Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Performance, Engines & Troubleshooting > Modular V10 (6.8l)
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Modular V10 (6.8l) SPONSORED BY:

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-01-2006, 09:53 PM
Elder User

68 351 bronc is starting off with a positive reputation.
mdpopo59, You say that removing these deposits cannot harm your engine, they are disolved and blown out though your exhaust system.

The solvents that are strong enough to desolve carbon in a solid form will destroy the lubricating properites of oil imidiantly and as the piston moves up and down this mixture of extremly abrasive carbon and oil desolving solvents will be the equivelent of running your engine without oil for and extended period of time without an air filter in a sand storm. The piston to bore clearance will not be the same when you are done. Do to the loss in compression you will not have to worry about predetination any longer.

MD, do a compression check of each cylinder. I'll bet you will find it lower than it should be.
There is NO WAY I would do this to my V-10 or any engine that i gave a **** about!

68 Bronco GT40 351w, NV3550 5sp, sweet!!!
Old 03-02-2006, 05:08 AM
Senior User

mdpopo59 is starting off with a positive reputation.
I don't know about your engine, but mine does not use oil to lubricate the piston chamber. These slovents are present in every gallon of gas you buy to a certain extent, depending on the brand, AND in you motor oil you use. It is through the use of these solvents that you keep you engine clean. The carbon deposits are not present as much on you piston as they are around your valves. A name brand gasoline with a large amount of "solvent" additives can help prevent this condition but will not clean a large amount of buildup.

But you're right, if you can keep your engine clean enough to keep from having to do this that would be best. But if you already have this condition then there will probably come a point where the high octane gas will no longer mask this condition.
Old 03-02-2006, 08:15 AM
Senior User

DJR 17 is starting off with a positive reputation.
mdpopo59,

your last reply sounds like it might be my situation to a tee. I have been running super for years now and even with super I sometimes hear a little bit of pinging. I have 165000 miles now and never had the intake cleaned or fuel system flushed. What would you reccomend would be the best thing to do?
Old 03-02-2006, 08:18 AM
Super Moderator

Krewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdpopo59
I don't know about your engine, but mine does not use oil to lubricate the piston chamber.
I think someone needs to go back to the basics and re-learn what lubricates the rings

Oil DOES get on the cylinder walls and lubricates the rings and piston as it slides up and down. Too much solvent washes the oil off and RUINS the rings and cylinder walls.

This happens when there is too much gasoline too - as in too rich, and you'll wipe out the cylinder walls.

I think removing carbon any other way than taking off the top end of the motor is an accident waiting to happen.

But what do I know?
'97 Cougar XR7 30th Anniv Edition 4.6L
'74 F250 Highboy FE390 deceased!
I've been wrong before, I'll be wrong again. Just wait and see. ®
Old 03-02-2006, 10:18 AM
Junior User

Five0guy is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJR 17
mdpopo59,

your last reply sounds like it might be my situation to a tee. I have been running super for years now and even with super I sometimes hear a little bit of pinging. I have 165000 miles now and never had the intake cleaned or fuel system flushed. What would you reccomend would be the best thing to do?
The real downfall to running the preminum for years that you might not be able to go back with out doing a major top end cleaning.
Old 03-02-2006, 10:26 AM
Senior User

PurerockRacing is starting off with a positive reputation.
purerockracing Rich Schultz
if there was that much carbon build on the combustion chamber to cause the engine to ping, would that also show up on the plugs? There should also be alot of carbon on the plugs as well I would think. I pulled 4 of my plugs, 2 from each side, and the plugs look like brand new still. Perfect color, no deposits or funny looking stuff on them at all. Most likely they are the original motocraft plugs with approx. 48k miles on them so far
'01 HR Vacationer 35ft motorhome w/V10, K&N,Flowmaster
'01 GT Mustang Bullitt 5175
Old 03-02-2006, 04:02 PM
Elder User

68 351 bronc is starting off with a positive reputation.
Krewat, that explains it well.
Also, how long will it take to run all of the solvent out of this vacume line? How much will seep past the top ring while it is sitting?
Once a piston skirt or cylinder wall has been scored the engine won't have many miles left.

68 Bronco GT40 351w, NV3550 5sp, sweet!!!
Old 03-02-2006, 04:35 PM
Super Moderator

Krewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurerockRacing
if there was that much carbon build on the combustion chamber to cause the engine to ping, would that also show up on the plugs? There should also be alot of carbon on the plugs as well I would think. I pulled 4 of my plugs, 2 from each side, and the plugs look like brand new still. Perfect color, no deposits or funny looking stuff on them at all. Most likely they are the original motocraft plugs with approx. 48k miles on them so far
Depends on the heat range of the plug, and how far off it's "ideal" temp it was running to begin with.

