1996pwrstrk
Cargo Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What time do plan on getting up.

Old 12-23-2005, 06:32 PM
cookie88
Hotshot
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Well, that was a fun day..................

Old 12-23-2005, 07:22 PM
1997F-350
Postmaster
Originally Posted by cookie88
Well, that was a fun day..................
what was the outcome??????

Old 12-23-2005, 08:05 PM
cookie88
Hotshot
Well...pressurizing the coolant tank works exceptionally well at identifying leaks. We were able to isolate the injector cups int eh right head in a matter of minutes. We were also able to identify a bad oil cooler. That's the good news. he bad news is we were also able to identify a huge cracked that spanned the area between the two rearmost freeze plugs on the passenger side.....So, instead of fixing anything we spent the day talking trucks and trying to decide weather it would be more advantageous to try to build an engine out of the two Jim has, or maybe try to trade both engines for a good rebuilt one.

It was good to finally meet some folks off the board....something I'll be doing a lot more of in June, but mechanically....the day was pretty much a flop.

Old 12-23-2005, 08:45 PM
1997F-350
Postmaster
wow that sucks........

i heard you also have a cracked block????

whats going on in arkasas???

i would weld it........

Old 12-23-2005, 08:57 PM
cookie88
Hotshot
Yeah....must be something in the water. Mine is cracked from the same plug, but it's smaller and running in the opposite direction. His crack (the block that is) extends from the rear plug all the way into the radius of the one in front of it. I'm worried that it may loose a chunk and become a catostrophic failure.

On the block welding...how would he/I/we address the problem of the radius of the freezeplug hole? Weld it, grind it and try one of those rubber expansion plugs? That's my biggest problem with the weld...if it doesn't take, or worse, if the weld expands the crack, there would be no way to seal the freeze plug hole. I really, really don't want to have to pull this engine since I would have to rent something to get to work in while it's out. As you know, rentals are kind of a hassle on military installations.

Any certified welders on the site? Any experience doing this kind of weld?

Old 12-23-2005, 09:50 PM
Kwikkordead
Fleet Owner
Received 783 Likes on 595 Posts
Scott are both of you running big fuel? I'm wondering if the added stress of the extra HP is what caused the cracked block.

Old 12-23-2005, 09:54 PM
1997F-350
Postmaster
hmm
my dad welded a crack on my cast iron ex manifold on my 62 chevy before...
it takes a special rod i know but other than that i dont know...i only know how to weld with acetylene torch/ arc/ tig(i burned my foot bad with this).. and i suck at em all except arc welding.. anybody can do that.

yes rentals are a pain...do you work in the hobby shop on base or the garage(the one you drop your car off at and gotta pay)?

you know i had an idea a few weeks back that i ran by my wife for a business but she gave me the ... is to open a thing similar to a hobby shop out in town for the diyer that doesnt have a house/ tools but wants to wrench on there own stuff. maybe even start a chain of them across the u.s.??? she laughed at me...
i think it would be a hell of an idea and a moneymaker...

cookie take it and run with it...if it takes off you gotta hire me when i reitre.

Old 12-23-2005, 10:17 PM
stroker2
Senior User
Originally Posted by 1997F-350
you know i had an idea a few weeks back that i ran by my wife for a business but she gave me the ... is to open a thing similar to a hobby shop out in town for the diyer that doesnt have a house/ tools but wants to wrench on there own stuff. maybe even start a chain of them across the u.s.??? she laughed at me...
i think it would be a hell of an idea and a moneymaker...
Years ago when I lived in an apartment on Ft Collins, CO, I use to work on my Chevy Nova at the time, at a place similiar to what you're thinking. Had 6 or 8 bays, even a liift in one of them, you rented by the hour/day/week. You could provide your own tools or rent them. I think the liability insurance would kill a place like that now a days. With as much interest as I see in ricer up-grades, it might be a hit with the younger generation.

Old 12-23-2005, 10:25 PM
1997F-350
Postmaster
yeah almost every base i have ever been too or stationed at has one they are great. i am sure someone could insure you.

Old 12-23-2005, 10:44 PM
cookie88
Hotshot
Originally Posted by Kwikkordead
Scott are both of you running big fuel? I'm wondering if the added stress of the extra HP is what caused the cracked block.
Jim is gathering the pieces to build a processor, but as far as I know he has not run any.

If I had an old Lincoln 220 I'd just burn it shut with a 7013 and be done with it....not sure if the littel 125 amp wire feed I've got now would handle it....and I know my current welding skills are not up to snuff.

Originally Posted by 1997F-350
do you work in the hobby shop on base or the garage
Neither, I build jet engines. Wrenching on the PSD is more of a hobby than anything else.

I don't think that sort of DIY place would need that much liability....the patrons would have to sign a waiver however......not a bad idea at all......

The drawback for that kind of place is the up front cost for tools, and lifts etc. would be insane.....and if it didn't take off right away it would be slim pickins.

Old 12-23-2005, 10:45 PM
jimkidd
Elder User
Yes it's true. The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe is an A+ movie. My 6 year old son said it's the best movie he's ever seen in his life.

Oh yeah, yeah. Scott and Dave, you guys are great. I had a really good time today. For those of you that don't know, I'm pretty short. But hey, it's cool I'm smarter than most any living person. I can deal with being short. Scott and Dave? They ain’t short. They’re pretty big boys. Matter of fact, I didn’t think Scott was ever gonna stop getting out of his truck.

I have some good news. As you all know by now I did not have to change an oil cooler. We did figure out which bank had the bad injector sleeve. (It was the passenger side) I do have the better part of 2, yes count them 2 7.3L PSD engines. Less that one sorry (insert expletive here) cracked block. Oh yeah, the bad news. That one sorry (insert expletive here) cracked block Pumped some air into the cooling system and Mr. Wise Guy, you might know him as cookie88, says “Hey. What’s that?” Then he some how squeezes under the truck and points out this grand canyon someone put in my engine block.

Click here ----> http://www.jimkidd.com/FORD/crack.jpg (This is a big file. 2.2 MB)

So we come up with these ideals:
1) Trade the two long blocks for a new rebuilt long block.
2) Build a good one with the parts of the two and sale the spare parts for capitol.

My favorite ideal was to trade the 2 engines and a E4OD for a new rebuild and a 6 speed manual. Any takers?

Again. Thank you Scott and Dave for a your help and good conversation today. You guys are a positive for the gene pool.

Old 12-23-2005, 11:04 PM
1997F-350
Postmaster
their is an 80,000 mile psd motor on ebay for 3500 bucks????????

man sorry to hear about your grand canyon

Old 12-23-2005, 11:10 PM
1996pwrstrk
Cargo Master
Talking

I also had a good time today with the exception of the cracked block that was a terrible find but at least we found that before we spun to many wrenchs . I didn't even get my hands dirty .But we talked trucks and trucks and psd and mods I learned alot today thank you both. Can't wait to get together again.

Dave

Old 12-23-2005, 11:12 PM
Kwikkordead
Fleet Owner
Received 783 Likes on 595 Posts
Originally Posted by cookie88
Jim is gathering the pieces to build a processor, but as far as I know he has not run any.

Actually I meant big fuel, not bio fuel. I am suspicious of too much HP stressing the block.
But if Jim has not modified his engine like that, then that theory goes out the window and I have new thing to worry about. Blocks cracking for no apperent reason.

Quick Reply: Worse than before