1983 - 2012 Ranger & B-Series All Ford Ranger and Mazda B-Series models

97 Ranger P0171 P0174 Codes

Old 01-16-2006, 07:54 PM
Ken00
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Glad to hear you both got your problems fixed!!!

Old 04-19-2008, 03:40 PM
JustWingIt
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy troubleshooting 171 and 174 codes

Can anyone explain the difference (ease of replacement) between the upper and lower manifold gaskets, and the Fuel rail to intake manifold gasket. The illustrations in my shop manual aren't all that clear and the posts here seem to be very helpful.

I have a 1997 Mazda B4000 4WD. I am also getting the 171 and 174 CEL codes. It stalls sometimes when stopped at a light and isn't running smoothly with the RPM's erattic at idle. The MAF sensor looks clean as a whistle. Someone (previous owner) spraid foam insulation all around the throttle body/manifold area at some point and I'm wondering if it was to cover up an air leak. I can't see any suspicious 'leaks' but I thought I'd ask you folks on the best way to proceed before I tear the manifold apart.

Old 04-19-2008, 04:00 PM
Rockledge
Post Fiend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by JustWingIt
Can anyone explain the difference (ease of replacement) between the upper and lower manifold gaskets, and the Fuel rail to intake manifold gasket. The illustrations in my shop manual aren't all that clear and the posts here seem to be very helpful.

I have a 1997 Mazda B4000 4WD. I am also getting the 171 and 174 CEL codes. It stalls sometimes when stopped at a light and isn't running smoothly with the RPM's erattic at idle. The MAF sensor looks clean as a whistle. Someone (previous owner) spraid foam insulation all around the throttle body/manifold area at some point and I'm wondering if it was to cover up an air leak. I can't see any suspicious 'leaks' but I thought I'd ask you folks on the best way to proceed before I tear the manifold apart.
Welcome.

My post in this thread describes the fuel supply manifold gasket issue and repair in more detail. You're going to need an size E7 reverse torx socket for the studs that secure the fuel supply manifold to the lower intake.

Old 04-19-2008, 11:14 PM
JustWingIt
New User
Gasket Part numbers?

Thanks for the link Rockledge! I'm still looking for a pic of the fuel rail manifold gasket. Taking off the whole assembly (throttle body and all) looks like the way to go.

Does anyone have the OEM or aftermarket part number for the Fuel Rail to Intake Manifold gasket? I've found the Manifold gaskets and the ignition plenum gasket part no's but can't seem to find that one at Advance or Auto Zone.

I had a mechanic clean out the throttle body, change the plugs, and replace all the filters last spring and that's when the CEL for 171 and 174 became much more frequent. I was wondering if maybe the new fuel filter might have contributed, but I think since I have the 1997 model the air leak is most likely so I'm looking to the possible damaged Fuel Rail to Intake Manifold gasket. Thoughts and questions are welcome.

Thanks,

-Todd

Old 09-14-2008, 07:42 PM
jrwyant
New User
I've got a picture of the Ford gasket; I just replaced my fuel rail mainfold gasket, as I had just had the check engine light go on my '97 Ranger, code P0171. (That, and for the past couple of months off-and-on, I'd hear a bizarre, difficult to pinpoint, moaning sound--which must have come from the original, failed, gasket jutting out into the air stream.) I'm not sure how to post the picture, but the part number is F8PZ-9E436-AA (for $11.98). The Ford parts guy thought there'd be two required... after having worked on it myself, I now believe that he thought that there were two gaskets, one on top and one on bottom of that fuel rail manifold, but in my '97 there was just one old, failed, gasket: between the plastic air intake thing and the fuel rail itself, there is just those three separate rubber things (like fancy o-rings, part number F57Z-9E436-AA, for $8.31 for the package of three), the replacement gasket went between the lower air intake manifold and the fuel rail manifold. (I'll post pictures if I can figure out how to upload them.)

I also wanted to say a big "Thanks!" to Rockledge for his great write-up PDF file. Especially with the TSB specifying the new gasket part-number. Came in real handy. This site is great, because of all you guys out there writing in with your experiences.

Here's a picture of the replacement fuel rail manifold gasket (whatever it's called):

Here's the picture of my fuel rail manifold (not yet taken off) showing the failed gasket jutting into the air chambers for the front two cylinders:

Last edited by jrwyant; 09-14-2008 at 07:45 PM. Reason: Adding additional information
Old 04-20-2012, 06:28 PM
Clayton Joe Herzner
New User
RANGER IDLE BAD

Originally Posted by dkthree
Im kinda thinking about changing the IAC and TPS before I dig into the gaskets. Is it worth it to try this or am I delaying the inevitable?
MY SELF I WOULD REPLACE THE IAC..HAVE YOU JUST TRIED TO TIGHTEN UP THE PLENUM BOLTS AND THE INTAKE BOLTS?

Old 04-21-2012, 12:39 AM
Monsta
Sit. Stay.

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
New dude diggin up a 4 year old thread...

Old 07-16-2012, 09:58 AM
Alexei Mortov
New User
Cylinder misfires on 4 and 6

I am new to this site and have been looking on the internet for a while and was wondering, besides being spark plugs and wires and/or a bad coil pack, what other things could make it so i have misfires on cylinders 4 and 6? going to replace the plugs and wires later today when they get to my house but i just want to know what other things i could be so i can evaluate the potential repair cost and should the wires for cylinders 4,5, and 6 be under or over the intake manifold? i bought my truck used and they are currently under the manifold i think it would make more sense to have them over personally.

I have a 1997 Ranger 4WD with the 6 cylinder 4.0L engine

Old 07-16-2012, 10:35 AM
pawpaw
Received 73 Likes on 71 Posts
(quote I am new to this site and have been looking on the internet for a while and was wondering, besides being spark plugs and wires and/or a bad coil pack, what other things could make it so i have misfires on cylinders 4 and 6? going to replace the plugs and wires later today when they get to my house but i just want to know what other things i could be so i can evaluate the potential repair cost and should the wires for cylinders 4,5, and 6 be under or over the intake manifold? i bought my truck used and they are currently under the manifold i think it would make more sense to have them over personally.

I have a 1997 Ranger 4WD with the 6 cylinder 4.0L engine quote)

Welcome to FTE.

A number of things can cause a cyl misfire. Most autoparts stores will scan the computer for trouble codes at no cost if the CEL is lit, so post All code Numbers found as they can provide good trouble shooting clues.

You'll want to find the root cause & put it right without delay, as the cat converter has to process the unburned fuel & that can overheat & fatally damage it internaly.

Old 07-16-2012, 10:44 AM
Alexei Mortov
New User
I had it scanned but i can't remember what the codes were ill get it scanned again ill post the codes here

Old 07-16-2012, 11:29 AM
pawpaw
Received 73 Likes on 71 Posts
Originally Posted by Alexei Mortov
I had it scanned but i can't remember what the codes were ill get it scanned again ill post the codes here
Good idea to have it scanned again, as more codes with good clues may be set.
Begin a New thread here https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum35/, so you get replys just for your trouble shoot. Use/Copy your above post in the new thread if you like, along with All trouble code Numbers found & any other clues that come to mind.