General NON-Automotive Conversation No Political, Sexual or Religious topics please.

Teenagers driving new cars...

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2005, 10:23 PM
Patatoe1
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Teenagers driving new cars...

I was just wondering what some of you guys think about teenagers driving newer vehicles. I am 18 and I drive a 2001 F-150. I know pretty much everyone besides my closer friends think that my parents have purchased the truck for me, but that isn't the case. My mom did sign the paperwork for me because I bought it when I was 17. Have 3 and a half years to pay off still. The job I have pays pretty well, so that is where I am making my money for the truck.

I just don't like being put into the stereotypical teenager who is spoiled by his or her parents and has no respect for others.

So what would your impressions be if you saw me driving the truck?

Old 12-05-2005, 10:45 PM
donjamer
Received 63 Likes on 34 Posts
First impression would be you were driving your parents truck. Next would be that your parents bought it for you... No matter what our inpressions are, you know that you are working hard to pay for it. You should be commended for taking the responsibility to work for something you want and not feel it is owed to you. Unfortunately there are many you want everything for nothing.. Adults included..

Don't worry about what others think, when they ask "whose truck?" just say it is yours and you are working hard to pay it off.. Then drive off with your head held high..

Old 12-05-2005, 10:48 PM
CowboyBilly9Mile
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by donjamer
First impression would be you were driving your parents truck. Next would be that your parents bought it for you... No matter what our inpressions are, you know that you are working hard to pay for it. You should be commended for taking the responsibility to work for something you want and not feel it is owed to you. Unfortunately there are many you want everything for nothing.. Adults included..

Don't worry about what others think, when they ask "whose truck?" just say it is yours and you are working hard to pay it off.. Then drive off with your head held high..
Excellent post, every word of it.

Old 12-05-2005, 10:50 PM
4x4triton
Junior User
Well to be honest, Im only 25, and I know where you're coming from.
Dad, told me when I was younger, Son, You can have anything you want in life but you have to go get it. He never "bought" me a truck, But he showed me the benefits of working for something. My first truck was and old hand me down, I kept it for a few years and saved enough for a little better, then so on and so forth, I went to college, AND WORKED 40-60 hours, Graduated, Bought a house, bought a real truck (4x4 FORD). Worked a little more and now Im 25 with a 4 bedroom house, a truck, a camper, 2 beautiful children and a loving wife that came from a low income family like myself, and we're both doing fine with our careers. It was very hard, but well worth it. I do believe that my old man was right, when he said WORK WILL ALWAYS PAY OFF.

So to answer your question, no I dont stereo-type people like that, but you can see if you look closely, who works or worked for what they have.

Old 12-05-2005, 10:59 PM
JD717
Elder User
I currently drive an older truck ,but I fully intend to buy a fairly new, like 00 or newer ranger sometime before I hit 20. nobody EVER bought me any vehicles, nor do I want anyone to buy me anything like that. if I havent gotten it myself, I feel like I havent earned it.

Old 12-06-2005, 01:20 AM
bodabdan
Fleet Mechanic
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
OK I would probably stereotype a young driver in a late model vehicle. I'm not saying I would be right, but I know how I am. I guess part of it is jealousy, and part of it makes me wonder how I can't have the same thing after 25 years in the work force.
One of the biggest factors is living with parents. There are expenses in the world that many younger people don't realize are there. It's easier to have some disposable income in that situation.
I won't fault anyone for working for what they have. It just seems to me that alot of younger people with lower income jobs have a bling-to-income ratio that doesn't add up. Local high schools here are loaded with 2002+ cars in the student section. If they are earning them, more power to them, if they are not, they are missing a valuable lesson in life.

Old 12-06-2005, 01:43 AM
polarbear
Post Fiend
At our HS, a 2001 PU wouldn't even raise an eyebrow. Because of the local demographics, the parking lot has more high-end foreign stuff and SUV's than you'd believe possible- and it's a darned shame, for the most part.

I'm with Bill- donjamer had a great post there, and echos my feelings.

Old 12-06-2005, 05:00 AM
Birdhunter1
Cargo Master
Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
I'm 25 with an 06 F-150, when I had my 04 F-150 people thought that about me too but what was funny is I actually knew the people that had said something, and i was making about double what they were.

Did I work for it, YUP! Of course when I bought the 04 I was still living at home fresh out of college and in my career, I had alot more disposable income then than I do now.

Old 12-06-2005, 07:57 AM
preppypyro
FTE Legend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
I know around here, alot of the teenagers parents buy them newer vehicles. I do know a few though that drive a newer leased vehicle and pass it off as their own. And here, anyone can get a lease, all you have to do is have proof you work!

Old 12-06-2005, 08:24 AM
Bruker
Fleet Mechanic
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Don't worry about what others think, when they ask "whose truck?" just say it is yours and you are working hard to pay it off.. Then drive off with your head held high..[/QUOTE]

Or just tell them it belongs to the bank for another three and a half years..

Old 12-06-2005, 09:17 AM
Patatoe1
Elder User
Thanks for all the replies guys. Makes me feel a little better knowing that not everyone out there that sees me driving the truck thinks that it was just given to me.

Old 12-06-2005, 09:23 AM
76supercab2
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
To be honest, if you're driving safely and don't cut me off or encroach in my lane, I'm probably not even going to see you. If I did, I wouldn't have an opinion. I'm trying to slay my own wolves every day. I figure that's what everyone else is doing and I don't have time to worry about them.

Old 12-06-2005, 09:43 AM
scottjo
Senior User
Patatoe- I know exactly where you are coming from. I'm 20 and have been working a job since I was 12 (Family owned lumber yard) when I turned 16 I bought a 1967 mustang and spent an entire summer paying it off and then the next winter finishing the work that needed to be done to it, and to this day when I drive it around I get a hard time from some people because I'm spoiled but it isn't so.

I'm 20 now and go to Iowa State University for Mechanical engineering (paying my own tuition, cause parents said they had to pay their own way so it should be the same for me, can't blame them) and I'm actually on a coop with Polaris now so I can now afford a 1955 ford F-250. I'm now slowly working on restoring it over this next year or 2 and when I go cruising in that I will probably get the same response from people but it doesn't bother me because I know that I worked for it and earned it.

So more power to you for earning what you deserve.

Old 12-06-2005, 09:50 AM
A_G
Posting Guru
Around here, Even if you truck was a 06 people wouldnt think your parents bought it for ya. Now if you were driving a new car, civic, taurus,etc. people would think your parents bought you a new car.

My first car is ( i havnt turn 16 yet, but its been pre-decided) im driving the truck in my gallery. 97 f150 about 178k miles (20-30% bigger tires, the guage needs to be reset). Its beat up, but i love it.
My dads getting a DD car, (prolly a pontiac quad 4) prolly brand new. WHile i get the truck.I think he should get a ranger, but w/e

peace,
Anthony

Old 12-06-2005, 10:23 AM
frankenbroncoII
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i thinks its great that you are working for what YOU want. i come from a hard working family and spare money was never there. so my dad told me if you want it then you have to buy it. though he did give me a 86 dodge ram rolling chassis to start with when i was 16.. but i had to make it run and drive. and for that i thank him. and yes i abused it, but i had to pay to fix it. since that truck i have owned 4 BIIs 2 t-birds 1 ranger 1 f150 and several other fords. now im buying a house. my wife on the other hand grew up spoiled and i am currently rehabilitating her into that nothing in life is free. ill be 23 next march.

Quick Reply: Teenagers driving new cars...