1983 - 2012 Ranger & B-Series All Ford Ranger and Mazda B-Series models

91 ranger sxt...

Old 12-29-2005, 01:00 PM
nitrocarmsn
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
91 ranger sxt...

hey im new to this site and i might be buying a 91 ranger sxt, here is a link to what it looks like and the stuff on it.

http://autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?ca...rdist=0#vdptop

my question is, it was 137K on the clock and i was wondering if you guys have any problems with the engine/tanny. also it has the 2.9L, is this engine pretty good as far as power wise, or should i not waste my money or time? thanks for your time.

Old 12-29-2005, 01:25 PM
CowboyBilly9Mile
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The 2.9 is famous for cracking heads if it is overheated just one time. I would suggest avoiding it.

Old 12-29-2005, 01:33 PM
nitrocarmsn
New User
it started up and ran fine, im sure the heads arnt cracked, but what about reliablity and power wise of the 2.9 engine, im sure its not a powerhouse but does it have enough torque to whip the backend out?

Old 12-29-2005, 03:39 PM
IB Tim
Site Administrator
Received 57 Likes on 30 Posts
...Welcome nitrocarmsn, to Ford Truck Enthusiasts!

We are happy you have chosen the best source for Fords!

Enjoy FTE....and
JOIN CLUB FTE -SUPPORT THE FORUMS!
…..See you on the boards.

Old 12-29-2005, 07:17 PM
Mike McKown
Freshman User
Originally Posted by nitrocarmsn
it started up and ran fine, im sure the heads arnt cracked, but what about reliablity and power wise of the 2.9 engine, im sure its not a powerhouse but does it have enough torque to whip the backend out?

I had a 2.9 4 X 4 Ranger. Five speed. Four times I pulled an 18 foot Skeeter fishing boat loaded with gear and a weeks worth of supplies to Sante Cooper lakes near Charleston, SC. from southern indiana. Only time I came out of 5th gear on the highway was this gigantic 5 or so mile long hill coming out of South Carolina coming into Tennessee. I had to shift about a half mile from the top.

You keep the 2.9's wound up and they do really well for their size. That thing ran much better than this 3.0 4 X 4 auto slug that I have now. Got better milage, too.

Search this Thread