Aerostar Ford Aerostar

Thinking About Buying an Aerostar, Few ?'s

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2005, 04:43 PM
Rowsdower98
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thinking About Buying an Aerostar, Few ?'s

I'm working on getting my old Lincoln sold, once it's gone, I'll be in the market for an Aerostar. I've never had one before, but I want a medum-sized van, with rear wheel drive and I like Fords so the Aerostar seems a logical choice. I just have a few questions about them before I go out and buy one.
What problems should I look out for, are there any major weaknesses in these vehicles?
What kind of fuel economy can I expect out of, say a 2WD 3.0 powered Aerostar with an automatic tranny?
How abundant are Aerostars with manual transmissions? Are most of them Cargo vans, or is there a considerable number of passenger vans with manual transmissions as well?
Has anyone ever attempted to swap a manual transmission for an automatic in an Aerostar? How difficult is it? Can the vehicle's original driveshaft be used?
If so, what vehicles would have a sutable transmission/flywheel? I'd assume a 5 speed Ranger would work, but am I wrong?
Thanks in advance for the info.

Old 12-13-2005, 05:31 PM
93nighthawk
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Welcome!

There are not many manual tranny Aero's out there with five speeds. The last year was 92 I believe. The auto does not get bad millage (3.0L) around 24 on the highway. You could swap one out of a Ranger, but the cost and work would not save you much in the long run.

There really is not much to look out for, just make sure the tranny shifts, plugs and wires recent (and are motorcraft/autolite,) and the brakes don't make noise/vibrate (they are inadiquate for the job).

Most common problem is Rust, warn out slidding door, and steering rack worn out.

Most parts are the same as what is on the Ranger/Explorer/Bronco II so parts are cheap.

Just thourouly check it out before buying. There are plenty of Aeros out there with 100k or less miles that will last another ten years and 100 of thousands of miles. Most members are over 200k on the original engine and tranny.

Any other questions feel free to ask.

Old 12-13-2005, 05:33 PM
Kruse
Fleet Mechanic
Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts
Originally Posted by Rowsdower98
What problems should I look out for, are there any major weaknesses in these vehicles?
What kind of fuel economy can I expect out of, say a 2WD 3.0 powered Aerostar with an automatic tranny?
How abundant are Aerostars with manual transmissions? Are most of them Cargo vans, or is there a considerable number of passenger vans with manual transmissions as well?
Problems MAY be with the A4LD tranny if it hasn't been maintained. (Actually a good tranny if it HAS been maintained) I get about 23 MPG on the highway with my 3.0 Aero. Manual trannys are rare, but available.
Changing the spark plugs are a PITA, at least the first time you do it. The sliding door has a tendency to stick. Water will sometimes leak in the side windows/rear door. Seats will tear after awhile. Other than that, a great vehicle.
Good luck with your purchase.

Old 12-13-2005, 06:05 PM
ken1mod
Elder User
I love mine. It is what you said, a medium size, rear wheel drive van. Very desirable concept. it offers a comfortable ride, cargo or passenger space, good mileage, my 4.0 is 20 plus.

Be prepared for many, many doofey problems that will be very expensive if you have to pay to have them fixed (serious) or an hours work, or so, after Saturday morning breakfast and 50 cents in cost if you do them yourself. I regard mine as an enjoyable hobby.

I like mine enough that I just spent 1500.00 to fix a water leak and other deferred engine maintenance.

I think, since you speak of swapping transmissions, that you have the necessary skills to become a dustbuster owner. you will undoubtably become another valuable asset to this site with tales of your experiences. Again, I love mine, but it has been insinuated that this has been caused by a childhood cranial injury.

I agree with all previous posts, keep the automatic but take care of it.

Ken

Old 12-13-2005, 08:11 PM
Rowsdower98
New User
Thanks for all the tips, ya'll. It's nice to see other people who are interested in Aerostars. I have an uncle who has had 4 of them.
Originally Posted by ken1mod
I think, since you speak of swapping transmissions, that you have the necessary skills to become a dustbuster owner. you will undoubtably become another valuable asset to this site with tales of your experiences. Again, I love mine, but it has been insinuated that this has been caused by a childhood cranial injury.

Ken
Yeah, I know my way around a vehicle, so maintenace and basic repairs shouldn't be too big a problem. I also once had a strange vehicular love, an aqua marine '92 Ford Festiva that I bought for $100 and drove for a year. It was an awesome little car, everyone wondered why I loved it so much. Dustbuster? That's a good nickname for Aerostars. I always wanted to slide down the front of one.

