2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Changing SPARK PLUGS 5.4

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2005, 10:41 AM
hardcase72
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Changing SPARK PLUGS 5.4

I needed to start a NEW THREAD, the last one was over 10 pages and impossible to find anything.

I along with 2 friends plan on changing our plugs inthe next 30 days. Can you help with these questions?

1) Verify the NEW plug numbers?? Links for best prices??

2) Can someone please explain the removal of the coil packs???

3) Which plug # (1-8) is the BEAR to get out? Any ideas to make easier?

4) HOt or cold?

Thanks for the help!

Old 11-30-2005, 11:58 AM
ford390gashog
Fleet Owner

Received 519 Likes on 398 Posts
Old 11-30-2005, 02:02 PM
insynco
Junior User
Hardcase, how many miles are on these trucks?

I used the Motorcraft PZT2FF4 which is an updated version of Motorcraft PZT2FE. Got them at Rockauto.com for about $8.20 each. I hear the autolite HR series for this vehicle is an excellent plug too. You can also get them at Rockauto.com. These are around $7.00.
You might want to try using some penetrating oil in the plug well before trying to pull those plugs. I used PB brand penetrating catalyst and I left it sit for 24 hours and it actually penetrated all the way down to the tip of the plug, which is almost unbelievable, but it did. Do not try to remove them with a hot engine. A cold engine would be fine but not if the temp is below say 40 degrees.

The worst plugs to get out were the two at the rear of the head on the passenger side. You almost need to remove the computer to get to these. The coil packs are very easy to remove. If you can look back through the "who has changed their spark plug thread", someone gave a good detail of the whole procedure. If I can find it I will post it.

Old 11-30-2005, 03:07 PM
superrangerman2002
Logistics Pro
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
Check out the 97-03 F150 Forum for a good Tech article on the 2v trucks, it will be a tad different, but it will get you pointed in the right direction.

Old 11-30-2005, 09:12 PM
xtrm1stang
Senior User
Ford has several TSB's out that state to use the PZT 1F spark plugs, here are some copies from those TSB's:

Be sure the latest level spark plugs are installed.

<TABLE border=0><TBODY><TR><TD width=80>NOTE:</TD><TD>THE LATEST LEVEL PLUG WILL BE MARKED WITH (PZT 1F) ON THE PORCELAIN INSULATOR</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=3 border=1><TBODY><TR><TH align=middle>PART NUMBER</TH><TH align=middle>PART NAME</TH></TR><TR><TD class=NOBOTTOMBORDER align=left>PZT 1F-F4</TD><TD class=NOBOTTOMBORDER align=left>Spark Plug</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Hope this helps everyone!

Old 11-30-2005, 10:14 PM
insynco
Junior User
Originally Posted by xtrm1stang
Ford has several TSB's out that state to use the PZT 1F spark plugs, here are some copies from those TSB's:

Be sure the latest level spark plugs are installed.

<TABLE border=0><TBODY><TR><TD width=80>NOTE:</TD><TD>THE LATEST LEVEL PLUG WILL BE MARKED WITH (PZT 1F) ON THE PORCELAIN INSULATOR</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=3 border=1><TBODY><TR><TH align=middle>PART NUMBER</TH><TH align=middle>PART NAME</TH></TR><TR><TD class=NOBOTTOMBORDER align=left>PZT 1F-F4</TD><TD class=NOBOTTOMBORDER align=left>Spark Plug</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Hope this helps everyone!
Cant seem to find that TSB, do you have a TSB number or a link?

Old 12-01-2005, 12:09 AM
exiled
Posting Guru
The dealership just replaced mine under warranty and they used pzt-2f-f4 sparkplugs J# 1 10FOZ3 if anybody can check that job # to a TSB. i felt good that it didnt cost me a dime.

hardcase i thought the last plug on passanger #4 was the hardest and 1st on driver #5 was troublemsome working around the power steering resovour.
you'll need a 7mm socket to remove the coilpack keeper the coilpack just pulls up and out. you'll need a 9\16 deepwell socket or sparkplug socket to remove the plugs. mine came out rather easy. they growned coming out but no problem.

if your truck is under warranty and you get your plugs out and their corroded see if your dealer will warranty them.

Old 12-01-2005, 10:29 PM
xtrm1stang
Senior User
I can't find the TSB that I copied that from , but TSB # 05-13-04 states:

Replace the spark plug(s) that were fouled. Pre-lubricate any cylinders that had fuel present with two (2) shots of clean engine oil. Do not over-lubricate cylinders. Proceed to Step 8.
<TABLE border=0><TBODY><TR><TD width=80>NOTE:</TD><TD>IF SPARK PLUG REPLACEMENT IS REQUIRED ON A VEHICLE BUILT BEFORE 4/26/2005, CHECK THE SPARK PLUG PART NUMBER STAMPED ON THE PLUG. IF SPARK PLUGS MARKED WITH "PZT 1F" ON THE PORCELAIN INSULATOR ARE INSTALLED, ONLY REPLACE THE FOULED PLUG. IF ANY OTHER SPARK PLUG IS INSTALLED, REPLACE ALL 8 SPARK PLUGS WITH THE PZT 1F-F4 PLUGS. DO NOT INTERMIX PZT 1F-F4 AND PZT 2F-F4 PLUGS</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

That is a cut and past from that TSB
the new 5.4l 3v engines built after 4/26/05 have the PZT 1F-F4 plugs already installed, even the dealerships and other stores list the PZT 2F-F4's as the correct plug, but it's not correct

Old 12-01-2005, 10:44 PM
insynco
Junior User
If what you are saying is correct then the only way to get the current plug for this engine is to go directly to the ford factory. The last time I checked, the were not selling these plugs to the public or for that matter distributing them to the dealerships. So it looks like everyone will have to wait till they are available.

