1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Interesting AutoWeek Article On The 6.0...

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2005, 09:25 AM
HeatStroked
Fleet Mechanic
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Interesting AutoWeek Article On The 6.0...

Nothing new, but for those of you considering a 6.0, check out this article;

You'll have to copy and paste the link or it will go to Motorhaven if you just click on it.

http://autoweek.com/news.cms?newsId=103776

Old 12-16-2005, 10:58 AM
SpringerPop
Hotshot

Received 188 Likes on 112 Posts
What may be new is that the non-Powerstroke public is getting aware of it. Potential new customers are seeing the problems that we've known about for a couple of years, and they may go elsewhere for their next purchase.

I suspect Dieselmann, and the other tech, Mark Ward, quoted by Autoweek, will have hell to pay for speaking up. I think if they're given a hard time over it, they should directly call Autoweek back and let them know about it.

Ford needs to "own up" to this, and fix it correctly. This mess cannot ALL be dropped on International's doorstep.

Remember "cackle"? A T444e doesn't cackle, only Powerstrokes, caused by Ford's fuel system. Guess they thought they "had a better idea". They had a cheaper idea, that's all. Save a dime. Tell the owners "that's normal, they all do it". It was "normal" for Pintos to catch fire when rear-ended hard, too, but that didn't make it right.

When the engineers throw the bean counters out on their ears, America will again be making first-rate products. To the MBA's, quality is only good for one thing, to be balanced against cheapness to maximize profits. Why is quality not a good thing by itself? It isn't like these things are cheap! But even cheap stuff should have some quality to them, with an expectation that they'll do what the maker says they will.

If you weigh Wall Street satisfaction against Ford customer satisfaction, the user of the product loses EVERY time. EVERY TIME. Wall Street doesn't want to pay the bill, just reap the rewards, and this is Capitalism's "Achilles' heel". In this country, we're willing to kill and eat the Golden Goose, because America will raise a new one all over again.

Where have all the flowers gone, long time passing........(Another quiz for the youngsters: That's the first line to a song. What's the last line?)

Pop

Last edited by SpringerPop; 12-16-2005 at 11:32 AM.
Old 12-16-2005, 11:10 AM
empiretc
Lead Driver
Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
When will they ever learn?
PP&M

I am not too young, Im 26. But I am a big music freak.

Old 12-16-2005, 11:26 AM
SpringerPop
Hotshot

Received 188 Likes on 112 Posts
You are correct on the last line.

Actually it was written and first-performed by Pete Seeger, then commercially recorded by the Kingston Trio, but made FAMOUS by Peter, Paul, and Mary.

Pop

Old 12-16-2005, 12:52 PM
empiretc
Lead Driver
Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
That is rigth POP, but I didnt want to go into that much detail. Especially because a lot of people do not even know PP&M, much less Seeger.

Old 12-16-2005, 01:26 PM
HeatStroked
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by empiretc
That is rigth POP, but I didnt want to go into that much detail. Especially because a lot of people do not even know PP&M, much less Seeger.
I believe it's Seager

Old 12-16-2005, 01:34 PM
arninetyes
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yeah, the cackle ticked me off as soon as I found out about it. Mind you, not just because it was a problem with Powerstrokes, but because of why it is a problem.

Ford changed the fuel system, going to a cheaper, blind fuel rail setup, which caused the trouble (the T444E has a regulated fuel return and NO cackle problem), then denied it was a problem at all. For any 7.3 owner who wants their Powerstroke to run as cackle-free as a T444E, they have to pony up the few hundred bucks to add in what Ford removed - just because they were being cheap.

Maybe Ford will learn - that if you turn over production to bean counters that ONLY LOOK AT PRODUCTION COSTS INSTEAD OF PRODUCTION+WARRANTY+LOST SALES, it will actually cost more in the long run.

I won't hold my breath.

Old 12-16-2005, 01:43 PM
dunbar15
Senior User
do you think they will get it right with the 6.4 litre ?? I would love for my next diesel to be a cummins but I dont think the inferior (rest of the truck is worth it) ..

