A few questions to get me started

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2005, 07:06 AM
59F1004x4
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A few questions to get me started

Hey guys, new to the board and have a few questions. I just picked up a '59 4x4 with a 292, and I'm new to Y-blocks. I'm not planning on doing too much, but have a few things I want to do up front. So, here's my list of questions, sorry to ask them all at once, but feel free to pick your favorite :

First, I was able to get a '57 intake for it, and I'm planning on running a Holley 600 VS that I have . . . it's a versatile little carb and I think it should be fine, but any thoughts on it would be good to hear.

Next, I also got some dual exhaust manifolds from the same guy, and will be routing all that out first. I have a ton of 2.5" stuff from my Mustang already here, but I'm thinking that might be a bit big - should I bite the bullet and go with 2 1/4?

On the same note, I think I want to run glasspacks on it for the old-school effect - any thoughts on what sounds good out there? (ie, brands and length). Should I run it out the back, turndowns, or out the sides? My other project is a '69 convertible mustang with a 408, so I'm already on close watch from my neigbors. I'm looking for a good nasty rumble, but don't want to rattle any windows!

Okay, still more - is there a Pertronix kit for the '59 Ys? I can only seem to find them for the older dizzy, but would really like to do that up front.

And last thing, I don't have posession of the truck yet, but the previous owner said he was having troubles keeping it running because it was running out of fuel. My guess is that it might be as simple as float adjustment, but he mentioned that he thought the fuel filter below the pump was clogged. I'm not familiar with that style pump . . . are there any other common causes for fuel starvation in these?

Okay, sorry for all the questions at once, hopefully that will be it for a while - thanks for any help you can offer!

Old 12-08-2005, 09:35 AM
hiball3985
Logistics Pro
Received 74 Likes on 64 Posts
well everyone will have a different opinion....so heres my 2 cents...but the bottom line is do what ever makes you happy..you'll find yourself making changes as time goes along..it never ends

four barrel is a good idea, 600cfm is probaly more than a Y needs but you can use it..

2.5 exhuast it a little much, I think it would do better with a little more back pressure

mufflers??? what ever sounds good to you.. I personaly like glasspacks for that older sound

I have seen Pertronix advertisied on Ebay for Y Blocks but haven't seen them myself..somebody will come along with that answer

and the fuel problem, that where the fun begins..anything from the tank to the carb and everything inbetween..

just have fun and enjoy it..thats what its all about

JIM

Old 12-08-2005, 09:36 AM
wild.bunch
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
1. Your manifold and carb ideas are good.

2. I am assuming the manifolds are Ram's Horns, as there are no other kind. Great, they are exactly what you need (besides being quite expensive to acquire!). I don't think 2 1/4 would hurt and it might even help. The stockers are 2" I believe.

3. No comment, don't like glasspacks. Somebody will have something to say on this.

4. Pertronix -- yes. Be sure to carry a spare if you're out in the woods hunting. Home can be a long way when you have to walk.

5. The fuel filter would be a prime suspect. You name the things I'd be checking. If you have the sort of pump with the filter built in, it is still a filter and all of your thinking applies.

Old 12-08-2005, 04:10 PM
wild.bunch
Senior User
Just a quick comment regarding "back pressure."

You don't want any back pressure in the exhaust, tho the correct solution may make you think you do.

What you really want is some velocity in the exhaust system. When the exhaust gasses have inertia because of this velocity, they keep moving out the exhaust and the only energy that must be supplied is what is needed to overcome backpressure, in order for the somewhat pulsing, somewhat steady stream of exhaust to keep flowing out.

The reason that it is percieved that some backpressure is necessary is because with exhaust systems that are too large, such as a small street V8 with 2 1/2" dual pipes, the exhaust flow stalls to practically no velocity when it enters the large pipes. There isn't enough volume to make the exhaust flow very fast in such a huge pipe. In effect, the exhaust system acts like it is vented right to the atmosphere.

This problem is most marked at low speeds, when the exhaust volume and velocity is low, anyway. By making the pipes a bit smaller, velocity is increased and the inertia of the column of gas in the pipes keeps things moving.

