Making big HP with the 2.3L. It can be done!

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2006, 11:30 AM
nhswrld
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
my project ranger is comming along..kinda slow...but a couple more tweaks and i should have it up and runnin right...i believe my tp sensor is shot tho because itll sit at idle and when ya rev it...it dies out a little more then half throttle....i double, triple, quadruple checks and traced the wires and they are all ran correctly as per the diagram so im thinking the tp sensor must be shot.....

Old 07-30-2006, 07:43 PM
I_Thnk_Ford
Elder User
Thanks Jess,
I am glad to hear that it still gets 20 plus at that horse power.
I have owned 250 crews and a single cab for sometime but have always been a pinto fan at heart. Still am but now that I have 14 years of marriage under my belt, my wife has not been as "coming around" on the Pinto thing. So, we agreed on a Triumph Spitfire. It's not Ford, but it's motor can be. There are some that have done this conversion but don't know about the turbo conversion. I can't have my light Pinto to wrap around a 275 hp 2.3, but now maybe I can have still have a light "sports car" with a healthy 2.3.

Jess, do you mind I link your web page to other posts on other forums?

I am sure others would like to know about this conversion.

Just FYI these cars weigh in as low as 1900 lbs to 2300lbs. Could you imagine a 275+ hp motor in one of these in a 1/4 - 1/8 mile?

Robert P.

Old 07-31-2006, 08:44 AM
powerdog
Junior User
Originally Posted by I_Thnk_Ford
Thanks Jess,
I am glad to hear that it still gets 20 plus at that horse power.
I have owned 250 crews and a single cab for sometime but have always been a pinto fan at heart. Still am but now that I have 14 years of marriage under my belt, my wife has not been as "coming around" on the Pinto thing. So, we agreed on a Triumph Spitfire. It's not Ford, but it's motor can be. There are some that have done this conversion but don't know about the turbo conversion. I can't have my light Pinto to wrap around a 275 hp 2.3, but now maybe I can have still have a light "sports car" with a healthy 2.3.

Jess, do you mind I link your web page to other posts on other forums?

I am sure others would like to know about this conversion.

Just FYI these cars weigh in as low as 1900 lbs to 2300lbs. Could you imagine a 275+ hp motor in one of these in a 1/4 - 1/8 mile?

Robert P.
Way to go!!

A car that light with 275HP will be crazy quick.

Yea post my web sight any where you would like that is fine with me.

keep us updated on your prodject

Old 08-23-2006, 04:49 PM
mmorto
New User
I am not well informed as of yet. Can you tell me how to find SCT and the RPS Ranger Forum? I want to work on a 2.5 and am having trouble finding much of anything for it. Thanks
Mike
mike@rockford.com

Old 08-23-2006, 06:29 PM
powerdog
Junior User
Originally Posted by mmorto
I am not well informed as of yet. Can you tell me how to find SCT and the RPS Ranger Forum? I want to work on a 2.5 and am having trouble finding much of anything for it. Thanks
Mike
mike@rockford.com
Way to go I am working on a high HP 2.5L right now hope to hit 450+ HP aiming for a 10sec pass in the 1/4. I have over 2000$ just in the bare motor as of now. I am going with a large cam, I got the crower rods, wiesco pistons, gapless rings, large valve head ported and polished about to the max. I know I will hit 450RWHP with large injectors I may even go up to 500RWHP.

SCT = http://www.sctflash.com/

As for RPS I can not post it on here or the post won't go up, it's filtered lol. You will see a link to RPS on the front page of my sight. www.rangersrevenge.com

Old 08-24-2006, 03:58 PM
mmorto
New User
Thanks. I'll check them out tonight.
Mike

Old 09-25-2006, 01:14 PM
99F150
Fleet Mechanic
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Timing belt

Originally Posted by powerdog
Way to go I am working on a high HP 2.5L right now hope to hit 450+ HP aiming for a 10sec pass in the 1/4. I have over 2000$ just in the bare motor as of now. I am going with a large cam, I got the crower rods, wiesco pistons, gapless rings, large valve head ported and polished about to the max. I know I will hit 450RWHP with large injectors I may even go up to 500RWHP.

