1997-2006 Expedition & Navigator 1997 - 2002 and 2003 - 2006 Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator Discussion

00 - Shock Absorbers for 4WD w/LLS

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2005, 06:02 PM
Quietman64
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
00 - Shock Absorbers for 4WD w/LLS

Hello all,

It's time to replace my shocks, and I have the LLS system with 4WD. I drive mostly just plain street/highway, very little four wheelin'.

Looking through the forum, I'm pretty sure that the Bilsteins are my choice for the rear.

However, I'm having a devil of a time finding shocks for the front. I've discovered the Monroe #40004, but they are $116 EACH!

Local "Tire/Brake/Shock" houses have quoted between $500 and $540 (installed), but that seems excessive to me.

I don't mind spending good money on good parts, but I've read a lot of negative comments on the Monroes.

I would appreciate your thoughts or suggestions on manufacturers, part number would be extremely helpful, or links.

My deepest thanks to you all.

Roger

Old 12-08-2005, 05:44 PM
Monsta
Sit. Stay.

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
I cannot help you with your choices as I've never had LLS on any of my trucks. However, I DID change your title per your request. Is it okay now?

Welcome to FTE Roger!

Old 12-09-2005, 03:14 AM
Quietman64
New User
Perfect, thank you very much.

Old 12-10-2005, 07:02 AM
vze2sgxa
Senior User
What shock absorbers?

I don't get it. You're kidding, right? Look under the car first before you order. See if you have shocks on an LLS.

Old 12-10-2005, 07:20 AM
jrfording
New User
you can get these at NAPA auto parts or order them on line at napaonline.com

Shock Absorber - Specialty - Front
Usually ships in 24 hours. NS
40004 $77.99

Old 12-12-2005, 03:43 PM
01silvergt
Senior User
Originally Posted by Quietman64
Hello all,

It's time to replace my shocks, and I have the LLS system with 4WD. I drive mostly just plain street/highway, very little four wheelin'.

Looking through the forum, I'm pretty sure that the Bilsteins are my choice for the rear.

However, I'm having a devil of a time finding shocks for the front. I've discovered the Monroe #40004, but they are $116 EACH!

Local "Tire/Brake/Shock" houses have quoted between $500 and $540 (installed), but that seems excessive to me.

I don't mind spending good money on good parts, but I've read a lot of negative comments on the Monroes.

I would appreciate your thoughts or suggestions on manufacturers, part number would be extremely helpful, or links.

My deepest thanks to you all.

Roger
4wd and LLS your pretty much limited to choice of shocks. Most with the 4wd system will replace the rear with a quality shock like Bilstein (like you have noted) and replace the front with OEM. You can get OEM for less than the Monroe you noted. Look at some of the online part houses like;
http://www.fordpartsonline.com/

If you have mechanical ability and tools and are up to it, replacement is very simple. You will need basic tools to do this, only difference will be the front shocks and there are posts on here on how to do that.

Good luck

Old 12-15-2005, 05:37 AM
Quietman64
New User
Thumbs up

Thanks to all for your thoughtful responses.

One last question, -way- back in the archives, someone had mentioned that the front shocks do not need to be replaced UNLESS they are damaged.

Any further thought or opinions? I always appreciate any ideas from the folks with superior experience and judgement.

Old 12-15-2005, 08:01 AM
01silvergt
Senior User
Originally Posted by Quietman64
Thanks to all for your thoughtful responses.

One last question, -way- back in the archives, someone had mentioned that the front shocks do not need to be replaced UNLESS they are damaged.

Any further thought or opinions? I always appreciate any ideas from the folks with superior experience and judgement.
Over time a shock will wear out and not perform the way it did when new. As to when that happens is debatable. Some say OEM shocks are not good for more than 100k, other say 30k, and yet others say 50k. I think when you start to get excessive body roll or a bouncy ride then its time. Mine lasted about 75k on my Expy. I started to a very bouncy ride in it. When I pulled them, the rear were not as bad as the front. I could compress the front easily and once compressed it took one of the almost 48 hours to extend back out. It is also a good idea that if you HAVE to replace one bad shock, then replace the other. So if you have one bad front (blown out, leaking, etc.) replace the other front even if it appears to be "good". Only time you might not have to do this is if they were VERY recently replaced and one was a defective, then you can probably just replace the one.

Old 04-30-2009, 01:31 PM
gkcollins
New User
Originally Posted by 01silvergt
4wd and LLS your pretty much limited to choice of shocks. Most with the 4wd system will replace the rear with a quality shock like Bilstein (like you have noted) and replace the front with OEM. You can get OEM for less than the Monroe you noted. Look at some of the online part houses like;
Ford Parts Online - Genuine Wholesale Ford Parts

If you have mechanical ability and tools and are up to it, replacement is very simple. You will need basic tools to do this, only difference will be the front shocks and there are posts on here on how to do that.

Good luck
OK, does anyone know the step by step instructions for replacing front air shocks on a 2000 Navigator (or similar vehicle)? I have Monroe #40004's and want to do it right.

Old 04-30-2009, 03:37 PM
racerock
Senior User
Originally Posted by gkcollins
OK, does anyone know the step by step instructions for replacing front air shocks on a 2000 Navigator (or similar vehicle)? I have Monroe #40004's and want to do it right.
Yes a few of have put posts on this. Welcome to the FORUM

STEP 1: Learn how to do a search

Old 04-30-2009, 04:08 PM
navifused
Freshman User
I just did mine along with ball joints I got the monroes from carstuff.com for $89 each and if you ask they give you free shipping I called and talked to someone directly. BTW the ride was much improved!! Check your ball joints to they are prone to fail at 100000 mi. give or take. If there in the area already ya might as well do those to no what I mean. good luck

Old 04-30-2009, 05:00 PM
gkcollins
New User
Monroe 40004 shocks replacement

But, what I need to know is how to do the front air shock replacement, step by step. How do you deal with the air line and connecting it to the shock? How do you bleed the air before you replace the front shocks?

Old 04-30-2009, 05:07 PM
Omahastro1
Senior User
On these trucks with LLS Moroe is the only choice for the front. There is a little ring that goes around where he air line connects with the shock. Push in on that ring it will move in around a 1/16 to an 1/8. Push in on the air line with a little presure, then pul the air line out. Keep pushing in on the ring part until the air line comes out. Clean the end of the air line before putting it in the new shock. You may also have to trim the air line back a little to get a clean end on the air line. It now removes like a regular shock. You will need to compress both the old to remove it and the new to get it into position, this is probly the hardest part of the whole thing. The rears are just standard shocks. The hardest part on the rears is working around the gas tank. Not real hard just takes time.
I used Bilstiens on the rears and I am very happy with them.

Old 04-30-2009, 05:44 PM
racerock
Senior User
gkcollins did not do the first step above.

There is a second step before you pull the line off that is very important to do before you pull the line off.

Do a search and see what you find. If not, I'll give you a hint.

Old 04-30-2009, 06:37 PM
gkcollins
New User
Monroe 40004

Well, yes, I know you must bleed the air line first, I also saw that you need to find the "T" connection closest to the left front shock and "press" it to bleed the air. Do you have anything to add to make this more clear? Ford has made it next to impossible to find out exactly how to do this work so they can support their mechanics at the dealers, so I appreciate any directions any of you have. Thanks! (BTW I did give up on that crazy drivers side rear shock as the top bolt is impossible to access without an air wrench. The gas tank is in the way. I paid $60 for a mechanic to do that one shock replacement for me, labor only!)

Quick Reply: 00 - Shock Absorbers for 4WD w/LLS