Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Super Duty/Heavy Duty > Super Duty & Heavy Duty
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Super Duty & Heavy Duty 1999 to current Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines SPONSORED BY:

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-07-2005, 09:27 AM
New User

bluemoon7 is starting off with a positive reputation.
99 F-250 stuck in 4 wheel drive

Hi,
I am new here but I am really impressed with what i see.... there is a lot of knowledge here. My 99 Ford (7.3 Diesel) will not come out of four wheel drive. I have ESOF with maual hubs. Originally when I bought this truck it would not go into 4X4 low, and now I can't get it out of 4X4. (transfer case not the hubs) When I shut off the ignition I can hear a click like the solenoid is disengaging, but am not positive that's what it is. Is there any way to figure out if it is the switch or the solenoid or something else? I checked the wires on the back of the switch and on one of the wires I do get a voltage change when moving the switch. Any help would be greatly appreciated !!
Old 12-07-2005, 09:31 AM
Senior User

sdpj is starting off with a positive reputation.
try driving in reverse about 10 to 20 ft with your switch in 2 wheel drive. that's always a little trick to gettin em out of 4 wheel drive. let us know what happens.
Old 12-07-2005, 09:43 AM
Post Fiend

Big Orn has a very good reputation on FTE.Big Orn has a very good reputation on FTE.Big Orn has a very good reputation on FTE.
Welcome to FTE

Is the tcase stuck in High or Low?
Old 12-07-2005, 11:13 AM
New User

Thanks for the replys !

Sorry about the confusing post... The transfercase is stuck in 4 high. I have left the hubs locked in the past week or so and just used the switch... now it just won't come out of 4 high. The fact that previous to this is the truck would not go into 4 low is not really related to this I don't think. I will try backing up 20 ft or so and see if this does the trick.. I will let you know. Thanks again.
Old 12-07-2005, 11:22 AM
Super Moderator

Krewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputation
One thing, the servo will stop trying after a while...

So, put the switch back in 4x4, wait a minute, and then try again.

"Bounce" the drivetrain, while trying to get it out of 4x4, as in, turn the **** to 4x2, and quickly go from reverse to drive, and back again, back and forth.

Sounds like you could have a bad servo (what a coincidence).

Is it really stuck in 4x4, or is the light just stuck on?
'97 Cougar XR7 30th Anniv Edition 4.6L
'74 F250 Highboy FE390 deceased!
I've been wrong before, I'll be wrong again. Just wait and see. ®
Old 12-07-2005, 12:54 PM
Post Fiend

Big Orn has a very good reputation on FTE.Big Orn has a very good reputation on FTE.Big Orn has a very good reputation on FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by krewat
One thing, the servo will stop trying after a while...

So, put the switch back in 4x4, wait a minute, and then try again.

"Bounce" the drivetrain, while trying to get it out of 4x4, as in, turn the **** to 4x2, and quickly go from reverse to drive, and back again, back and forth.

Sounds like you could have a bad servo (what a coincidence).

Is it really stuck in 4x4, or is the light just stuck on?
Yea - chock the tires, unlock the hubs and see if the front driveline turns. Could be the light...
Old 12-26-2005, 05:56 PM
New User

Sorry for the long delay, I have just been extremely busy and haven't had any time to look at this thing... thank you for all the advice. I have looked into this and the transvercase is locked in 4 high. It is not the light. I tried everything you guys recomended and it will still not come out of 4x4. I am assuming it is something on the transfercase??? I looked at the transfercase and saw two electrical plug ins. One looks like a solenoid (servo?), and the other is round and flat. Is there a way of checking this out? I am not very familiar with transfercases, but with some explanation I am sure I can figure it out. Thanks again for the help.
Old 12-26-2005, 05:56 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Super Duty/Heavy Duty > Super Duty & Heavy Duty

Tags
150, 1999, 2001, 2002, 250, 4wheel, 73, 99, dr, drive, f250, ford, low, stuck, wheel, wont