6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis

what should they fix

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2005, 09:57 PM
mhannink
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
the last thing id like to add before ya'll come back at me is like i said i never bashed ford they are good trucks and i never debated that one could make more power then the other(tho thats what it turned into) i was only stating that the psd has alot of problems mostly w/ the electronics but also w/ mechanical systems some by design some because they are cheap. i was just stating what i think they should fix since that is what the forum was asking for an opinion of what to fix i stated that i said they should get a better engine that would fix a lot of problems. to find a company that has a tested reliable otr style overbuilt easily repaired style engine the fact that the aggression between psd owners and cummins owners and the fact that i mentioned that it was a shame cummins was already taken by dodge is what sparked it off i was ready to leave it at that but i will not point fingures at who started it since it takes 2 to tango and im willing to keep dancing if u would like

Old 12-03-2005, 02:17 AM
NickFordMan
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I started i9t...
I'm not ewven going to try anymore with you man, sderiously, I'm drunk rite now to care. You say the PSD is weak, but you have no clue, just go hug your Cummins, and be happy. WeWeld, I was goona find that threead ypu were mentioning, but I couldn't remember where...I was referring to your truck. Just awesome!

Last edited by IB Tim; 12-04-2005 at 06:20 AM. Reason: Remove I'm too ****in
Old 12-03-2005, 07:48 AM
Batgeek
More Turbo
What they should fix is to stop trying to turn the PSD into a Mustang. I want a good strong diesel engine for towing and hauling. Not a 1000hp tire burning money pit. Trucks are made for work if you want to drive fast and beat everybody to the next red light get a sports car. I would like to see ford get back to their roots and make an engine that you can abuse and it will still be running 300,000 miles later. The 6.0 is not that engine, but I’m hoping the 6.4 will be. Although it won’t happen I like to see them ease up on all this computer controlled emissions BS that they have on the newer engines. Most of the problems I have with my current PSD are because of some sensor or some emission valve getting clogged. Instead of loading the engines up with this expensive tree hugging crap why don’t they just make cleaner fuel, it’s what they do in Europe. Sure fuel cost four times as much but they get better MPG and the engines last longer. One more thing after reading some of the other post here, could they add a spelling and grammar checker somehow to this site.

Old 12-03-2005, 02:32 PM
WeWeld
Senior User
This is my point of view on trucks , I want to be the first off the line at a stop light. I'm tired of everyone thinking that because you drive a truck you should be in the right lane and let them go first. I don't think so , that is why I drive the World's Quickest Powerstroke and yes we drive it on the street almost everyday. You only get a better product if you push it and see what breaks or what makes it work better. If people didn't try anything new we would all be driving 6.9 's. and be miserable trying to make them haul a load at highway speed. If you don't like the 6.0 you won't like the 6.4 basicly the same motor just more stuff bolted on it. Enough vent for now I think I will take the truck out and dust me some sports cars just because I can.

GENE

Old 12-03-2005, 02:37 PM
NickFordMan
Posting Guru
Man, Gene, you're so right. It won't be long until PSD engines are moving quicker then the Cummins.

Old 12-03-2005, 02:48 PM
WeWeld
Senior User
Originally Posted by mhannink
i would like to ask how much boost u are pushing w/ the stock head bolts and gasket a freind i know who used to service the sick 6.0s at our local dealer said the gaskets could not take much as they where layerd and desigend to blow when there was too much cyl pressure. he said it was to keep people from turning them up also how much hp/tq are u at right now w/ all ur work i would imagine that w/o the nos its around maybe 450hp@ around 2500rpm and peak tq is 900ish at something like 1900 to 2100 which a psd can make power i have no doubt just like the cummins can make much much more then what banks says it can so can psd and dmax.
We are not with Banks in anyway.
Not sure how much boost we are making as we have broke all 3 boost gauges we have installed so far. The gauges we have been using go to 60 #'s and we have a new one coming that goes to 100 #'s. The layered head gaskets with headstuds seem to solve most problems so far. We have had it on the dyno and it keeps smoking the tires , the truck shows 130 mph and the dyno shows 100 that is a lot of tire slippage. We stopped testing as we didn't want to wreck the truck with a blow out. But even at that it showed 468 RWHP. According the the calculated HP from trap speed we are making 490 RWHP. With the NOS using the same calculator we made 642 RWHP.

GENE

Old 12-03-2005, 03:42 PM
ford4.9
Senior User
Well this post seems to have gotten little off course. Although replacing the Psd with a Cummin's or Cat is one way of solving a problem, it is not what I was asking. I just wanted to hear what others thought Ford should do to the 6.0 when moving to the 6.4. There has been many post on Ford switching to another motor which where interesting but at this point way over done. They are not going to switch. As far as mod'ing goes, I say that has more to do with the mod'er. I'm sure you can find many people who have messed up a Cummin's and, as I have seen here, many that can make a Psd scoot. Okay getting off the soap box

Old 12-03-2005, 03:48 PM
Batgeek
More Turbo
Sorry Gene, I've always used trucks as a tool to get work done. Never was concerned with how fast they could go, just how much they haul our pull. I must have grown up to fast. Maybe Ford has trying to please both of us with one truck. Maybe they can "fix" the new PSD by producing two models. A race model that has an alumum frame, a diesel boosted to the hilt, carbon fiber body panels, and propane injection standard sort of like Nascar. It will go real fast but can't haul or tow crap. The other model would be for people like me who use them for work. Beefed up frame, super strong tranny, and a diesel made to last 1,000,000 miles. It will pull just about anything you put behide it, but may only be able to do the speed limit doing it.

