Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Where can I find a 5" exhaust kit for a F550

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2005, 03:43 PM
Batgeek
More Turbo
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Where can I find a 5" exhaust kit for a F550

I got a 2001 Ford F550 CC 4x4 7.3 with a pick-up bed. I would like to put a 5" exhaust kit on it, but I'm having a hard time locating one. Most of the web sites here have them for F250s and F350s. I'm not sure if one of these will fit as the F550 is a little longer. The bed is a standard 8' F350 bed that the upfitter put on with the plastic extension between the bed and cab. I'm hoping Kwik will chime in as I see he has a 5" on his F550.

Old 12-13-2005, 03:46 PM
PSNut
Postmaster
Originally Posted by Batgeek
I got a 2001 Ford F550 CC 4x4 7.3 with a pick-up bed. I would like to put a 5" exhaust kit on it, but I'm having a hard time locating one. Most of the web sites here have them for F250s and F350s. I'm not sure if one of these will fit as the F550 is a little longer. The bed is a standard 8' F350 bed that the upfitter put on with the plastic extension between the bed and cab. I'm hoping Kwik will chime in as I see he has a 5" on his F550.
I think i remember Kwik saying he got his 5" here:http://www.dieselperformanceparts.com/ford.html

Old 12-13-2005, 04:06 PM
Kwikkordead
Fleet Owner
Received 791 Likes on 603 Posts
Originally Posted by PSNut
I think i remember Kwik saying he got his 5" here:http://www.dieselperformanceparts.com/ford.html
Yes that's where I got it, but it wasn't made for anything bigger than a 350.
The reason being is that there simply is not enough room to route anything bigger than the stock 3.5" pipe over the axle. BatGeek those Dana 135 axles are HUGE. There is not enough room between the fuel tank and the top of the rear axle. It has to be dumped forward of the axle. The other difficulty that I had with it was the 4" downpipe is about 1" too long to get to fit up behind the engine without removing the crossmember and jacking the transmission up against the bottom of the cab as far as it would allow. Then I was able to wriggle it up and into place. Once installed it fit perfectly.
One other thing: If you decide on this system, ( I recommend it, good quality parts), don't install the muffler where the instructions say to. You have to install the muffler immediatly after where the downpipe bells from 4" to 5". Otherwise you can't get enough room to turn the exhaust out in front of the rear tire.
Now that I have had this system in the truck I would do it again anytime. I love the throaty sound. And it's not any louder inside the cab of the truck with the windows rolled up. And the turbo sounds so sweet cruising along.

Old 12-13-2005, 09:41 PM
day jefro
Senior User
just got my 5' today man thats big im dumping mine forward of the rear axle too through the side of the bed . got mine off e- bay 375$ +80 shipping i'm going to take pics and try to post them

Old 12-13-2005, 10:41 PM
Kwikkordead
Fleet Owner
Originally Posted by day jefro
just got my 5' today man thats big im dumping mine forward of the rear axle too through the side of the bed . got mine off e- bay 375$ +80 shipping i'm going to take pics and try to post them
You'll LOVE the deep tone. The recordings that I made simply don't do it justice.

Old 12-14-2005, 07:20 AM
Batgeek
More Turbo
Thanks for the info Kwik. I'll check under the truck when I get home today to see what kind of room I have. I see you have manual tranny. I've got a auto, will that make a difference on how much room I have? I've got time the wife doesn't want me to do anything to the truck till after Febuary when the warranty is up. With the our twins due in January this whole thing is probably a "pipe dream" anyway. I getting the feeling I'm not going to have any spare time for a while.

Old 12-14-2005, 07:46 AM
Kwikkordead
Fleet Owner
Thanks for the info Kwik. I'll check under the truck when I get home today to see what kind of room I have. I see you have manual tranny. I've got a auto, will that make a difference on how much room I have? I've got time the wife doesn't want me to do anything to the truck till after Febuary when the warranty is up. With the our twins due in January this whole thing is probably a "pipe dream" anyway. I getting the feeling I'm not going to have any spare time for a while.
I've never compared an auto next to a stick to be able to answer your question. I am thinking that auto's are bigger and you may not be able to mount the muffler farther forward as I did. The muffler fits where I mounted it, without rubbing on anything, and without having to remove any heat shielding. But JUST barely. The instructions state to mount the muffler farther back, right before the exhaust is routed up and over the rear axle. That was my difficulty, not enough room, so I had to get creative.
For me it was manditory to be able to use the muffler (wife's sensitive hearing) and have enough room to dump the exhaust forward of the rear wheel. I have a CC with long bed frame. If you have a shortbed frame, that's even less room to work with.
Here's a picture from the bottom. You can see the tail end of the muffler at the top. I guess the shortbed version would simply have a shorter run to the flex pipe.

