6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Amsoil Questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2005, 09:14 PM
JAMESR
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Amsoil Questions

Has Anybody Used The Amsoil Oils And Filters
My Amsoil Dealer Is Pushing The Stuff But Im Not Sure

He Wants Me To Use 5w-40 Full Syn Oil
Ant The Amsoil Filters

Old 12-14-2005, 09:37 PM
StrokerAce
New User
Welcome to the world of amsoil. Push Push Push.

5w-40 FULL syn is good stuff, although I prefer Schaffer 9000 to amsoil.
I'd guess that amsoil full flow filters aren't much different than any other. In order to maintain proper flow they can only filter so good. Usually in the 20-40micron absolute range. Most of the stuff that damages your engine is in the 1-5micron range. For that you need bypass filtration. Doggone it, I can't get the URL link to work at the moment so you'll have to cut n' paste. Check out this website for more info on oil & filters.

http://theoildrop.server101.com/cgi/ultimatebb.cgi

Last edited by StrokerAce; 12-14-2005 at 09:44 PM.
Old 12-14-2005, 10:04 PM
King of the Road 04
Senior User
listen, use whatever oil u want but from what i understand AMSOIL is overrated...........as for filters, go to autzone or whereever else and buy the filter, all the oil filters are the same, all made in germany. If they arent.......dont use it.

Old 12-14-2005, 11:29 PM
PrincipalFord
New User
Hey Ford Men, I met a guy who used AMSOIL and had driven over 572,000 miles without any major problems. I have used it in all of my vehicles for nearly three years. I use th 0W-30, 5W-30, and 10W-30 in my three main vehicles. I would be happy to send anyone copies of the data the was given to me in order to study the facts regarding AMSOIL. Not only can you drive 25,000 miles and more between oil changes, the filters are superior. The Dual Remote systems filter down to one micron. Ironically, a Ford Engineer got me into the stuff. Best of all, using AMSOIL helps to reduce dependence of foriegn oil, and takes business away from big oil companies. AMSOIL is made in Superior Wisconsin.

Old 12-15-2005, 05:24 AM
IB Tim
Site Administrator
Received 58 Likes on 30 Posts
Jamers and Principal Ford do either of you sell or have anything to do with Amsoil?

Old 12-15-2005, 05:52 AM
Bob Ayers
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by JAMESR
Has Anybody Used The Amsoil Oils And Filters
My Amsoil Dealer Is Pushing The Stuff But Im Not Sure

He Wants Me To Use 5w-40 Full Syn Oil
Ant The Amsoil Filters
"My Amsoil Dealer"? Why would you have an Amsoil dealer, unless you are signed up in it????

If your vehicle still has any warranty, that particular Amsoil oil product is NOT
API certified, as most Amsoil products. This is a requirement from all US vehicle manufacturers. You can check out the discussion in this thread:

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/s...ghlight=Amsoil

Old 12-15-2005, 04:30 PM
firesoutmatt
Posting Guru
D'oh Here we go again ...........................................

Old 12-15-2005, 05:05 PM
Pitchinfool
Senior User
I am running Royal Purple and have no complaints. Check it out before making your decision.

Old 12-15-2005, 05:56 PM
Trigger
Junior User
Does Amsoil even make 5w-40, I thought their series 3000 was 5w-30. The only other diesel oil they have is 15w-40 I think? Thats one of the reasons I dont use it in the truck.
Anyway is it better? Well I have had it in a vehicle that lasted 200,000 plus (I sold it at 200,000). Personally I believe that was mostly due to the Bypass filter. The oil may indeed be better however I'm not sure it offsets the cost, over say Mobil or even Rotella synthetic. To each his own.
Also I do not have any affiliation with Amsoil, but if your going to buy it sign up for a preferred customer discount on their website unless your dealer will give it to you at cost. Then ship it right to yourself.

This is becoming quite the dead horse topic huh?

Old 12-15-2005, 05:58 PM
dPrasse01
Senior User
Originally Posted by Tim Lamkin
Jamers and Principal Ford do either of you sell or have anything to do with Amsoil?
Tim , Looks like a Tag team SPAM operation I have seen on other BB's ... one newbie asks a question and magically , another noob has all of the answers ...

Old 12-15-2005, 06:21 PM
Bob Ayers
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by dPrasse01
Tim , Looks like a Tag team SPAM operation I have seen on other BB's ... one newbie asks a question and magically , another noob has all of the answers ...
Exactly, that's how these Amsoil folks operate! Anything to try and get some free advertising, but it normally blows up in their faces!!!!!!

Old 12-15-2005, 06:39 PM
Struck94
New User
not all the same

Originally Posted by King of the Road 04
listen, use whatever oil u want but from what i understand AMSOIL is overrated...........as for filters, go to autzone or whereever else and buy the filter, all the oil filters are the same, all made in germany. If they arent.......dont use it.
If you think all filters are the same, cut the end off of a fram and then cut the end off of a WIX (NAPA) filter. Look at the differences in the amount of filter media. The WIX will have twice the amount of pleats. The WIX also has a metal pleat housing where the fram is cardboard. The WIX also has a synthetic glass media instead of just paper. This allows for superior filtration of fine particles without decreasing flow rates. Lastly, the Wix filter has a one-way anti-drainback valve designed to keep more oil in the engine instead of draining back into the filter when oil pressure drops when the engine is shut off. This helps in cold start conditions.
And as for AMSOIL, i do believe it is overrated. Stick with a good name brand oil like HAvoline, Valvoline, or Pennzoil. Stay away from "Walmart's Supertech" or Autozone's "Valucraft" Theese are extremely cheaply produced without the antiwear and antifoam additives that name brand oils contain. They also tend to break down faster. I would recomend any of the Lucas Oil Products. These are truly good additives that realy work. I work at an autoparts store and theese are the only products that our top trusted mechanics actually ask for by name and swear by.

Old 12-15-2005, 06:50 PM
firesoutmatt
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Bob Ayers
Exactly, that's how these Amsoil folks operate! Anything to try and get some free advertising, but it normally blows up in their faces!!!!!!
Bob why are you againist Amsoil so much. Anytime theres an amsoil question its like open season ???

Old 12-15-2005, 06:57 PM
ford390gashog
Fleet Owner

Received 519 Likes on 398 Posts
Stay away from "Walmart's Supertech" or Autozone's "Valucraft" Theese are extremely cheaply produced without the antiwear and antifoam additives that name brand oils contain.

what is there 3 dealers in this thread???????????????? the above statement means little and is bogus. those above oils still carry the api sm rating so they meet or exceed new car warranties. GO AWAY AMSOIL DEALERS, crawl back into your hole.

Old 12-15-2005, 09:22 PM
King of the Road 04
Senior User
i know not all filters are the same, but i belive racor makes most of the filters for all the companies........napa, ford, etc etc........ive bought filters different filters, they are all the same filter made in germany with the same paperwork in them and the little o ring.........no fram may not use a german made racor.....but i said that

Quick Reply: Amsoil Questions