This often means that for a small engine, one might see better performance from smaller pipes. Knowing that smaller pipes have more backpressure, this can lead to the conclusion that an engine "Wants" more backpressure. This isn't true. What the engine wants is for the gas column to have some inertia so that it will flow easily out. While the smaller pipes WILL loose some power to increased backpressure (compared to larger, free-flowing pipes) they will make that power loss up and more because of the gas column inertia.

A way to think about this is by comparing things to the intake tract. There, we know that great big Boss 302 sized ports may not work well on a little 289, even if they do offer less resistance to the flow of air/fuel mixture than smaller stock ports. We understand that there needs to be some velocity to keep the fuel vaporized and in suspension, but we also understand that the intake gasses need some inertia to make them flow well, also, and this is especially critical at low speeds in a street car.

Glasspacks often have a lot of restriction anyway, because of their louvers sticking into the flow of gasses thru them, so if you use them, it is probably even more desirable to keep the velocity up with 2" or 2 1/4" pipes.

Old 12-08-2005, 07:53 PM
kens64
Posting Guru
I agree completely about the backpressure issue. It isnt a good thing to have. And while I also agree with 2.25" duals being optimal for a stocker, 2.5" will not hurt much. I didnt notice a difference when I went to 2.5". My only mods from stock are .060 overbore and the truck manifolds modified for dual exhaust. Keeping the crossover pipe really helped the sound too.

FWIW, mine is full mandrel bent with Magnaflows and it sounds and performs great. I had 24" glasspacks on the 2.25" setup, and it was a nice sounding setup also. Very mellow.

Old 12-08-2005, 10:19 PM
pcmenten
Posting Guru
The fuel supply issue is probably a problem with your fuel tank and gas line. I had a similar problem with my truck. Luckily, I had a carb with a glass float bowl. I could see the fuel starvation problem.

I dropped the tank and washed it with lye, and pulled the fuel line out and flushed it, too. Problem solved.

Old 12-09-2005, 09:33 AM
wild.bunch
Senior User
Ken, are you from the Bernalillo that is across the street from Placitas?

Old 12-09-2005, 11:07 AM
kens64
Posting Guru
Yes I am. I didnt notice you were a fellow New Mexican too

Old 12-09-2005, 11:25 AM
wild.bunch
Senior User
Ken, let me take it one step further: I worked at the phone company, Eubank & Menaul, with Ken in the alarm center, married to Lori. He had a 63 T Bird roadster.

A long shot, but you wouldn't be THAT Ken, would you?

(Can't think of anything better than being a New Mexican! Please turn up the Sparx!)

Old 12-09-2005, 03:42 PM
kens64
Posting Guru
That isnt me, although I wouldnt mind owning a '63 T bird.

Old 12-09-2005, 03:45 PM
wild.bunch
Senior User
Well, it was worth a try. I wish I was there tonite -- I could go to the fights at Tingley instead of watching them on TV. Take care!

Old 12-10-2005, 08:38 PM
286merc
Posting Guru
If that 4x4 is going to be working hard at low RPM then reconsider the exhaust issue. Rams or headers into one 2 or 2 1/4" pipe will emphasize low end torque.

I used that concept to good advantage in a 351W powered E350 box truck. A very noticable improvement when fully loaded (plus a bit) and going up hills.

Old 12-11-2005, 09:13 AM
ibuzzard
Panties NOT in a Twist

Received 288 Likes on 199 Posts
Pertronix Igniter 2

I have been using the Igniter 2 ignition for several years with no problem.I did pay the extra aprox. 35.00 for the Igniter 2 vs. Igniter.( Read description of it on Pertronix website.)I just last night ordered a second one from Summit Racing for about 110.00 to keep in the truck as a backup in case I break down-I did have one of the regular Igniter's fail-it flew apart-on my '66 dodge dart.I decided to run the Pertronix unit as opposed to changing out to a Mallory Unilite electronic dizzy-110.00 vs.260.00.in my '59 F250,292 Y-Block.Steve

Old 12-25-2005, 03:29 PM
GLASSPACK
Freshman User
I love glasspacks on a y-block. My 292 has, I think, 2" pipe all the way out the back. The glasspacks are at least 18" long. It is not obnoxious while driving and has a nice cackle when I get on it.