranger that was a dually with a small block V8. Not my cup of tea, but it was an eye catcher. I say go for it.

1969 F250 Ranger package, bone stock down to the hub caps.
Old 12-20-2005, 10:33 PM
Elder User

powerstroke6ltr is starting off with a positive reputation.
i know arrowcraft makes a kit for the fenders...as for spacers...i have no idea....
Old 12-21-2005, 12:34 AM
Senior User

devilsword is starting off with a positive reputation.
well what are you planning on using the dually for? i mean is it just a show thing or you just hope for more towing compasity in a bite size truck? Well if it was the first JC witney does make an adapter that alows you to bolt on 2 tires to one mounting plate. problem is unless you r are thing just show you got alot to worry about in your wheel bearings that will wear out almost 3 times as fast and the added weight of another set of tires and rims. IF its the second then just buy a diesel daul. The cost would almost equal out to about as much if not more and you wouldn't have to worry about all the problems with body flex, reinforcing the fram for the bigger axel and all your prayers that it works for more then a week. Before my acident though i did plan as a shock to show up to a few shows with the jc witney adapters on the front and the back, then remove it for dally driving. But with the big boom and crushed civic so went that dream
Old 12-21-2005, 07:03 PM
Freshman User

BinaryWhisper is starting off with a positive reputation.
Hi, I have a dually Ranger based on the JC Whitney kit.

Not sure where everyone gets the worn bearings thing from, guess they all just figure it makes sense. I've read some pretty crazy explanations of why it happens. Fact is it's not something to be worried about. The bearings on my truck have not worn out and the dually conversions was done 80,000K ago. It places no more pressure on the bearings then bolting on a set of 50's which is to say the bearings will wear a little sooner prehaps but pretty much all major modifications increase maintenance requirements. I do run the outside tires at a considerably lower psi then the inside ones to minimize pressure on the bearings and of course I use very light aluminum rims.

As for the extra payload, well there is none with this kit. JC Witney's description claims otherwise but IMO they are blowing smoke. IMO this is strickly a visual modification.

Is it worth the trouble for a strictly visual enhancment. We I've owned quite a few custom vehicles and none got the kinda of attention this thing does. Mind you, there is a lot more done to it then just the JC Whitney kit.

I'm thinking of doing a 1st gen Dakota extracab long bed dually conversion once I finish the 61 Rambler ragtop I'm working on.

1/2 the point is to be different isn't it? otherwise we might as well buy a chev :-)

Last edited by Ken00; 12-21-2005 at 08:59 PM.
Old 12-21-2005, 08:17 PM
Posting Guru

Piffery1 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
A friend had a Toyota mini-motorhome (circa mid-70's) that was a dually. It looked like a stock rear axle with special rims. Each special dual rim set-up appeared to be made of one stock rim/center section (inside) and a second rim (sans center section) welded to a circular spacer. I think the chassis had larger springs, shocks and anti-sway bar. A good machine/welding shop might be able to make you a set out of steel Ranger wheels. I say GO FOR IT!
Old 12-21-2005, 10:01 PM
Posting Guru

racsan is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.racsan is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
there was a early ('82-'88) series 2wd ranger on a lot last summer that had the dually kit and a 302 in it, looks cute, but silly on a shortbed. i saw a s/c once that had the dually fenders but with really wide single rear tires. diesel? wished they would offer us one in about 200 c.i.d. the 6.9 (or other V8 ) would kill the front suspention.
http://www.therangerstation.com/foru...d.php?t=148057
Old 12-22-2005, 03:43 AM
Senior User

jrfateranger is starting off with a positive reputation.
You want to build a dually Ranger? Then you build a dually Ranger. Don't let anyone tell you that you can't or shouldn't do what you want. I have thought about this very idea myself. I was thinking of using a 93 or newer and using the flares from a Splash or flare side bed because the body lines would already match. If you "Do the Dewly" I would love to see pics.
Old 12-22-2005, 04:17 AM
Elder User

