1961 - 1966 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Slick Sixties Ford Truck

Brokeback Pickups

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2005, 09:39 AM
jethro1
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Brokeback Pickups

I'm sure by now all you guys have run out and seen "Brokeback Mountain", right? No? You Haven't? Me neither. But you've heard of it, right? Well in case you haven't, it's a recently released critically acclaimed cowboy movie that's set in Wyoming in 1963 and deals ever so sensitively with a couple of young cowpokes out on the range and the special friendship that they shared (Not that there's anything wrong with that). I've seen a few scenes on TV (Scarborough Country, last night) and in the newspaper and it appears that there are a few classic pickups featured in the movie. I saw a couple fifties Chevys (Not that there's anything wrong with that. Ha!) that were too old looking for 1963 and one Slick Ford. The Slick Ford looked like a '64. Which, of course, is off for a story that takes place in summer '63. It may have been a '63. But either way, it looked too old for the time. I'm just posting to say that I would have been disappointed if they had gotten the trucks right in this movie. I'm glad they got them wrong. The world makes sense.

Old 12-16-2005, 10:57 AM
Redmanbob
Logistics Pro
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
He knows way to much about the movie [) .... am I wrong ? LOL it's ok we understand your girl drug down there and all...ahaha

Old 12-16-2005, 11:15 AM
jethro1
Senior User
Oh, you're a regular laugh riot, Redmanbob. "Bang! Zoom!" It's like I was saying to my wife (Did I mention I was married? Oh yeah, big time married.), this ain't even a chick flick. But seriously, maybe FTE could package (heh,heh, he said package) an edited truck lovers version of the movie. Just the truck scenes, please. Unless there's a...er, ah.. "scene" in a truck. I hope not. That's just wrong.

Old 12-16-2005, 03:59 PM
Ringo Fonebone
Posting Guru
There is a lot of talk of this having been filmed around Calgary.
Luckily, I have seen the scenery around Calgary, and can stay 2345678987654 miles away from anywhere this movie is playing.

Old 12-16-2005, 04:45 PM
phat56
Senior User
I've never heard of the movie, but then again I'm not much into "those" kind of movies. Although I am interested in movies with old trucks in them. Sounds like you got a sharp eye there Jethro !!

Old 12-16-2005, 08:16 PM
jd_sylvia
Posting Guru

Phat56
That is one nice 56 you have there. It also looks like you have a nice start on that 65.

jd

Old 12-16-2005, 11:49 PM
GregTruck
Elder User
I noticed in "Walk The Line" that there is a scene depicting Johnny Cash's Hendersonville, TN ranch and there is a truck that would have been new looking showing evidence of years of wear. Specifically the camera came close to the door and you could see cracked, rotted, weatherstrip. I think the truck was a Ford but I'm not 100% sure.

If your not into the bronco busting, Rawhide thing you may rather check out this flick about the Man In Black.

Old 12-17-2005, 12:03 AM
Redmanbob
Logistics Pro
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It was a Ford...
Jethro just pulling your chain.. you had 2 know someone would with that post.

MIB flick: at first I thought they didn't do his life rec justice but as the movie went on I do say it was a bit wrenching...I dont think they covered him like they did Ray Charles which is sad but maybe the DVD will have more intelect..

Old 12-17-2005, 01:12 AM
nealjpage
Senior User
Ringo, I'm sure it's a great movie. You can go see it. It's OK.

Old 12-17-2005, 09:39 AM
phat56
Senior User
Thanks JD - Presently the '65 is in the tear down stage in prep for the final paint. I haven't seen the J. Cash movie either, but I heard they spent a lot of time on the drinking and drug thing whereas they should have spent more on the music cuz that's what he was about. I can't comment on the truck thing. Just after saying that I haven't seen the Brokeback movie, the girls at the party l was at last night started talking about it. I guess I should pay more attention to what is happening outside tha walls of ths garage.

Old 12-17-2005, 11:45 AM
Ringo Fonebone
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by GregTruck
If your not into the bronco busting, Rawhide thing you may rather check out this flick about the Man In Black.
I think that movie is more about bending over and picking up the soap than Bronc busting. There may be some raw hide, but I don't want to speculate who's it is. One thing I can tell you, is if I never see it, it will be way too soon.

I did see the Johnny Cash movie and I liked it. There's a '65 or '66 ( can't remember now, a month or so since I saw it) short-wide F100 in the movie that the Carter family pour out of, like clowns at a circus, in one scene. All vehicles in a movie shouldn't look like brand new IMO, just like all vehicles you see on the street don't look like brand new.

Last edited by Ringo Fonebone; 12-17-2005 at 11:49 AM.
Old 12-17-2005, 11:30 PM
GregTruck
Elder User
I agree that ALL vehicles should not be shiney and new in a movie. Really they should show various stages of age proportional to the timeframe. I guess with the movie I was thinking that the time period in that scene would have landed that truck at being brand new. When I saw the wear and tear that could only be from age I was surprised. No big deal. I'm probably one of a very small group of people who would notice such things.

It really bothers me when I see a movie or TV show that depicts 1956 or so and they have a 1974 solid state, color television sitting there playing a black and white picture. I actually see that fairly often. The funny thing is the fact that the family (not one in every room, and car) television once was the centerpiece of America's living room. Probably one of the most aparent signs of the times as the years go by.

Wow! Imagine folks today trying to have one television, one phone, and one car for a family. Truthfully I think that simplicity is what we are so sadly missing in these troubled times.....

Old 12-19-2005, 06:45 AM
jethro1
Senior User
Thanks for all the discussion, guys. My main point was that I usually like it when movies get the trucks and cars right. And when they don't, it can ruin the whole movie. But in this case, it pains me more to think of those poor abused Slicks playing a role in a movie about a couple of gay cow"pokes". So, at least maybe they got the trucks wrong. It would be worse if they got them right.

Last edited by jethro1; 12-19-2005 at 07:35 AM.
Old 12-19-2005, 01:50 PM
Ringo Fonebone
Posting Guru
I am surprised they didn't use new Saturns in that movie, I hope I never meet the poor soul in Calgary who loaned his '64 out for a "Cowboy" movie... lol

Old 12-19-2005, 02:08 PM
jethro1
Senior User
The whole thing is starting to make me sick and I'm sorry for bringing this forum into it. Saturns would work except it's set in 1963. Maybe Nash Metropolitans?

Quick Reply: Brokeback Pickups