Old 12-13-2005, 09:47 PM
96_4wdr
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
test drive a 3L shorty and a 4L extended to get an idea of what you want and the type or ride each offers...both engines are long life...auto tranny like any others-not bullet proof and like a good woman-needs tender care and good treatment...abuse her and she will leave you stranded along the road.

look for water leaks front and rear..wet carpet syndrome....

check radiator coolant for any signs of oil in water and air bubbles from head gaskets and cracked heads...common 4L problem

stay away from the AWD...extra repair cost...unless you have a real need for AWD in winter....these are not crik and rock crawlers..the AWD's are dependable thought...

be prepared to do all the non major work yourself, most shops refuse or overcharge to work on Aero's

good basic dependable transportation and will haul a real load size and weight wise without a complaint...
with good maintenance> a great freeway highway cruiser...fun to drive on long trips...great view out the front...

Old 12-14-2005, 08:30 AM
ken1mod
Elder User
For what it is worth, my second car is an 03 acura rl, you have to have a second car to drive an aero, and I am looking forward to having my first car (Aero) back. Cranial damage?

Ken

Old 12-14-2005, 09:13 AM
Pablo-UA
Post Fiend
My futher got my Aero in 1992.

What is the most common problem? A belive A4LD. It lives not longer 100k. I fixed this tranny 3 times (absolutely different problems inside this box of gears and other parts), and now I have manual tranny. It is not very difficult to swap it, but there are some related problems.

The first: to change pedal unit and to add clutch master cyl., to add some pipes... The 2nd problem - cruise control works incorrectly (agressive throutle). And the last problem, may be not so actual, it is possible to drive aero with manual tranny over 100 mph, but you feel vibration. And there is no result, if you try to balance it to zero, to change U-joints... It vibrates. Solution - to install dual drive shaft. But as I can see manual trannies are absolutelly reliable (nocking a wood).
By the way I have code #39 (lock-up) always after tranny swap, but Check engine light does not appeare. ECU doesn't know, that I have manual tranny.

Sliding door is of the ordinary quality, so I had never had problems with it.

About the Rust. I can see rust in places, where paint was damaged.

Suspention is reliable. For more then 10 years (500K) I repalced fromt springs, shocks, ball-joints and seals in steering gear (was leaking).

Engine is good, but spurk plugs removal is for people with long hands...

Clearance is good, and I don't think about oil-pan, exhaust and drive-shaft jumping over road borders, ditches and holes... Ready for light off-road, especially 4wd models...

Old 12-14-2005, 09:14 AM
dnachristen
Senior User
Originally Posted by 96_4wdr
...fun to drive on long trips...great view out the front...
Couldn't have said it better myself! I just love sitting in the space shuttle, contacting mission control. LOL

No really, my wife has stolen my Aero for herself. I feel much better about having her drive it with our newborn. She can see all the way out of it, not really any blindspots.

They are great to take on trips... Lots of room, comfy seats, great ride, plenty of power (even with the 3.0L).

Get one, and become an addict like us!

Old 12-14-2005, 09:27 AM
Pablo-UA
Post Fiend
Wet carpet...

Originally Posted by 96_4wdr
look for water leaks front and rear..wet carpet syndrome....
Yeah! Rear door leakage, easy to fix, by changing some rubber pars.
But in winter you can put snow inside on your feet, and begins to melt, so the carpet is wet..., and rust a bit later...

Just use rubber carpets... Easier to cleane.

Old 12-14-2005, 11:17 AM
Rowsdower98
New User
Originally Posted by Pablo-UA
My futher got my Aero in 1992.

Suspention is reliable. For more then 10 years (500K) I repalced fromt springs, shocks, ball-joints and seals in steering gear (was leaking).
500k Miles???? Is that on the same engine, if so, which engine is it?

Old 12-14-2005, 12:03 PM
Pablo-UA
Post Fiend
s
Originally Posted by Rowsdower98
500k Miles???? Is that on the same engine, if so, which engine is it?
My engine was rebuilt a year ago. It was really hard to check oil every 200 miles, to change spark-plugs every week and to hear cranckshaft nocking.

Old 12-14-2005, 12:16 PM
TallPaul
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Dustbuster? I never heard that applied to the Aerostar before, though it tends to fit. Remember the early Pontiac minivan? That is what used to be called the dustbuster, and its long nose makes the Aerostar look rather stubby.

Here it is, the Pontiac Transport:
http://www.chuckscorral.com/Inventor...20of%20533.jpg
(or just Google Image it if the link dosen't work.)

Last edited by TallPaul; 12-14-2005 at 12:19 PM.
Old 12-14-2005, 12:32 PM
Pablo-UA
Post Fiend
I used to drive Chevy Lumina APV. As I remember there is Oldsmobile on same chassis. Really long nose. No any problem, changing plugs..., but as I remember Trans-Sport is FWD van, am I right?

Old 12-14-2005, 12:36 PM
Pablo-UA
Post Fiend
I have to drive hime, so see you tommorow!

Quick Reply: Thinking About Buying an Aerostar, Few ?'s