Old 12-02-2005, 01:42 AM
exiled
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by insynco
If what you are saying is correct then the only way to get the current plug for this engine is to go directly to the ford factory. The last time I checked, the were not selling these plugs to the public or for that matter distributing them to the dealerships. So it looks like everyone will have to wait till they are available.
then if thats so then the dealer cant use the pzt-1f plug right? so they had no choose in using the pzt-2f right. they said my shafts where separating is why they where changing them but we knew that. had nothing to do with fouling.

doesnt tsb# 05-13-04 mean that, that tsb was written may 13 2004? how could that tsb tell you to check for part# on a sparkplug with a built date of before 4\26\2005?

Last edited by exiled; 12-02-2005 at 01:45 AM.
Old 12-02-2005, 09:36 AM
insynco
Junior User
exiled,
That is right, If the dealer cant get the current plug they are gonna use the next best thing that is available to them which is PZT2FF4.
I Have no idea how these TSB's are implemented, and with regard to this particular one I still have my doubts that it even exists since I cant find it listed anywhere.

Old 12-03-2005, 01:39 AM
exiled
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by insynco
exiled,
That is right, If the dealer cant get the current plug they are gonna use the next best thing that is available to them which is PZT2FF4.
I Have no idea how these TSB's are implemented, and with regard to this particular one I still have my doubts that it even exists since I cant find it listed anywhere.
so you dont know if the tsb# is the date it was written? We know there is a problem w/ the sparkplugs and we're living with them as best as we can. i think i came out smelling pretty sweet, but the next guy cant go to his dealer armed w/ these shady tsbs and what nots. it does'nt look like ford is addressing the problem right yet {as far as publicly speaking}

they might be waiting to see if the pzt2ff4 have a problem. but by that time i'll be out warranty i reckon. or they might not be sure what to do so its up to the dealer right at this momment and going to the dealer with a so called tsb that dont exist is not going to help i'm sure.

i'm not saying it dont exist cause i dont know. i asked my dealer today about the pzt1ff4 plugs and a tsb he said all the computer shows is the pzt2ff4 and that thats what the factory is putting in the trucks now. he might be lieing only way i know to find out for sure is to test drive a new one and take it around the block and pull the plug and see. HMMMMMMM and that there still is no tsb. again could be a story.

Old 12-03-2005, 08:12 AM
hardcase72
Freshman User
I was into the dealership last week. I talked to the "SERVICE" department hoping to get a $price break on those $17.00 dealership plugs. The service guy says, "What spark plug problem". GREAAAAAT! He Looked at me like I was crazy!

So I guess my best bet is to pull a few plug's and walk in with them asking if there going to warranty thtem????? I have NO TSB# to refer too???? DANG!

Old 12-03-2005, 05:51 PM
exiled
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by hardcase72
I was into the dealership last week. I talked to the "SERVICE" department hoping to get a $price break on those $17.00 dealership plugs. The service guy says, "What spark plug problem". GREAAAAAT! He Looked at me like I was crazy!

So I guess my best bet is to pull a few plug's and walk in with them asking if there going to warranty thtem????? I have NO TSB# to refer too???? DANG!
Glad to hear back from you i was wondering how you and your buddies was coming along on your plug changing. we did sorta highjack this thread.

so you ran into the same wall i did. people in the other thread was thinking that i was ingoring that the was a problem but in fact i was'nt. the thing is the people that says "here is a tsb" only has something or small part they copied from instead of copying the whole tsb. when you go to the dealer their "like what problem". so this is what i done i took out my plugs and looked at them then i went to the dealer and had them change them and it was a warranty job. in a post up top i posted the job# you would think that maybe someone in here that works at a dealer or knows someone that can trace the job# to see whats up to make it easier for the rest of yall. i got my plugs changed for $.00. plugs are covered under warranty for corrosion. good luck in how ever you prusue this matter and keep us in the loop.

Old 12-03-2005, 09:35 PM
xtrm1stang
Senior User
I've been installing this plug since the TSB came out, have done several 5.4L 3V trucks and have had no problen getting this plug, as a mattery of fact I just did another truck on Wednesday of last week and used the PZT 1FF4. As for the TSB date, The numbers 05-13-04 relate to the year 05, the TSB update issure date wich is usuall every week, so that would be around March, and the 04 is the actual artical # in the TSB book, the fourth TSB in the 05-13 book. And since I'm a tech at a ford dealership I have access to all TSB's, and there are alot of TSB's not listed on your TSB searches. TSB 05-13-04 is related to a misfire caused by sticking injectors that are fouling plugs. We are to inspect all plugs, replace injectors that are leaking and replace only the fouled plugs if the PZT 1F are in it, and if the PZT 2F are in the truck we are supposed to replace them all.

Quick Reply: Changing SPARK PLUGS 5.4