1997 - 2003 F150 1997-2003 F150, 1997-1999 F250LD, 7700 & 2004 F150 Heritage

single vs. dual exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2005, 12:37 AM
Fordphine
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
single vs. dual exhaust

Wanting to try out a good ole flowmaster or magnaflow exhaust to see where that puts my mpg...but am debating on single or dual exhaust. I am assuming that the stock single is for some sort of beneficial restriction purposes and allows for the best mpg as is but I probably am wrong, am I?

Old 12-20-2005, 05:46 AM
IB Tim
Site Administrator
Received 58 Likes on 30 Posts
...Welcome to Ford Truck Enthusiasts!
Stick around someone will be by shortly to answer your question.
We are happy you have chosen the best source for Fords!

Enjoy FTE....and
JOIN CLUB FTE -SUPPORT THE FORUMS!
…..See you on the boards.

Old 12-20-2005, 05:59 AM
mat-helm
Senior User
There are a lot of guys here who talk about back pressure but these aren't 2 cycle motors we're talking about. There is something to the "back pressure" thing and valve spring rate etc.. but unless you're gonna run straight pipes up through the hood, I wouldn't worry about it. The less restriction, the easier it's gonna breath. And as restrictive as the catalytic converters are on these things, you don't even need a muffler on it. Straight pipe on it is not at all loud, just a mellow tone. True dual's on one is possable but not an easy job (gas tanks in the way). Plus I don't thing the bennefit is worth the trouble. The one I'm working on now had a straight pipe on it with a Y attached where the muffler use to be, and duals run out (and over the diff and around the spare) the back. It would have been easier for them to split it into duals behind the diff with the same result. I chopped all that off and routed a single out just in front of the pass side rear tire ( put one a those camaro rectangle shaped tips on it, looks cool).

Old 12-20-2005, 09:34 AM
03redstx
Tuned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Fordphine
Wanting to try out a good ole flowmaster or magnaflow exhaust to see where that puts my mpg...but am debating on single or dual exhaust. I am assuming that the stock single is for some sort of beneficial restriction purposes and allows for the best mpg as is but I probably am wrong, am I?
Like the other guy said, duals aren't really worth the trouble. Single catback setups are very simple to install, and you can pick from so many setups from different manufacturers.

Old 12-20-2005, 11:50 AM
Fordphine
New User
Thank you guys so much.. one last question if I may, would it be worth getting a quality catalytic if I chose to do away with the muff. since I would have those funds anyways that I save from not buying a muff?

Old 12-20-2005, 11:58 AM
mat-helm
Senior User
The cats that are on it go for about 200 plus a peice. Plus there built into the dwon and cross over pipes. I think it would be only if you were installing header's on it also. Plus if you got a better flowing cat, you might then need a muffler.

Old 12-20-2005, 06:09 PM
Fordphine
New User
Okay, I am looking for some headers before I continue with the rest of the exhaust, is it illegal and how bad for the environment is it if I cut the cat. conv. out of the picture all together, and could I gain mpg by doing so?

Old 12-20-2005, 06:50 PM
mat-helm
Senior User
It's a felony. lol Really though, it is. It depends what your state laws are and how hard they check it when inspection time comes around. If they use a sniffer, then theres no way around it. If they just plug into the computer to check for codes, then you'll have to add "MIL Eliminators" to the rear O2 sensors( you have 4, 2 in front of the cats which control injectors, timing etc.. and 2 behind the cats which are only there to make sure the cats are working). MIL Eliminators can be had for about $10 bucks a peice on ebay, or you could build your on for about $3 bucks at Radio Shack. The MIL stands for Malfuction Indicator Light and the eliminators fool the computer into thinking the cats are still there. btw, you can also find cats on ebay for under $50 each including shipping. If I were going to put headers on one, I would rought outside the frame rails out both sides(driver n pass side) just in front of the rear tires. Theres plenty of room for cats, mufflers or what ever you need.

This is really startin' ta sound like fun project...

Old 12-20-2005, 06:58 PM
mat-helm
Senior User
Oh yea, the environment. This is almost like talking politics or religion. But until we figure out a way to put converters on volcanoes, (which spew about a 100 times the fluorocarbons into the atmosphere in one eruption as man has in the last 100 years) I wouldn't lose too much sleep over it.

Old 12-21-2005, 06:11 AM
lariat97
Post Fiend
I have headers & true duals side exit. Flowmaster 40 series & 2.5 inch pipes. Next mod is a xpipe then I plan to remove the cats & add hiflow cats or just gut the ones on it & add mil sensers. I've been told by Superchip I can gain a few more ponys without the cats. Mat-helm I agree totally on your assesment of the enviroment. I got excelent power gains on a Dodge 318 with just a 3 inch single flowmaster exhaust no cat. Its only other mods were a stage 3 offroad chip & cold air intake. It really picked its performance up & the 3 inch exhaust sounded as good as many duals

Last edited by lariat97; 12-21-2005 at 06:15 AM.
Old 12-21-2005, 10:55 PM
Fordphine
New User
mpg lost or gained?

Well I put a 40 series flowmaster on today just to see if I could feel any power differences and sound benefits, sounded very mellow but nice, I liked it...as for power I can't say I felt any difference.. no biggy as power is in the near future. I didn't say in the beginning so let me update..97 F-150 4.2, 4x4..now then, I have alot of time and grease on my hands so if this thread starts sounding goofy just ride it out with me please..I need all the help I can get. Power is not my final goal it is just a perk that comes with the toys, MPG is what I want to acheive as I am getting around 11 currently.. 285 75R16's don't help on the pavement. The original 4.2 took a crap at 94,000, current 4.2 has about 45,000 on it and besides the flowmaster the only other mod. is a Helix power tower throttle body spacer which may have gained me 1/2 mpg, but some very needed torque was a bonus..anyways, how did I get way down here, dang, okay, to the point batman, next is headers and from there it's a toss up..cut the cat and muff off and run somewhat true duals so that they both exit passenger side since running straight back from drivers side is such a pain or cut the cat out leave the muff as single in single out or...can anyone, given the specs of this truck, vouch for the best way to increase my mpg...one last note, I know I know I'm babbling..cold air intake will be in tomorrow and ye old Diablo may be next depending on the outcome of intake and exhaust experiment.. so with all that said the keys are yours

Old 12-21-2005, 10:57 PM
Fordphine
New User
He He ooooone more thing..ordered royal purple for every nook and cranny I can fit it in.. anybody testify for that stuff, or cuss it?

Old 12-22-2005, 08:31 AM
mat-helm
Senior User
I'm not a big fan of the cold air intakes. The setup that's in it looks to me like it would get more cold air than those after mearket ones. Although a K&N type filter would be a plus. I havn't looked, but I don't remember seening headers for a V6, I only say this because a few years back I couldn't find any for a Ranger I was working on. I would have thought that the 4.2 got better mpg than that, but I guess it is geared preaty low.

And babble all you want Robin, they don't charge by the word here.....yet

Old 12-24-2005, 07:21 PM
looneylariat
Junior User
You guys got me thinking! I have a 1999 F-150 4.6 and have wanted to do something to make it sound a little better. If I cut off the ridiculously huge muffler and installed a straight pipe where the muffler was, do you think that would make any difference in the sound?

Old 12-24-2005, 08:27 PM
mat-helm
Senior User
yep, well be a nice mellow tone.

Quick Reply: single vs. dual exhaust