Explorer, Sport Trac, Mountaineer & Aviator 1991-1994, 1995-2001, 2002-2005, 2006-2010 Ford Explorer

Stuck in 4x4 low

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2005, 11:04 PM
rick11
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Stuck in 4x4 low

I have a 98 Explorer Sport...I'm stuck in 4x4 low and can't get out.....tried forward, reverse coming to a complete stop shifting to neutral and stepping on the brake, then turning the switch has no effect whatsoever.....help!!

Last edited by rick11; 12-10-2005 at 11:09 PM. Reason: Change title
Old 12-11-2005, 07:16 AM
IB Tim
Site Administrator
Received 58 Likes on 30 Posts
...Welcome to Ford Truck Enthusiasts!
Stick around someone will be by shortly to answer your question.
We are happy you have chosen the best source for Fords!

Enjoy FTE....and
JOIN CLUB FTE -SUPPORT THE FORUMS!
…..See you on the boards.

Old 12-12-2005, 11:55 AM
aquanaut20
Cargo Master
Received 74 Likes on 60 Posts
Arrow

Ah yes,
The notorious stuck in 4 low...

time to get under the truck and remove the shift motor off the T/C, you can then manualy move the T/C to the HI position..

there is a sticky somewhere , that will walk you through the dismantling and cleaning of the contact plate in the shift motor, many others have done it, common problem, Good luck

Old 12-12-2005, 03:08 PM
Gil Chesterton
Senior User
I'm not sure if there are any solutions other than removing the shift motor on the transfer case (others on the FTE may have ideas). One idea I have heard is to reset the switch located in the rear panel (where you find your rear window washer fluid and tire iron/jack). There is a unit there with a white button and a red light. Pressing the white button may reset the system and make the truck believe it is in 2 wheel drive. I'm not sure but if the 4x4 system is unsure of the position in the transfer case it will return to 4x2 by default.

If you need to remove the shift motor this is what I suggest (following up on aquanaut20):

Use this link for additional support and photos:

http://draco.acs.uci.edu/explorer/

On the transfer case there should be a wire harness (about 5 wires) and one separate wire (brown) as well as a sensor. You may not have to remove the wires to return the shift to 4x2. Remove the four bolts (10mm I think) that holds the motor to the transfer case. Looking straight on you will see a triangular shaped post coming out of the transfer case and also three settings stamped onto the case itself. Use a wrench or pliers to return the shift setting to 2WD. Do the same with the shift motor (ie. line them up again). Bolt the shift motor back onto the T/C.

This will not solve your 4X4 problem though as it will likely fail again next time you shift to 4WD. There is a rubber stop in the shift motor that gets ground up and usually jams the motor and/or the electronic contacts need to be cleaned. If you get as far as removing the motor from the T/C you may as well clean it up replace the rubber stop and re-install.

You will need to remove the wiring harness and clip the brown wire for complete removal. The link is helpful (see photos too).

Old 12-12-2005, 04:17 PM
rick11
New User
Thanks for the help...