Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Super Duty/Heavy Duty > Super Duty & Heavy Duty
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Super Duty & Heavy Duty 1999 to current Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines SPONSORED BY:

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-05-2005, 05:32 PM
New User

StaJs is starting off with a positive reputation.
Keyless Hack

I found that if I let my 2001 SD run to warm up, than lock my doors, I cannot use the keyless remote to unlock the doors. I have to use a spare key. On my other vehicles I could always use the factory remote with the vehicle running.
I also was told that thats how Ford does it. Is there a fix??
Disabling the keyless entry with the engine running surely isn't a better idea.
Old 12-06-2005, 12:21 AM
Post Fiend

FortyFords is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Chk your owners manual on how to disable auto locking feature I think that is whats doing it.
Rich
Old 12-06-2005, 03:08 AM
Junior User

SZAlbNM is starting off with a positive reputation.
The keypad on the driver's door works while the vehicle is running. I agree, it would be nice to use the remote.
Old 12-06-2005, 07:45 AM
New User

Quote:
Originally Posted by FortyFords
Chk your owners manual on how to disable auto locking feature I think that is whats doing it.
Rich
I don't have autolock, or it's already disabled.
It's hard to believe Ford disabled keyless with the engine running. Good thing I tried it out while sitting in the truck first or I would have been sunk.
Old 12-06-2005, 07:50 AM
Post Fiend

FortyFords is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Do you have a keylees entry pad on the door of the truck?If the answers is no then I misunderstood your information. Because the door entry should overide all the locks
I been wrong before.
If you talking about a hand held remote entry then,I will try it and see.

Rich
Old 12-06-2005, 08:26 AM
Super Moderator

Krewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputation
My '96 t-bird and '97 Cougar work the same way as my '01 does ...
'97 Cougar XR7 30th Anniv Edition 4.6L
'74 F250 Highboy FE390 deceased!
I've been wrong before, I'll be wrong again. Just wait and see. ®
Old 12-06-2005, 09:23 AM
Senior User

mwpierson is starting off with a positive reputation.
This may not be the actual reason, but I think that's done to eliminte your ability to use the panic button while driving. When I was a wise-*** kid, I would turn on the siren using the panic button to "clear" the slower traffic ahead. Worked every time but only at night. Ah, Good times... good times.

Mike
Old 12-06-2005, 10:55 AM
Senior User

duallydawg is starting off with a positive reputation.
key fob works with engine running. Have key and fob on snap clip so I can seperate them. also have aftermarket keypad and it works with engine running. Just can't lock doors with door lock switch.

02 f350
Old 12-06-2005, 11:56 AM
New User

Quote:
Originally Posted by FortyFords
Do you have a keylees entry pad on the door of the truck?If the answers is no then I misunderstood your information. Because the door entry should overide all the locks
I been wrong before.
If you talking about a hand held remote entry then,I will try it and see.

Rich
No, no pad on the door. Yes, I was talking about the remote. Will not work with the doors locked and engine running.
WARNING: Try it while INSIDE the truck just in case it doesn't work. I almost found out the hard way!
Old 12-06-2005, 12:06 PM
Senior User

Milwaukee,WI is starting off with a positive reputation.
FWIW I don't think its just ford...

I bought a 95 Blazer brand new with Keyless, and learned the hard way that you can't use the remote when the engine was running on that vehicle either.

Of course I learned my lesson and no longer buy P.O.S's (pieces of ssshhhhevy)

On my 06 Lariat you can't lock the door when the engine is running. You have to lock the door with the key, or the keypad. If you try to lock it with the power lock and then shut the door, the lock pops open on its own so you can't lock yourself out.

FWIW... I've ALWAYS had a spare key made (just for unlocking the doors) and found a place to tape it under the truck with black electical tape in case of emergency. I keep the other spare key with remote in the vehicle. That way I can never be locked out and if I lose the keys at the beach or something I'm covered.
Old 12-06-2005, 01:06 PM
New User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milwaukee,WI
FWIW I don't think its just ford...
Looks like it so far . . .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milwaukee,WI
I bought a 95 Blazer brand new with Keyless, and learned the hard way that you can't use the remote when the engine was running on that vehicle either.
RU sure?
I double checked my 98 POS ZR2 and found that when the engine is running and hit the power lock switch the lock pops back up, just in case you bump it upon exit I suppose. If you push the lock down than close the door you CAN use the remote to unlock the door. (with engine running!)

This is why I would want my 01 SD to do this, but I guess not.
Old 12-06-2005, 04:57 PM
Senior User

function12 is starting off with a positive reputation.
On my 01 the key fob was dead once the key was in the ignition. Once you locked the doors by munualy pushing the button down you needed a key to open. I think they fixed this on the 03's and better. My 04 I have a keypad on the door that will work if the key is in the ingnition.
I think they though they were helping you out by not being able to lock your key is the car while it was running. The never though you might want to warm up or cool down your truck and have the doors lock so someone just does not walk up and drive away. In Dever Co I thought they called it stealing a smoker. The thief would see the car smoking from the cold and just walk up and drive away.
Just my 2 1/2 cents.
Old 12-06-2005, 04:57 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Super Duty/Heavy Duty > Super Duty & Heavy Duty

Tags
2004, code, doors, engine, entry, f250, fob, ford, hack, key, keyless, keypad, locked, running, runningbut, unlock, work