Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > Bio-diesel, Propane & Alternative Diesel Engine Fuels
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-02-2005, 03:20 PM
Senior User

Mopey is starting off with a positive reputation.
BIO-Diesel???

My local fuel station is going to have Bio-diesel starting next month, should I give it a try? Are there any advantages to it? Will it help control the rising price of diesel around here or is it just as expensive, if not more? I do not know much about this, so let me know what you think. Mopey.
MagnefineTranny Filter,Trans,Boost, EGT Guage's
Ford AIS AIH Delete
DP PCM 60 hp
Old 12-02-2005, 03:27 PM
Senior User

kilapapipa is starting off with a positive reputation.
I would like to know more also, they are putting in a plant to pruduce it her in Wyoming according to the local paper.

On edit, here is a site I found on it. Haven't read it yet though.
http : // journey to forever.org/biodiesel_make.html

Past it and take out the spaces
2000 F250, CC, Auto, LB, F5 DP Tuner,HI,60,80E,120,140Smoke, 4" turbo back, straight pipe exhaust, Homemade intake with NAPA 6637, Autometer Z-Series Guages, WW and ATS housing, HX Mod, CCV Mod, TC Lock Up Switch, ITP- In-Tank, Pre-Pump and Regulated Return. Air Dog, AIH Mod, ITP Overboost.

Last edited by kilapapipa; 12-02-2005 at 03:35 PM.
Old 12-02-2005, 05:23 PM
Freshman User

John970 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Thumbs up

I've been running B20 for about 4 months. I've had this '01 F350 7.3 PSD (75,000 mi) for 9 months. I first tried it before a road trip pulling my 27' 5th wheel. I pulled just fine - I haven't seen any power loss. Before with the Dino-Diesel I pulled my old 31' 5th Whl to Southern UT (true it weighed 4000 lbs more), but I felt like I had less power on flat lands with the 31' than it then I did pulling the hills in Wyoming with the 27 footer. Unloaded power seems the same. MPG up slightly from the first 5 months.

The only thing I don't like is trying to find it in my area. I only know of 3 stations in the state that carry it. Price in many cases has been 5-8 cents a gallon cheaper than the going Dino-Diesel price.

I'd say go for it!

PS: I smells better too!!!
Old 12-02-2005, 05:33 PM
Postmaster

PSNut is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
[QUOTE=John970
PS: I smells better too!!![/QUOTE]

What would u say it smells like?

'02 F250,4X4,7.3L PSD,DP Tuned,supporting mods,empty wallet.
Old 12-02-2005, 05:51 PM
Post Fiend

Kwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputation
http://www.facebook.com/http://facebook.com/Kwikkordead#!/Kwikkordead
A lot of people say it smells like french fries. But I think they are way off. It's like trying to say that alligator meat tastes like chicken. It has it's own unique smell.
2000 VW Passat 1.8t Tiptronic. ZZOOOOOMMMM!!!
You cannot explain or explain away the power of God.
Old 12-02-2005, 05:55 PM
Post Fiend

Kwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputation
Oh and Mopey I recommend the Bio. It's a great lubricant for the injectors.
Old 12-02-2005, 05:56 PM
Postmaster

PSNut is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
I have to try some of this stuff. I hear the only drawback is it doesn't do well
in the cold climates.

'02 F250,4X4,7.3L PSD,DP Tuned,supporting mods,empty wallet.
Old 12-02-2005, 06:08 PM

cookie88 has a brilliant futurecookie88 has a brilliant futurecookie88 has a brilliant futurecookie88 has a brilliant futurecookie88 has a brilliant futurecookie88 has a brilliant futurecookie88 has a brilliant futurecookie88 has a brilliant futurecookie88 has a brilliant futurecookie88 has a brilliant futurecookie88 has a brilliant future
f250juggernaut
I pay more for bio, and drive out of the way to get it just because I like the way the truck runs on it.

Thread moved to Bio forum.
79 Bronco Ranger XLT.. used be the driver, now waiting to become the project.
96 Grand Marquis LS... 25 mpg commuter
Old 12-02-2005, 06:12 PM

cookie88 has a brilliant futurecookie88 has a brilliant futurecookie88 has a brilliant futurecookie88 has a brilliant futurecookie88 has a brilliant futurecookie88 has a brilliant futurecookie88 has a brilliant futurecookie88 has a brilliant futurecookie88 has a brilliant futurecookie88 has a brilliant futurecookie88 has a brilliant future
f250juggernaut
Quote:
Originally Posted by John970
I've been running B20 for about 4 months. I've had this '01 F350 7.3 PSD (75,000 mi) for 9 months. I first tried it before a road trip pulling my 27' 5th wheel. I pulled just fine - I haven't seen any power loss. Before with the Dino-Diesel I pulled my old 31' 5th Whl to Southern UT (true it weighed 4000 lbs more), but I felt like I had less power on flat lands with the 31' than it then I did pulling the hills in Wyoming with the 27 footer. Unloaded power seems the same. MPG up slightly from the first 5 months.

