1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

Relays click then nothing when bat. connected

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2005, 03:08 PM
ealbertson
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Relays click then nothing when bat. connected

Hi, I have a 1997 F250 Powerstroke truck. All was fine until I removed the right battery. It was out for about four days.I did nothing with the truck during this time. When I put the battery back in three or four relays (left side of dash on top and under the hood in front of the brake cylinder)will click away for roughly ten seconds then stop (This is with the key off.). The clicking always starts again when I try to start it. Turning the key to the on position lights what look like the normal dash lights but nothing happens when I turn it to the crank position. I did find that the battery that was left connected in the truck was down to about five volts. After charging there was no difference. When I connect the first battery (when both are unhooked)it arcs like the lights or something are on. Everything is off. Sorry so long winded. Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks, Ed

Old 12-06-2005, 03:17 PM
injun46
Junior User
Dumb question, ya don't have the battery turned around, pos to neg?
Told ya it was dumb

Old 12-06-2005, 03:22 PM
IB Tim
Site Administrator
Received 58 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by ealbertson
Hi, I have a 1997 F250 Powerstroke truck. All was fine until I removed the right battery. It was out for about four days.I did nothing with the truck during this time. When I put the battery back in three or four relays (left side of dash on top and under the hood in front of the brake cylinder)will click away for roughly ten seconds then stop (This is with the key off.). The clicking always starts again when I try to start it. Turning the key to the on position lights what look like the normal dash lights but nothing happens when I turn it to the crank position. I did find that the battery that was left connected in the truck was down to about five volts. After charging there was no difference. When I connect the first battery (when both are unhooked)it arcs like the lights or something are on. Everything is off. Sorry so long winded. Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks, Ed
...Welcome to Ford Truck Enthusiasts!
We are happy you have chosen the best source for Fords!

Enjoy FTE....and
JOIN CLUB FTE -SUPPORT THE FORUMS!
…..See you on the boards.

Old 12-06-2005, 07:29 PM
ealbertson
Freshman User
Injun46, That is something I would probably do but not in this case.

Old 12-07-2005, 06:37 AM
1997F-350
Postmaster
i hate electrical stuff.
but i think weak batteries usually can cause that(the clicking) or you blew those relays from unhooking only 1 battery for so long.....

Old 12-08-2005, 08:34 PM
ealbertson
Freshman User
This is going to sound stupid. I just bought the truck a little over a week ago and was never told it had an anti theft system installed in it. Apparently when the battery is reconnected it sets it off. There were two relays that were a part of the theft system. I could hear them clicking up by the light switch. When I took the dash apart I saw a box that had Viper on it. It all started to come together then. I disconnected it and the truck runs fine now. Thanks for the help.

Old 12-08-2005, 10:36 PM
1997F-350
Postmaster
wow glad you found it i would of never guessed........ good job.