1997 - 2003 F150 1997-2003 F150, 1997-1999 F250LD, 7700 & 2004 F150 Heritage

Trouble replacing fuel filter!

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2005, 09:12 AM
AZDesertRat
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Trouble replacing fuel filter!

I bought a little tool that slips in the ends so you can pull the barbed ends out and the rear side comes right apart but I can't for the life of me get the front to release. Anyone else have that problem? I'm about to cut the nipple off and use a piece of hose and clamps to hold the one side.
The tool I bought looks like a pair of double ended pliers that fits around two different sizes of tubing, is there a better tool?

Old 12-20-2005, 09:30 AM
03redstx
Tuned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
U have the right tool, but they can be a bear to get off. I struggled with my first one and ended up coated in tar from the fuel melting the undercoating. There should be a clip holding in the other side that goes through the line. Look at the new filter and you will see what i'm talking about. Just pull it out. The new filter should come with the new clips.

Old 12-20-2005, 02:40 PM
bigdaddyII
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I would just cut the nipple and use the hose clamps, thats what I did on my heater core. Whoever gave Ford the idea to use them blasted things should be shot in the neck and bleed out for punishment.

Old 12-20-2005, 05:21 PM
loujacobs
New User
no,no,no don't mangle the poor thing. there are two sizes on the tool that you use. snap on sells a nice one also. i haven't done this for a few months, but I believe you use the proper size tool and push in to release the "barbs".

Old 12-20-2005, 05:49 PM
AZDesertRat
Senior User
I've tried both ends. I sprayed some WD40 in the ends and will let it sit awhile and try again tonight. If it doesn't work this time the hacksaw comes out! The first side slipped off like butter last night I just can't figure out why the other one won't.

Old 12-20-2005, 05:57 PM
steve(ill)
Hotshot
Received 115 Likes on 102 Posts
as a last resort, grab the plastic slide on piece with a pair of pliers, stick a big screwdriver betweent eh filter can and the pliers and pry the plastic tube off the end. the sheetmetal retainer will bend and give up eventually. you can then slide the new filter in the plastic end and put on the plastic retainer clip. what you will be missing is the sheetmetal safety clip. i have had to do that before.---- but the tool should work.

Old 12-20-2005, 06:11 PM
SuperBlue
Elder User
You can also try blowing out any dirt in the connection with compressed air. Also push the connection together and hold it that way while inserting the release tool. Good luck, I struggle for quite a while on the QD for my gas tank to change out the pump, it can be very aggravating.

Old 12-20-2005, 06:27 PM
AZDesertRat
Senior User
There is no plastic in it anywhere or it would have given up already. Its a stainless steel piece crimped to a braided rubber hose with a sheetmetal clip.

Old 12-20-2005, 11:57 PM
Racerguy
Hotshot
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Don't cut the fuel line and use hose and clamps to put it back together. The fuel is under about 90psi pressure and you don't want it blowing apart.
Push the fuel line in towards the filter while you push the tool into the line.
If that doesn't work you can cut the end of the filter "fitting" so you can work on the line easier. Once you get fuel line down after cutting off the end of the filter you'll be able to see the "fingers" of the retainer clip and you may be able to see why they wont release.