Notices

Keep it mostly stock?

Old 11-08-2005, 04:25 PM
BikerWithTruck
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Keep it mostly stock?

Maybe I'm just biker with a truck. Last month bought an '06 Ranger XTL 4.0L 4x4 extended cab to replace my tired '93 Ranger 4.0L 2WD. The new rig is really starting to grow on me. I had many thoughts of upgrades and aftermarket parts - then I read up on them here in forums. You guys have talked me out of a lot of stuff. Now I guess I'll just stay mostly stock.

What do I use my truck for? To commute 20-miles each way when Vermont weather isn't good enough to ride my Harley - mostly on well paved and plowed roads. I'll likely put 5K miles per year on the truck. Maybe 25-30 times a year I'll find myself briefly on road conditions that qualify for for 4WD. I'll have have maybe 10 loads per year where a small pickup works a lot better than a passenger car would. It's sad but true.

I bought a Fold-a-cover and a couple other goodies which will serve my needs. In Vermont people often leave thier cars even houses unlocked all the time - it's becoming less advisable. I'll use the cover to secure some pricey toys: 4 snowboards @ $400 ea., or 2 sets of golf clubs, tools, fishing or hiking gear, etc.

I'm looking for a toolbox that I can secure in the bed, under the fold-a-cover, and right sized to fit behind the front seats when I need the entire bed. I plan to fill the toolbox with everything I might need to get myself or a neighbor out of typical roadside problems which often means stuck off the road in winter. So I started with a 5 ton tow strap & hook, flashlight, duct tape, MRE's etc.

I'm having a hard time finding a grille guard or push bar that I like. I want a big nasty chrome job that makes car drivers say "whoa, better not pull out in front of that guy" (perhaps I bought the wrong truck model). I dont want the headlights covered, just the grille. I don't care for the Westin Bull bar - personal taste.

So far you guys talked me out of:
1) K&N FIPK or any other filter/intake
2) synthetic / hm oil
3) performance chip / programmer
4) exhaust
Anyway, I was going to have all sorts of fun buying goodies for my new truck but I guess I don't really need a lot of that stuff. I could afford all sorts of things... even a bigger truck. I could make a really long list of other things that I don't think I need.

I guess what I'm saying is that you took some of the fun out of it for me but saved me some cash anyway. Thanks. I guess I'll just focus on filling up my tool box.

Old 11-10-2005, 09:50 PM
CobraXP
Logistics Pro
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Welcome to FTE!!

Surprising you were talked out of all of that. Everything except the synthetic oil is done on my '98 4.0 Ranger. I'm glad I did all of it. I've done the drop in K&N, changed to duals, and have a Diablo chip on it. Besides taking the engine out and tearing it down to do inside work on it, those three things are about the best performance ideas you can do.

I just ordered an Undercover (brand name) cover for mine. Its mostly going on just to keep snow from building up in the bed over the winter and not having to dig it out. I looked at the folding covers, but they just weren't for me (just personal preference). The neighbor has one and loves it.

Other than performance, what else would you like to do? Exterior? Tint?

Old 11-20-2005, 09:12 PM
opie71
Junior User
Beware of the folding bedcovers. My assistant manager drives a ranger, and he thought he had closed the front portion....Well he didnt and he was driving down the road and it flew up. Ford fixed the problem on account the locking mech werent shimmed properly

Old 11-21-2005, 12:21 PM
BikerWithTruck
Senior User
CobraXP: Thanks for the response. So ya, that's what I had in mind, a bit of improved performance without cracking the motor open. But there seems to be a lot of chatter in these forums about products like K&N FIPK, performance chips, etc. Some say they are good products, some say waste of time/money. Everybody has an opinion and some even have data to back it up. The opinions seem to conflict, so it's not clear that these are worthwhile. For now I'm just a bit confused, still sorting it out. It's good to hear that you are happy with your mods.

I bought the truck new (duh) a couple months ago. I ordered it at the local Ford dealer with exactly the options I wanted. First time I tried this, it was a pretty cool way to go, got everything I wanted and nothing I didn't. Some details on what I started with:

2006 Ford Ranger XLT Supercab 4x4
Dealer: 11I532l, Heritage Ford, Burlington, VT 05402
126" wheelbase
4.0L SOHC V6 Engine
5-Speed Manual Overdrive transmission
Exterior Dark Shadow Gray C/C Metal (I wanted green - Ford discontinued it in '06)
Interior medium dark flint cloth
Exterior:
Raised power dome hood
Bar style nose grill w/ chrome surround
Black manual mirrors
Black door handles
16" 5-spoke cast aluminum wheels
P255/70R16 OWL AT tires
Solar tinted glass
Tie down cargo box hooks
Front Tow hooks
Fog Lamps
Step Bars, Black
4 door cab
Interior:
Air conditioning
60/40 cloth split bench seats
Rally guage cluster
Left and right A-pillar grab handle
Color coordinated carpet and floormats
Rear jump seats
Functional:
Electric shift-on-fly 4x4 system
Power rack and pinion steering
Independent SLA front suspension
100K mile tune-up interval
Intermittent front wipers
Powerpoint, front
Safety/security:
Driver/passenger air bag
Adjustable safety belts
Anti-lock braking system
Rear high mount stop lamp
Warranty:
3 year 36,000 miles warranty
24 hour roadside assistance

