2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

rubber around windows

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2005, 07:16 PM
CTremb80
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
rubber around windows

i have a 2004 XLT 4X4 SC. Around my windows there is that rubber edge that goea all the way around the window. Along the bottom of the window the rubber is starting to loose its color. It looks like really bad water spots, but upon closer inspection you can see that it is loosing its color. My truck is not in the sun all day and i even park it under a carport at the house. So does anyone know what caused this, or how to prevent it from getting worse. Also does anyone know if this might be covered by warranty? I would think that it would be covered, but with dealerships giving a runaround now adays, do you think i have a chance of getting them to replace it?

Has anyone else had this similar problem???? Thanks for your help!

Old 12-16-2005, 11:04 AM
CTremb80
Freshman User
Anybody??????............anybody out there???

Old 12-16-2005, 04:44 PM
rusty416
Freshman User
i have the same problem...........................never took in in for warranty.

Old 12-17-2005, 08:07 AM
BlackFX4Screw
Senior User
Same thing here. Hope it does not turn white in the next couple of years.

Old 12-17-2005, 08:13 AM
WhëëlMå1
Super Moderator
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You can probably use a standard vinyl protectant. I think its some sort of rubberized material, so it should respond to such coatings. Just an idea.

Old 12-17-2005, 09:35 AM
Franken-Truck
Postmaster
Protect your rubber now, it will last longer. I put all new rubber in my '87 a few years ago, and regularly rubbed it down with Armoral *rubber restorer protectant something* (forgot name). Looks and feels like new. I'm going to start on my 04 here when it gets warmer out.

Old 12-17-2005, 11:46 AM
CTremb80
Freshman User
hey, just to let ya'll know, i took it to the dealership and the didnt even flinch and told me that they would change it all out for me for free with warrenty. I also showed them that the paint from the bottom of my antenna was chipping off, and they are going to order me a new antenna. So they treated me really well. I didnt even have to twist his arm, he immediatly said yes after i showed it to him. So i cant wait until wed. when i have an appointment to get all the work done. i can promise you one thing though, once i have the new stuff in i will now rub it down with protectant every time i wash the truck (which is way to often says my girlfriend).

Old 12-18-2005, 02:02 PM
homer4.2
Posting Guru
yea i had somewhat of a similar problem on my 05 f150 fx4. On the drivers front window the black seal seemed like it was too big and when it got cold out the window sometimes would not even roll all the way up. I took my problem to the dealership and they replaced it for free. But they had to break my vent shades because they were the in channel type that taped to the inside of the window seal. But they replaced the vent shades without a problem and fixed my problem so I was pretty happy with that.

Old 12-18-2005, 02:57 PM
bigtexan99
Laughing Gas
Received 34 Likes on 20 Posts
Why do you guys act so suprised when the dealer covers something under warranty? Its a bumper to bumper 3/36 plan. Its not like they are doing it for free...the dealership gets paid.

Old 12-18-2005, 04:27 PM
hadaford
Junior User
A buddy of mine works at Fox Chevrolet in Maryland. He said, the dealer makes a heck of a lot more for non-warranty work. GM just pays the minium rates. He did notice that cars and trucks were not coming back for warranty work as much as in years past. Some dealers are reluctant to any warranty work such as Bob Bell Ford in Glen Burnie Maryland. They were terrible at honoring any warranty work. They even sucked at any major or minor repairs. They must hire just anyone off the street and not provided any training at all. I would take my T-bird in and their techs would break something else.

Old 12-21-2005, 09:07 AM
ford9c
Senior User
Exclamation

Dealers will not get paid back by Ford Corp unless they follow the increasingly difficult rules set down by Ford for warranty repairs. It depends on the cost of the repair but usually at least 2 - 3 trips to the dealer is required. That way Ford feels that the customer is serious about needing the repair done. Keep in mind that Ford warranty costs for the F series increased by 500 million for the 2004 model year. They want to get some of that money back. I would recommend that Ford increase their Quality Control efforts but that would require money of which Ford doesn't have much of right now.

Old 12-21-2005, 10:19 AM
Carnivore
Senior User
Originally Posted by CTremb80
hey, just to let ya'll know, i took it to the dealership and the didnt even flinch and told me that they would change it all out for me for free with warrenty. I also showed them that the paint from the bottom of my antenna was chipping off, and they are going to order me a new antenna. So they treated me really well. I didnt even have to twist his arm, he immediatly said yes after i showed it to him. So i cant wait until wed. when i have an appointment to get all the work done. i can promise you one thing though, once i have the new stuff in i will now rub it down with protectant every time i wash the truck (which is way to often says my girlfriend).
gopod info. I have the same problem but never took it in either. I have 60k miles on my warranty so I have a lot of time. My floor shifter is also losing is color.