Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Older, Classic & Antique Trucks > 1973 - 1979 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

1973 - 1979 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Dentsides Ford Truck

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-21-2014, 06:53 PM
Junior User

KraZeDav is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Endeavourniche View Post
I have a 1979 Roll A Long on an E350 chassis.

KrazeDave all you had to do was replace the timing gear set and chain with one for a 429, add some headers and free flowing exhaust, and a mild cam and that 460 would sling a little Jeep around like nothing.
Wow! That is a Nice one. Thank you for posting a picture of it.
The previous owner had already put a RV cam in it. and headers.

I sold mine thought about calling the buyer up and seeing if he wanted to sell it back to me.

It would pull my Jeep Okay, but struggles up a steep grade. Last trip I had, I rubbed a hole in my tranny coolant line. Lost the engine brake ( no tranny fluid ) going down a steep grade. My brakes started to fail. Managed to pull off the road safely. No brake system on the jeep for all that extra weight I was hauling. Brake rotors glowing red hot. That and the 7 mpg just cost me to much to go any where. Lookin' for a cabover to throw on the back of 2006 Ford F250. I would get a off road trailer to tow behind the jeep but the wife wouldn't like that very much.
Old 08-21-2014, 09:39 PM
Freshman User

Endeavourniche is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KraZeDav View Post
Wow! That is a Nice one. Thank you for posting a picture of it.
The previous owner had already put a RV cam in it. and headers.

I sold mine thought about calling the buyer up and seeing if he wanted to sell it back to me.

It would pull my Jeep Okay, but struggles up a steep grade. Last trip I had, I rubbed a hole in my tranny coolant line. Lost the engine brake ( no tranny fluid ) going down a steep grade. My brakes started to fail. Managed to pull off the road safely. No brake system on the jeep for all that extra weight I was hauling. Brake rotors glowing red hot. That and the 7 mpg just cost me to much to go any where. Lookin' for a cabover to throw on the back of 2006 Ford F250. I would get a off road trailer to tow behind the jeep but the wife wouldn't like that very much.

I've managed to get mine to average about 9 mpg. I don't really even worry about mileage to be honest. It is what it is. I just put gas in and go as far as I can. lol. I just went from NW Florida to Oklahoma and around the Ozark mountains then back and I averaged about 9-10 mpg. I had budgeted at 5 mpg so I was extremely happy with that.

Mine was a barn find. It has never been outdoors except when in use in it's entire life. It has 62,000 original miles. When I was in Oklahoma someone asked what I paid for it. When I told them I paid $2300 they said "Are you crazy? Driving a $2300 motorhome this far?" I told them $2300 is just the entrance fee, you didn't ask how much I have in it lol.
Old 08-21-2014, 09:57 PM
Freshman User

Endeavourniche is starting off with a positive reputation.
I also have a good tip. If you do your own repair work on your motorhome and you breakdown on the road and need parts but have no way to go get them, Oreilly's will deliver them to you. They are the only auto parts store in the US that will do it. They don't even charge you for delivery. I've had them bring me parts from 20 miles away. They have saved my *** a few times.
Old 08-21-2014, 09:57 PM