Last edited by Kwikkordead; 12-14-2005 at 07:51 AM.
Old 12-14-2005, 07:53 AM
Kwikkordead
Fleet Owner
Oh, I got the 5" flex pipe and a couple of extra clamps at NAPA. Too bad you live so far away, I have enough flex pipe left over for your job.

Old 12-14-2005, 08:03 AM
Batgeek
More Turbo
I'm pretty sure I've got a long bed. Mine's a crew cab with a 8' F350 bed that has that goofy plastic spacer between the bed and the cab to fill the gap. Does the flex pipe come with the kit? I know what you mean about the axels being huge no way I could get a 5" pipe around that. Looks like the factory pipe is in there pretty tight. Nice picture, these F550's are sweet trucks. I had a F250 before and the first time I rolled under the F550 to do an oil change I just laid there and stared for about 20min, "I almost cried".

Old 12-14-2005, 08:10 AM
Kwikkordead
Fleet Owner
I'm pretty sure I've got a long bed. Mine's a crew cab with a 8' F350 bed that has that goofy plastic spacer between the bed and the cab to fill the gap. Does the flex pipe come with the kit? I know what you mean about the axels being huge no way I could get a 5" pipe around that. Looks like the factory pipe is in there pretty tight. Nice picture, these F550's are sweet trucks. I had a F250 before and the first time I rolled under the F550 to do an oil change I just laid there and stared for about 20min, "I almost cried".
Yeah they are extra heavy duty.
The flex pipe does not come with the kit. I even tried to use the flex pipe as teh overaxle part - no way, not enough room no matter how hard you try. It ends up too close to everything to allow for suspension movement, heat protection for the fuel tank, etc.
I this your personal truck? RV puller? That's what I use mine for.

Old 12-14-2005, 08:23 AM
Batgeek
More Turbo
Yep, personal truck RV and horse trailer puller. We have a 40' Travel Supreme and a 22' horse trailer. It's way over kill for the horse trailer but just right for the fifth wheel. Bought it last year after losing my wife's F250 and most everything else in Hurricane Charley. My wife said she wanted a big truck. I found a F800 with a pickup bed first but it wasn't a 4x4. Then I found this one for $32,000 with only 53,000 miles, couldn't pass it up. I just hope I still have the time and money to do some mods after the twins come. Thanks for all the help as said before on this site U DA MAN Kwik.

Old 12-14-2005, 07:05 PM
day jefro
Senior User
hey kwik i really want to run mine without the muffler what do you think? i thougt it would be a cleaner yo install the muffler later.than to delete the muffler later. thx jefro

Old 12-14-2005, 07:09 PM
Kwikkordead
Fleet Owner
Originally Posted by day jefro
hey kwik i really want to run mine without the muffler what do you think? i thougt it would be a cleaner yo install the muffler later.than to delete the muffler later. thx jefro
I think it would be too loud. The way that mine sounds is plenty healthy enough for me. I easily set off car alarms driving by.

Old 12-14-2005, 07:19 PM
taylormade99
Junior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm trying to decide between the 4" or 5" system. I know for a fact the 5" sounds like music to my ears and I like music. The only question is are you guys who run 5" seeing any loss in low end torque/power? Any gains in top end WOT power? Obviously you're going to see some lower egt's right? Really what I'm asking is......

Kwik. What do you think? Pro's/Con's.

Old 12-14-2005, 07:27 PM
day jefro
Senior User
Originally Posted by Kwikkordead
I think it would be too loud. The way that mine sounds is plenty healthy enough for me. I easily set off car alarms driving by.
dang i washoping you wouldnt say that i will reconsider no disrespect if i try straight pipe . you are definitely one of the most respected people here!how can i get that sound bie you were speaking of? thx jefro

Quick Reply: Where can I find a 5" exhaust kit for a F550