Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Misc. > Aftermarket Products
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-04-2005, 01:10 AM
Senior User

OzarksFord is starting off with a positive reputation.
Smile Krylon for plastic??

Has anyone tried the new Krylon spray paint for plastic? I would like to refinish the door panels on my 1983 Ford F150 by painting them if the plastic works well. Thanks in advance.
Old 12-05-2005, 03:28 AM
New User

FritoBandito is starting off with a positive reputation.
It's not quite what it's cracked up to be. I let the paint dry a couple weeks and I could still wipe it off with a little alcohol. Best to get a good plastic primer and go the traditional route.
Old 12-05-2005, 02:48 PM
Senior User

AF Mezkin is starting off with a positive reputation.
If you are refering to the Fusion paint in a can, I have used it with excellent results. I sprayed my mud guards semi-gloss black, they where gray plastic.Since then I've had no peeling, cracking or chiping. I even used a pressure washer to them and no problems. The only time the paint came off was when I went over a curb and the splash guard hit it and guaged the plastic. I think it is so good that I painted my front grill. The key is to read and fallow the directions on the can.
Old 12-05-2005, 05:13 PM
Post Fiend

1956MarkII has a very good reputation on FTE.1956MarkII has a very good reputation on FTE.1956MarkII has a very good reputation on FTE.1956MarkII has a very good reputation on FTE.
I think a plastic primer is a must. It softens the plasitc slightly, allowing the paint to really grab hold of the surface.
Old 12-06-2005, 02:34 PM
New User

griz7674 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Interesting. I want to purchase a Harley Billet Grill for my truck but they only come in chrome. I have been looking for a good quality paint in which I could paint it black without worries of it peeling etc. I realize the thread was originally about plastic but would this paint also work with billet? How about painting over the chrome stock front/rear bumpers? My goal is for an all black truck. Thought?

Griz
Old 12-07-2005, 01:49 AM
Elder User

DonsFx4 is starting off with a positive reputation.
griz...I just bought and installed the Harley grill, and it's not true billet aluminum. It's just that chrome-like finish over plastic. I'm with you on the idea...I'm also thinking of making the grill black but can't decide how to do it in a way that it'll last.
'08 Focus SE 5-spd manual
'05 Suzuki DL1000 V-Strom
Old 12-08-2005, 03:47 PM
New User

knife141 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Although I've never used the Fusion paint on an automotive application, I have used it on some prototype plastic parts with great success. Just follow the directions. This stuff is great.
Old 12-08-2005, 10:58 PM
Senior User

OzarksFord is starting off with a positive reputation.
How well can you cover one color with another? Is there any problem with bleed-through if you cover a different color?
Old 12-09-2005, 06:29 AM
Junior User

stan v is starting off with a positive reputation.
I used Rustoleum's plastic primer for my interior door panels.....for that matter, for the whole interior (it's now camo ).

Works awesome.
Old 12-09-2005, 03:11 PM
Senior User

charliehorse is starting off with a positive reputation.
I used the fusion on the radiator wings onan old CR125 Honda MX bike I got. They were a faded "Tahatian Red". Painted them a medium blue. No cracking or peeling, inspite of the flexing and vibration they get. However, bangin them through the bushes has resulted in a few scratches with some very minor peeling and the rad plastic showing thru. Considering the abuse they get, I'd say it has held up and performed very well. Granted it ain't the original impregnated color durability, but was one heck of a lot cheaper than buying new parts simply because the old ones had faded.
Old 12-26-2005, 11:36 PM
Iconoclast

Bdox has a superb reputationBdox has a superb reputationBdox has a superb reputationBdox has a superb reputationBdox has a superb reputationBdox has a superb reputationBdox has a superb reputationBdox has a superb reputationBdox has a superb reputationBdox has a superb reputationBdox has a superb reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzarksFord
Has anyone tried the new Krylon spray paint for plastic? I would like to refinish the door panels on my 1983 Ford F150 by painting them if the plastic works well. Thanks in advance.
I built some kiosks out of melamine and was having a bad time getting paint to stick. A guy at my local hardware told me to try the Krylon Fusion, made for painting plastic. It was the only thing that sticks to that plastic coating. I did some tests, and it sticks whether I sanded first or not. The only problem is there is a very limited color selection.

corporations are not persons
corporations are not persons. corporations are not persons.corporations are not persons. corporations are not persons. corporations are not persons.
Old 01-15-2006, 09:40 PM
Elder User

Sgt Wonderful is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Fusion paint in a can

If you are refering to the Fusion paint in a can. I used it once and had a great time resanding the plastic to get the stuff back off. I painted my dash bazel, and regretted doing it. IMO
Old 01-15-2006, 09:40 PM