2.3 or 2.5, Which engine for performance swap

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2021, 11:30 PM
fljab
Posting Guru
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
2.3 or 2.5, Which engine for performance swap

Hello all, I've been here on FTE for a number of yrs as I have Bullnose trucks and messed with mainly the 300 big six engine. I have another project I'm thinking about and would like to see if I could get some good info from anyone that has input. Bear with me and know I'm only interested in the engine itself, not how to do the swap.

I am looking at a MGB GT. This thing is in great condition overall, but I know performance is anemic by modern standards. You can search for MG swaps and most are other engines like V8 Ford or Cheby. That's not what I want to do. I'd like to keep a 4 cylinder in it and a common one would be the Ranger 2.3 or 2.5. Those engines have been around for eons and lots are available. I'd hang a SVO T5 behind of which I already own. (FYI I have looked at the modern Mustang Ecoboost 2.3 but think that is more complex than the scope of my project).

Either engine would work but in my mind bigger is better so right now looking at the 2.5 dual plug. Unsure if I'd carb it or not, but probably because it's easier for my use although I know FI offers many advantages, so nothing written in stone. Has anyone 'souped up' one of these? I understand a turbo is a wonderful thing, but don't really want to go that way. The stock MG 1.8 makes 80 hp at the rear wheels (if you're lucky) and any engine I put in would need to be at least 50% more plus the reliability of the more modern engine, and I am now only looking at Ford engines (I do have standards!).

So, any advice on these engines in particular? Streetable performance is my goal -

TIA

Jim aka fljab
Mims, FL

Old 04-16-2021, 09:01 AM
fljab
Posting Guru
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I see there are a couple of other threads here that are posting big power out of these engines but most using turbo components. In my online research, many use Duratec or Zetec DOHC engines due to the enormous performance potential. The Duratec in particular stock is rated ~170 hp or so which puts them right in my projected power range. By the time I did the work on a Lima SOHC, would be way more expensive and probably not make as much power as a DOHC stock.

Plenty of youtube and other sources with most being "across the pond'. JY motors abound for them although most are FWD, but RWD conversions are common. New or remanufactured engines are widely available directly from Ford and other companies.

Back to FTE focus, I do not know if the new 2.3 Ecoboost as used in the new Ranger/Mustang is A>Duratec design, and B> what the performance of it naturally aspirated or if it should/could be run that way.

I'm still open to comment, advice, and opinions, but realize that getting away from the SOHC Ranger engine and the new Ecoboost 2.3 Ranger is out of the scope of this forum.