RotGrubestier44 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.RotGrubestier44 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
In my opinion, there is no such thing as a waste of money if it is something that you enjoy. The whole point of having a bartering medium is to have our wants and needs met more readily. As far as the swap goes, there is a Ranger about 40 miles north of me that is an ex cab, dually longbed. I could ask him what hes got going on with it if I'm ever up that way, but thats not likely. He painted the thing black, but its got bass boat metal flake in it. It is a beautiful little truck. Chrome bumpers and grille. He also lifted it a few inches. Its got a visor on it too. Its an '89, and with the lift it looks almost like an F-150 dually. I say GO FOR IT! Also for the dual rear wheels, you may be able to get longer wheel studs, and use one set of wheels bolted on the right way, and then another set bolted on backwards. (that was intended as a joke)
Old 12-22-2005, 10:52 AM
Freshman User

Glad to see some encouraging posts. If you listen to the negative crap you will never build anythng cool.

Mine is a reg cab with a 6 ft box and it looks correct but I beleive that has more to do with the way it is customized. I'm sure that it would look even better on a extra cab.

Its in the garage on blocks at the moment but I will be pulling it out this week. I will take some pix and post them
Old 12-22-2005, 11:14 AM
Freshman User

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerstroke6ltr
i know arrowcraft makes a kit for the fenders...as for spacers...i have no idea....
I had never heard of arrowcraft so I went and had a look at arrowcraft.com. It made me come back to post a followup.

The Arrowcraft kit appears to be a far better quality kit then the JC Whitney kit that is on my truck. I am basing this solely on the photo's on the site but the adapter looks far superiour although they give no price.

THe Whitney kit will run you $1000 for the adapter and fenders.

Last edited by BinaryWhisper; 12-22-2005 at 11:16 AM.
Old 12-12-2010, 10:42 AM
New User

lowbagranger87 is starting off with a positive reputation.
pics

hey just wondering if u had any pics i am wanting to do that to my truck i have a dually fender kit but dont know who made it and the fenders are shorter in height than some of the other ones i have seen , my truck is bagged and sits low so i couldnt use mine thanks
Old 12-12-2010, 11:50 AM
Postmaster

Supercab has a very good reputation on FTE.Supercab has a very good reputation on FTE.Supercab has a very good reputation on FTE.Supercab has a very good reputation on FTE.
I, too believe that the JC Whitney kit is kinda chinsey I believe its made by a company called "Rikka" something like that-the Arrowcraft kits are far superior and I would just use a nice factory wheel on the rear, I didn't realize that Arrowcraft made fenders too.
I remember in the 80s FORD built a special model of Ranger and used some extra wide fenders and extra wide wheels on the back-I think that looked good!!
If I were to build a Ranger Dually I'd start with a SuperCab & long bed, may be find a diesel powered Ranger for the engine and transmission-may be use some type of Ranger stepside fenders grafted onto the regular bed bed sides to create it to make it look as factory as possible-I think it would be a cool project!!
Old 12-15-2010, 02:57 PM
Senior User

1965f100factory4x4 is starting off with a positive reputation.
talk about a thread from the dead.... its over 5 years old! O.O

MN chapter member
Old 12-15-2010, 06:40 PM
Posting Guru

michigan66 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Talk about a dead horse coming back to life - most of the entries date to late 2005.

If anyone is interested in either the diesel conversion or the dually setup should do a search in FTE for Ranger diesels or check it out on You Tube.

Four cylinder Cummins diesel engines are used in a lot of delivery trucks, so getting an engine should not be a problem. Getting a transmission and driveline may present more of a challenge. A rear axle out of a Ranger FX (one with a Torsen differential) shouldn't be too difficult.

I think this would be a very interesting project (I've considered it from time to time).

My older brother did something like this with a Dodge van, Perkins diesel, Olds F-85 turbo, two Ford manual transmissions (one a 4 speed close ratio, the other a 3 speed wide ratio) and a custom built drive shaft. He had lots of help from guys in the machine shop where he worked. Unfortunately, he hit a deer and totaled the van.

Previous vehicle: 1991 XLT, 2.3 SOHC (Lima), M5OD, 7.5 axle 3.45 gears. Donated to a charity.
Old 12-15-2010, 06:40 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Small Chassis Trucks > Ranger & B-Series

Tags
86, adapters, arrowcraft, axle, conversion, dually, duelly, fenders, ford, kit, mini, price, ranger, remove, truck