Ohio Chapter Join Chapter, Leader: RUNVS

mechanic, portclinton, marblehead

Old 12-08-2005, 11:36 PM
cooky
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
mechanic, portclinton, marblehead

Anyone out there from portclinton marblehead area?Looking for someone who knows what they are doing with a 400 engine.Carb problems

Old 12-09-2005, 09:05 PM
putzhall3
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
where exactly are you? I am in Luckey and might be able to help you out.

Old 12-09-2005, 10:30 PM
cooky
Junior User
You know where danbury schools is.I live right down the road. Right outside the gates of lakeside.Maybe we could get together on the weekend sometime.Would just like to make sure of a few things on my new engine.I have a 1979 F250 trailer special I am restoring.Just put a new crate engine in it from jasper this last summer.(400) Don't want anything bad to happen to it.

Bob

Old 12-11-2005, 08:39 PM
putzhall3
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yeah I know right where that is, I used to work at Camp Perry in the summers so I spent a lot of time in that area. I would be more than happy to stop by and help you out. I might not be available on the weekend till after the first of the year, but my evenings are open. Let me know.

Old 12-11-2005, 09:53 PM
cooky
Junior User
putzhall3
I work 2nd shift during the week.I could take a day off,no big deal.I don't have a heated garage.Heck I can't even get my whole truck in there.Got lights though.Would be glad to have your help.Maybe next week if weather holds out.This week I have to put a gas tank in my wifes van.She ran over something in the road and put a hole in it.And she thinks she can drive my truck.HA HA

Bob

Old 02-01-2006, 09:08 PM
ncl
Fleet Mechanic
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Hey Cooky did ya get everything figured out if not maybe I could be of some help. I am from Clyde and work in Sandusky if you have any questions I might be able to help.
NCL

Old 02-05-2006, 09:53 AM
cooky
Junior User
I don't think I have everything quite right.Got choke stove hooked up but took electric choke off.Sometimes it seems to use to much gas.Do you think I need to hook up the electric choke back up?I think I need dist. moved and carb adjusted.I just don't know what I'm doing
Bob

Old 02-15-2006, 09:17 PM
ncl
Fleet Mechanic
I would hook the electric choke back up the timing for a 400 is 12btdc what kind of carb and intake are you running right now. And what knind of symptoms are you having with the engine. Sorry it took me so long to reply.

NCL

Old 02-15-2006, 10:00 PM
cooky
Junior User
Got stock intake and stock 2 barrel.Sometimes this engine just dumps the gas.Not to often but alot when it does.
This engine will be 1 year old in july.
I don't have any vacumn hooked up just what I need.
This is a crate engine from Jaspers.
Runs pretty good just think I need to get all the bugs
Myself I'm not much of a mechanic.
Would like any help I could get.
Thanks for getting back with me.

Old 02-17-2006, 06:40 PM
ncl
Fleet Mechanic
What do you mean by dumps the gas, do you mean using gas or actual spillage. You can get rebuild kits for those carbs for pretty cheap but swapping in a dual plane manifold and a aftermarket carb really makes them come alive. I run a edelbrock 600 cfm 4bbl w/elec. choke and edelbrock performer manifold on my 400 and also have no smog stuff hooked up it has all been eliminated. I get about 9-10 mpg with 4.10 gears and 36" tires. But am thinking about swapping to a howell efi kit. Maybe think about rebuilding your carb and make sure you dont have any vacuum leaks cause those can give you trouble too.

Old 02-17-2006, 06:50 PM
cooky
Junior User
I mean uses gas only hasdone it twice in the last 4 months.I.m getting just under 12 mpg highway.Maybe I ought to just leave it alone.It's running good just thought their might be a reason it dumps gas like that.Could it be the choke sticking every once in awhile?

Old 02-17-2006, 07:54 PM
ncl
Fleet Mechanic
Yes it could definately be that you might need a new choke stat for it you should go to the site LMCtruck.com they have everything for the trucks.

Search this Thread