Optional equipment:
Preferred equipment package 867A
4.10 ratio limited slip rear axle <------ good but less fun
5300 Gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR)
California emission system
Sliding rear window <------ Could not live without the slider!
Privacy glass <------ Ya, got this option. Looks great!
p235 all-season spare
Trailer tow class III
In-dash 6 disc CD/MP3
Payload package 2
Underrail pickup box bedliner

----------------------------------------------------
After Market do-dads:

1) Fold-a-cover (purchased, started install)
2) WeatherTech FloorLiner (soon)
3) chrome Grille Guard (still shopping, seeking recomendations)
4) Plastic tool box (still shopping, to secure under bed cover or in 'back seat')
5) toolbox fillers: tow/repair/survival gear
6) custom hitch mounted adjustable rear weights (additional winter traction)
7) K&N FIPK (uncertain - may skip this)
8) stainless steel dual exhaust (uncertain - may skip/delay this)
9) Diablo or other performance chip (uncertain - may skip this)
10) window arm rest
11) custom left side rear-view mirror visor (for night-time driving in VT)
12) jump-seat safety belt retractors (stock belts hang loose - hate that!)
13) extend-a-truck (for my 16' canoe - already bought this)
14) replacement sun visors (longer or with extension and no stupid safety stickers)
15) bigger badder tires - mostly for looks only.
16) aftermarket pedals

Seems like a long list but mostly minor tweaks. I'm going for a certain look/theme: not too radical, kinda basic. Plain-ish but sharp. Functional for getting around and not being bested by Vermont weather. In honor of the oversized front-and-center '06 Ford logo's I've settled on chrome and Ford blue trim colors to dress up the mostly grey and black factory look. Maybe I'll add blue stripes or something.

Last edited by BikerWithTruck; 11-21-2005 at 12:43 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 11-21-2005, 12:41 PM
BikerWithTruck
Senior User
Opie71 and CobraXP, About the Fold-a-cover: I already bought it and started with the install. I don't care for the soft covers with snaps that rip off the cover. I saw a truck in the parking lot where I work with a Fold-a-cover so I googled it. Talked with some buddies about other options. My bro used to work at Roll-n-lock in Florida - a couple people agreed with me that the roll-n-lock design was not ideal for snow/ice country.

The first step in the install was to chop the top couple inches off of the tailgate portion my brand-new Ford plastic under-rail bed liner. The idea is to seat the trim for the fold-a-cover wich has adhesive strips that mate to the painted metal surfaces of the top and inside of the tailgate.

It was easy enough to take the 8 torx screws out and RUN THE TAILGATE COVER THROUGH MY TABLE SAW. What a mess, but the result is very good. The rest of it looks like it will go pretty smooth and not involve too much destruction.

There is one last fine point though. The end oposite the tailgate. The bed liner is actually "over-rail" there, not under-rail like the sides. It's hard to tell but the instructions appear to leave this part of the liner intact - if so I like that. I wonder how it's gonna work out.

Opie71, this brings me to your comment. Interesting note - I'll be on the lookout for such a problem. So Ford did the Fold-a-cover install, or did they just warrantee a used truck that already had one? I've been a bit concerned about how this would work with the bedliner - would it leave a crack in front for wind to get under? Looks like there are no shims in the kit but that the locks are somewhat adjustable for fit so I think I could make it secure even with a little gap under the front.

I'll soon know more and post it here.

Last edited by BikerWithTruck; 11-21-2005 at 12:50 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 11-21-2005, 03:21 PM
opie71
Junior User
Yeppers. On the locking portion, theres some plastic around the lock portion...it will rub off and thats where the problem is. Ford did install them, and Ford did warranty them, but now its out've warranty. As a precaution, I have my guys carry zipties with them and ziptie those front 2 locks. Too big of a liability to have those come off flying at an oncoming vehicle.
Just double check the front if you ever open them up to make sure they are locked...U actually have to pull alittle bit. Doesnt open, your good..
Good luck

Old 11-27-2005, 12:15 PM
trumpboy77
Senior User
don't let people talk ya uot of any mods (unless the name "tornado" is in it). in my opinion there isn't anything worse then haveing a car that is just like every other car out there. as for the bumper go to lmctruck.com and have them send you their catalog. they'll send you a catalog for the truck you have, its awsome, and they have practicly everything you could want.

Old 11-28-2005, 01:26 PM
BikerWithTruck
Senior User
Originally Posted by trumpboy77
don't let people talk ya uot of any mods (unless the name "tornado" is in it). in my opinion there isn't anything worse then haveing a car that is just like every other car out there. as for the bumper go to lmctruck.com and have them send you their catalog. they'll send you a catalog for the truck you have, its awsome, and they have practicly everything you could want.
Nice try. lmctruck.com has nothing for Rangers newer than 1992! Mine is an '06. What's up with that? Hell, my '93 Ranger is too new!!! I called the 1-800 number just in case the webmaster is drunk. They confirmed. Any other companies recommended?