Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L)
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L) Diesel Topics Only

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-02-2005, 03:12 PM
Junior User

rfish84 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Trying to start, truck turns over, back off the key STILL TURNING OVER !!!

Somebody help me here. I am not a mechanic, but i am fairly intelligent and very good with tools.

1988 F350 7.3 diesel with 130K
Great truck, havent had any problems since i got it in the spring.

The other day i went to start the truck, turned it over and it didnt start on the first try.
(this happens from time to time, but it always goes on the second try)

Well when i backed off the key, the truck continued to turn over. I repeated the motion on the ignition cylinder, took the key out, still turning over the engine by itself until it killed both batteries.

I replaced the starter solenoid thinking maybe it was frozen open. No luck. Still does it. I will re-charge the batts,try again. Its like whatever is supposed to tell the thing to stop trying to start, isnt telling it.

Somebody help me!! i am going crazy
Old 12-02-2005, 03:15 PM
Junior User

Bye the way, in addition to what i just said:

The pushrod on top of the column seems to be moving freely, and i also attemped to adjust the location of the ignition switch box on top of the column thinking maybe it need to move down a little.

No difference.
Old 12-02-2005, 04:13 PM
Senior User

smiller4597 is starting off with a positive reputation.
make sure the rod is returning when you turn the key back to the run position. under the steering wheel are two pot metal actuators one is a gear that your key switch rides on and the other is the actuator that controls that rod. These two parts are weak points in the mechanics of the system.
Old 12-02-2005, 04:20 PM
Senior User

smiller4597 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quick piece of advise, Disconnect the starter solenoid under the hood while you are playing with it so the starter does not engage and start turning. You dont want to be replacing the starter too.
Old 12-02-2005, 10:34 PM
Senior User

wh336fire is starting off with a positive reputation.
Yes , disconnect the wire going to the starter from the fender mounted starter solenoid . Then use a test light or volt meter to see if the system is working correctly to that point . Check voltage at the terminal where you removed the wire when you turn the key .It should only be hot while holding the key to start . Then you will know which way to go to find the problem . There is another solenoid on the starter .
headers and dual 3" exhaust with stacks
lt315/75-16
hers 86 f350 4x4 crew cab
6.9 5speed
lt285/75-16
Both non-turbo
Old 12-02-2005, 10:42 PM
Post Fiend

Dave Sponaugle is a splendid one to beholdDave Sponaugle is a splendid one to beholdDave Sponaugle is a splendid one to beholdDave Sponaugle is a splendid one to beholdDave Sponaugle is a splendid one to beholdDave Sponaugle is a splendid one to beholdDave Sponaugle is a splendid one to behold
Sounds like the lower starter mounted solenoid is stuck closed.
If that is the case it will start cranking as soon as you hook up the battery cables.
The battey cables run directly to the starter mounted solenoid.

"I dig dirt"

FTE Guidelines

FTE Moderator IDI diesel forum

WV Chapter Member
Old 12-05-2005, 08:55 AM
Junior User

will let u guys know what happens. Thanks for all the good advice. In the meantime i replaced the Ignition Switch also. Only 13 bucks at NAPA.
Old 12-08-2005, 04:26 PM
Junior User

Now i am startin to lose it..

I replaced the starter solenoid (the one under the hood) and i put in a new ignition switch.

The thing still cranks over and keeps cranking even when i back off the key. This is nuts...

I am hearing about another solenoid on the starter itself ? Whats that all about?

Someone please help, i am going crazy !! Plus the snow is coming and its my plow truck.
Old 12-08-2005, 06:41 PM
Senior User

wh336fire is starting off with a positive reputation.
Yes , the one on the fender operates the solenoid on the starter . Personally I would replace the starter with a new high torgue starter from D B Electrical in Tennesee .They are new and cost $150.00 including shipping. I am running 2 of them . They turn the engine over faster and have more torgue .
headers and dual 3" exhaust with stacks
lt315/75-16
hers 86 f350 4x4 crew cab
6.9 5speed
lt285/75-16
Both non-turbo
Old 12-08-2005, 06:41 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L)

Tags
1999, battery, cranks, engine, expedition, f150, ford, freely, hook, key, motor, off, start, truck, turn, turning, turns