Using cheap gas with no (or not much) detergent is the more likely factor.

Maybe that "high octane" has no cleaning additives in it? At least for people who've developed "octane dependency" ???
Old 03-02-2006, 07:15 PM
Senior User

Krewat,

You're right about oil lubricating the rings. I guess what I was trying to say is that, gasoline being a natural solvent, would automatically wash any oil off the piston wall during each piston cycle, wouldn't it? And your also right that the best way to clean these deposits would be to remove the heads. Same goes for the intake manifold.

Just speaking from my personal experience, I have been using this method for the last 20 years and have had several of my vehicles between 100 and 150 thousand miles with no problems with oil usage or compression issues. I'm not saying that nothing can go wrong, I've just never seen an issue.

I don't want to mislead anyone that I think I know it all, I don't. I just want to help other people the same as I have been helped through this forum. I guess it all boils down to the fact that each person has to take what they read here and make a decision for themselves.

BG has an intake/injector cleaning kit that my mechanic uses. It comes with a throttle body cleaner you spray into the intake manifold, an injector cleaner you run through the fuel rails, and another cleaner you put into your gas tank. I know that this system works well and BG gaurantees it.

Just one question, what is that schrader valve on the fuel rails for? I always thought it was there specifically to run a cleaner through the fuel system and injectors, but obviously I have been known to be wrong before.(Don't everyone agree at once)
Old 03-02-2006, 09:05 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdpopo59
Just one question, what is that schrader valve on the fuel rails for? I always thought it was there specifically to run a cleaner through the fuel system and injectors, but obviously I have been known to be wrong before.(Don't everyone agree at once)
One of it's functions is to check the fuel pressure. I can't imagine doing that without the schrader or some other valve right there

Otherwise, I agree with you, except I'll never do it myself
Old 03-03-2006, 12:07 PM
Senior User

DJR 17 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Could a bad COP cause a ping? Or do these usually fail completely? I had a problem yesterday with the truck sputtering at 1/2 to full throttle. I was pulling away from a stoplight and it started after about 15 feet away from the light. If one cylinder wasn't firing due to a COP would that cause the engine to sputter? The truck runs fine this morning??
Old 03-03-2006, 12:26 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJR 17
Could a bad COP cause a ping? Or do these usually fail completely? I had a problem yesterday with the truck sputtering at 1/2 to full throttle. I was pulling away from a stoplight and it started after about 15 feet away from the light. If one cylinder wasn't firing due to a COP would that cause the engine to sputter? The truck runs fine this morning??
It wouldn't cause a ping...

That sputtering could be a COP or the MAF needs to be cleaned. Depends on what happened.

Get it to a shop to get the misfire counters read and go from there.
Old 03-03-2006, 01:49 PM
New User

tjv01excursion is starting off with a positive reputation.
I am wondering if my PCM is bad because my truck runs fine just spark knocks. No codes have ever showed. I am considering changing the thermostat to make sure it does not have the incorrect one in it. It doesn't knock until it gets up to temp which is exactly half on the gauge. My Excursion runs a little lower than that.
Old 03-03-2006, 02:04 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjv01excursion
I am wondering if my PCM is bad because my truck runs fine just spark knocks. No codes have ever showed. I am considering changing the thermostat to make sure it does not have the incorrect one in it. It doesn't knock until it gets up to temp which is exactly half on the gauge. My Excursion runs a little lower than that.
I wonder if the knock sensor input on the computer is bad? But then, it would log a code because it wouldn't "see" it (or should).

Guys, is there any way for a knock sensor to fail in a way that the computer doesn't see any problem?
Old 03-03-2006, 03:01 PM
Senior User

If the timing is set too far advanced it will cause pinging under load and on acceleration. I don't believe there is any way to adjust the advance on the timing with these engines, other than changing the computer settings. Charlie Captchas asked earlier in this post about "tuners". One way that tuning programs gain horsepower in these engines is to advance the timing. I know some of these tuning manufacturers specify 89 or 91 octane fuel just for this reason, to prevent the pinging.

Everyone here has touched on the various other devices that may go bad and create a problem, up to and including the PCM. I had a '94 F-150 5.0 once that had the O2 sensor go bad and the PCM did not throw a code. I currently have a Windstar that periodically throws a code and nobody has been able to figure out for what or why.
Old 03-03-2006, 03:01 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Performance, Engines & Troubleshooting > Modular V10 (6.8l)

Tags
2001, 46l, 68, engine, ford, knock, lines, low, noise, ping, pinging, rpm, spark, sputter, superduty, v10, vacuum, valve