The only thing I don't like is trying to find it in my area. I only know of 3 stations in the state that carry it. Price in many cases has been 5-8 cents a gallon cheaper than the going Dino-Diesel price.

I'd say go for it!

PS: I smells better too!!!
Welcome to Ford Truck Enthusiasts. Glad you've chosen the best site for Fords.

Last edited by cookie88; 12-02-2005 at 06:14 PM.
Old 12-02-2005, 11:27 PM
Freshman User

John970 is starting off with a positive reputation.
OK, "smells better" was not the best words. It doesn't choke me up and cause me to weeze & cough. Being around the old high sulfer Dino-Diesel trucks in the Army 20+ years ago about choked me to death . Even now with the Low/Ultra Low Sulfer normal straight diesel emmissions from Dad's Diesel Pusher Motorhome (CAT) and his 2002 F350 7.3 PSD - I have to try to keep about 20 feet away.

I had to do that somewhat with mine for the 1st 5 months = Not any more .
Old 12-03-2005, 09:04 AM
Elder User

jimkidd is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.jimkidd is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cookie88
I pay more for bio, and drive out of the way to get it just because I like the way the truck runs on it.
Scott,

Where do you get your bio? Stuttgart? BTW I'm in the process of brewing my own. Just getting my stuff together.

jimbo

WANTED: Someone to go back in time with me. You'll get
paid after we getback. Must bring your own weapons.
Safety not guaranteed. I have only done this once before.
www.jimkidd.com
Old 12-06-2005, 06:22 PM
Senior User

OMCUSNR is new and has a neutral reputation at this point.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mopey
My local fuel station is going to have Bio-diesel starting next month, should I give it a try? Are there any advantages to it? Will it help control the rising price of diesel around here or is it just as expensive, if not more? I do not know much about this, so let me know what you think. Mopey.
I'm a BIG proponent of bio diesel. I think its the best thing we can do individually to protect the country, help the economy, enviroment, and our trucks. I have a 03 6.0, and I've been running 5g/38g tank every other fill since new, 2 years ago. I haven't been using more because of cost.

I can get B-99 here, but its $3.25g, while #2 has dropped back down to about $2.60. Bio diesel can be blended with #2 in any percentage, and you don't need to do anything to a newer trcuk to use it other than carry a few fuel filters. The longer you've used #2 the more crud is in the fuel system, and likely to clog with high concentrations of bio-d.

My truck runs noticablly quieter & smoother when I run bio-d. I filled up the other day w/ #2, and decided it was time to go back to bio-d. I now stick $50 of B-99 in & then top with #2. Costs about $105/tank. Its about B-50.

Just remember, if you get a bad batch of #2 Ford won't pay for a warranty repair.
Old 12-07-2005, 07:13 AM
Post Fiend

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMCUSNR
I'm a BIG proponent of bio diesel. I think its the best thing we can do individually to protect the country, help the economy, enviroment, and our trucks. I have a 03 6.0, and I've been running 5g/38g tank every other fill since new, 2 years ago. I haven't been using more because of cost.

I'm with you there. Keep the money on shore!
Old 12-07-2005, 12:53 PM
Senior User

wants_a_power_stroke is starting off with a positive reputation.
Not to mention it would give farmers a steady cash crop using soy based biodiesel. I'm originally from Nebraska and there are a good number of our farmer friends that have gone under because crop prices have stayed in the toilet.

2002 F-250 4X4 CC
AIS, 4" exhaust, pillar gauges, leveling kit for now....
Old 12-07-2005, 06:37 PM

f250juggernaut
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimkidd
Scott,

Where do you get your bio? Stuttgart? BTW I'm in the process of brewing my own. Just getting my stuff together.

jimbo
Carlisle and Lonoke both have MFA stations with B2. I would like to try B5-B20, but it does not exist in the state that I can find.
Old 12-07-2005, 06:37 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > Bio-diesel, Propane & Alternative Diesel Engine Fuels

Tags
4033, primrose