SCT = http://www.sctflash.com/

As for RPS I can not post it on here or the post won't go up, it's filtered lol. You will see a link to RPS on the front page of my sight. www.rangersrevenge.com
I don't want to hijack your thread but, can you tell me what the lower gear runs on a 99 2.5L besides the oil pump? I put a new timing belt in mine and think that gear may be one tooth off? Do I need to tear this apart again or is it not that critical?
Thanks Dan

Old 09-25-2006, 05:42 PM
handyman43358
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If its distributorless, all that bottom gear runs is the oil pump. In earlier applications (distributored), the distributor ran off the oil pump via a shaft. So it was critical to get the crank, cam, and distributor all in line. It's really no different than a bigger cam-in-block engine, other than the fact that in the 2.3, the distributor runs off the oil pump, rather than the oil pump running off the distributor. Rather than making two steps in the timing process (setting the cam in line with the crank... then later setting the distributor), this is one BIG step.

In 89 I believe all the Lima 2.3's and later 2.5's were distributorless and just used that bottom gear for the oil pump. If you are having problems with your truck 99F150 feel free to start a new post, someone in this great forum will be happy to help you out.

Old 03-01-2009, 08:11 AM
99F150
Fleet Mechanic
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by powerdog

SCT = SCT Automotive Performance Products

As for RPS I can not post it on here or the post won't go up, it's filtered lol. You will see a link to RPS on the front page of my sight. Rangers Revenge

How has the 2.5 held up?

I have a line on an 88 Tbird Turbo coupe with an auto.
Can the turbo setup be installed on my 2.5 in my 99 Ranger with out opening up the engine?

I am guessing I would need the throttle body, injectors, maf sensor etc swapped over. I have a custom Diablo two tune chip already that could be re tuned. I use E85 on one tune and would use that or premium with the turbo.
I am only looking for 6-10psi or 20-30HP increase at the tire.
Thanks

Old 03-02-2009, 10:13 PM
handyman43358
Postmaster
I'm not sure. The turbo engines have forged pistons. From what I've heard, the stock Ranger ECU should be ok up to about 10 pounds. I don't know how good the stock pistons will be good to, however.

Old 03-11-2009, 04:48 PM
jimdandy
Posting Guru
Wow!!! Talk about digging up bones..........This thread was started by Jess Warren. I doubt he comes here anymore. His website is:
www.rangersrevenge.com
Check there for info.jd

Old 03-11-2009, 04:55 PM
Econoline 150
Elder User
Originally Posted by handyman43358
I'm not sure. The turbo engines have forged pistons. From what I've heard, the stock Ranger ECU should be ok up to about 10 pounds. I don't know how good the stock pistons will be good to, however.
I just stumbled onto this thread, yes, the Turbos certain years I believe had forged pistons (I don't think the early carbed ones did)
They were making over 200 horses in the SVO Mustang, pretty rapid little engine, and it has plenty of potential.
There was a guy in Hot Rod a few years ago that had a 10 sec Turbo Pinto and a 12 sec Ranger on the Power Tour.

Old 04-20-2012, 07:00 PM
roccorx3
New User
97 ranger 2.3 swap 5 spd turbo swap

I have been contemplating this swap and have a 86 2.3 manual tbird turbo swap , i just found this ranger blown head gasket
1 st what combo is best i know turbo pistons and rods but what head is best and i know roller lifter and ranger cam is bigger
2 what wiring ign setup . distributer or can sensor type
3 low bost for starters but grow as we go daily fun driver
thanks for any suggestions help or advice on my swap
Boosting soon

Old 10-13-2013, 06:41 PM
Frozen_Joker
Tuned
Revive!

Time to Frankenstein this thread. Lol. I was reading over and I much like this idea for the ranger. However, none of this fella's links work anymore. I can handle getting most of what I need from the local 6 junkyards I have. Lol. I am gonna be starting a new build thread on this once I begin to work on it here in the next week.

Is there anyway to get ahold of this Powerdog/Jesse Warren guy. I had a couple questions pertaining to his build. I am gonna be going straight for the 500rwhp build, which I had in mind doing by dropping in a different motor. But now I think I can work with the one I got.

Thanks!

Old 02-25-2014, 06:02 PM
TheDudeAbides
Elder User
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Just drove to Spokane and back in a day to pick up a t-bird turbocoupe motor (complete,) t-5 trans, bellhousing, two new clutch sets, two turbos, wiring harness and ECM. 4 bennies isn't a bad deal on a pulled running motor and trans with all the trimmings! can't wait to start with the build this summer.

Quick Reply: Making big HP with the 2.3L. It can be done!