Old 12-16-2005, 01:48 PM
HeatStroked
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by dunbar15
do you think they will get it right with the 6.4 litre ?? I would love for my next diesel to be a cummins but I dont think the inferior (rest of the truck is worth it) ..
Personally, as far as new vehicles are concerned, I don't buy the first years run of anything that's new..........new models new engines, etc. I let them get the bugs out of them for a year or two before I buy.

Old 12-16-2005, 02:20 PM
Batgeek
More Turbo
I don't know if you will be able to call the 2007 6.4tt a first year engine. IMHO it's what the 2003.5 PSD would have had if Ford started developimg testing the 6.0 earlier. From what I've read it sounds like Ford pushed the 6.0 in production a little too soon. I can almost imagine how that board room meeting went "Ford CEO-What do you mean the new EPA regs go into effect this year? Crap, ok just put something in there. What could go wrong". What indead could go wrong.

Old 12-16-2005, 08:36 PM
johnny8
Postmaster
let me just say this to anyone at ford who has the intelligence to listen... Toyota has the best quality levels for all of their vehicles of anyone in the world, at least in the mass production game... i know, i used to work at a multi product sales center... compared to Toyota, all the other products sold at this place where JUNK..! the only reason i got my mule instead of a Toyota is that Toyota does not build a truck capable of hauling what my mule can haul.. if they did, i would own it.... now.. all of that may be just my opinion... but i consider it an opinion backed up by facts... the Toyota franchise consistently sold the most units, made the most profit, had the highest resale value on thier vehicles, and basically where ALWAYS the franchise that someone else got to finish behind EVERY SINGLE MONTH OF EVERY SINGLE YEAR I WORKED THERE...! this included a Honda franchise... money talks and bs walks... so... take a look at the shape of the Toyota Corporation.... take a look at their stock value... take a look at the strength of that company and tell me EVERYONE on the board of directors at Ford wouldn't like to be walking in those shoes.... if you want to do it Ford... make it happen.... stop spending dollars to save pennies and start building cars and trucks that are the best they can be, not just good enough and cheaper...!

Old 12-16-2005, 09:42 PM
PSNut
Postmaster
Originally Posted by johnny8
let me just say this to anyone at ford who has the intelligence to listen... Toyota has the best quality levels for all of their vehicles of anyone in the world, at least in the mass production game... i know, i used to work at a multi product sales center... compared to Toyota, all the other products sold at this place where JUNK..! the only reason i got my mule instead of a Toyota is that Toyota does not build a truck capable of hauling what my mule can haul.. if they did, i would own it.... now.. all of that may be just my opinion... but i consider it an opinion backed up by facts... the Toyota franchise consistently sold the most units, made the most profit, had the highest resale value on thier vehicles, and basically where ALWAYS the franchise that someone else got to finish behind EVERY SINGLE MONTH OF EVERY SINGLE YEAR I WORKED THERE...! this included a Honda franchise... money talks and bs walks... so... take a look at the shape of the Toyota Corporation.... take a look at their stock value... take a look at the strength of that company and tell me EVERYONE on the board of directors at Ford wouldn't like to be walking in those shoes.... if you want to do it Ford... make it happen.... stop spending dollars to save pennies and start building cars and trucks that are the best they can be, not just good enough and cheaper...!
It's sad...what would happen if Toyota started building 3/4 and 1 ton diesel mules?

Old 12-16-2005, 10:23 PM
mech2161
Posting Guru
I still can't get the link to open.

Old 12-16-2005, 10:25 PM
PSNut
Postmaster
Originally Posted by mech2161
I still can't get the link to open.
Try it now ...it just worked for me twice.

Old 12-16-2005, 11:52 PM
1997F-350
Postmaster
Originally Posted by PSNut
It's sad...what would happen if Toyota started building 3/4 and 1 ton diesel mules?
i heard it the other day

i think the 1/2 ton diesel market is also going to take off very quickly.

i'll leave all the bean counting, problems and new trucks to the "JONES's"....

i'm driving my 7.3 till she goes no further... cackle and all
i also like my mortgage sized truck payments going to exactly that.......my mortgage.
carry on folks

Quick Reply: Interesting AutoWeek Article On The 6.0...