Old 12-03-2005, 04:46 PM
WeWeld
Senior User
I think it is to late for Ford to fix all the problems with the 6.0 and the 6.4 as they need more head studs for the dependabilty needed for long life and hard work. With the added size of the 6.4 they may be able to bring the torque rating up a little. I think the twin turbo is for driveability and emmission ratings and not so much for the performance side. Sorry for getting off topic with this but I don't like it when people bad mouth the 6.0 it is really not that bad.

One more note I do have a work truck that is a 99 F450 with a 7.3 that can tow ,haul , drag race and be a daily driver with 486 RWHP and get 18 mpg with 200, 000 miles on it.

GENE

Old 12-03-2005, 06:00 PM
NickFordMan
Posting Guru
WeWeld...I checked out your gallery a while ago, very impressive. I love those 7.3Ls, and they can be modded quite a bit before dependability even becomes an issue, all while getting 18-19 mpg without even trying.

Old 12-03-2005, 08:25 PM
ford4.9
Senior User
Weweld, do you think that Navistar could put more head studs in? Or maybe bigger ones?

Old 12-03-2005, 08:33 PM
SpartanDieselTech
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by mhannink
to start ur right u never stated that an inline was better i misread part of one of ur posts for that im sry

cummins 325/610 ford 325/560 on paper ok real life is different since drive train takes different amounts of power and on the dyno

this was done at a shop on the same day
Dodge:

Rated at 325/610. At the wheels: 282/525.

Ford:

Rated at 325/570. At the wheels: 237/420

GMC:

Rated at 325/605 (LLY engine). At the wheels: 275/475. Have not dynoed an LBZ yet

i see a big difference there look like the dodge wins that one and actually ford is in last place

we all know banks knows their **** and they say the psd is not as tough this was taken from diesel power mag http://dieselpowermag.com/features/trucks/0511dp_banks/index1.html

Banks also points out that the 5.9L Cummins engine has the toughest internals
Dodge boasts the most power of the three trucks shown here, with 500 horses and 1,000 lb-ft of torque produced at the flywheel.

i will skip chevy since we are not arguing that one

The Banks Big Hoss Bundle on the 6.0L Power Stroke engine pumps out 460 hp and 825 lb-ft of torque at the flywheel. Why are those figures slightly less than the others? The boost levels help to explain. The Ford runs at 28 psi, the Duramax 30 pounds, and the Cummins with its beefier internals can handle the most pressure at 35 pounds.

well if all that doesn't say something i can find more till the cows come home all reputable all honest real life no pen and paper or bias paid testers

as for me i know my **** i have grown up loving cars and power in paticular diesels i know a lot of the old school and how they used to it ive been trained(informaly) buy old mechanics that knew their **** everyone around me comes to me for awensers on automotive stuff, i can fix anything ive built several engines and fixed major problems on many others no im not a mechanic by trade(i will be when out of school) i have also impressed many mechanics w/ my knowledge and understanding of engines. but i will not try to prove myself here one because i can't since i have no physical proof to offer u and 2 i think that ur not willing to give me credit and actually think i might know what im talking about

to end it all i will ask one question
why if your beloved powerstroke is so good and so powerful why did they offer the 5.9 cummins found in the dodge in the larger fords before switching to cat
mhannink,

Frankly, I don't think you know your head from your butt (about at the same level as Banks with the 6.0, IMO). Your dyno figures look very close to just being made up out of your head.

Stock 6.0 truck- in between 270 and 280 rwhp.

Concerning boost- Here's an attached datalog from the tune I am running currently.

MAP sensor reading (boost, yellow line on the graph) is showing pegged at 333KPA after lockup in direct drive- this is before atmospheric correction from the BARO sensor. Current BARO reading on that run was 79, leaving 254kPa net boost. This is 36.83 lbs of boost, before the sensor pegged.

There are currently other trucks running equal levels of boost because that file is being distributed by a very reputable SCT dealer. That means stock head gaskets, stock truck. I know precisely how it behaves and precisely how reliable it is because I helped compose the calibration myself.

You are quoting crap numbers and crap theory from rumors you choose to believe with absolutely no experience whatsoever.

Attached Images  

Last edited by IB Tim; 12-04-2005 at 06:54 AM.
Old 12-03-2005, 09:09 PM
mhannink
Senior User
to psd 60l fX4 like i said before i not concerned w/ the number the dyno stats i was useing it because it was done by the same guy on the same day on the same dyno. i know there are alot of debats about one dyno being acrurate and another not so i wanted one that had all those variables removed and it was just the trucks.

for banks yeah the psd can hold more boost then what they say so can cummins and dmax the point there was again not the actual number but consistency we all know that banks is ***** in a way about the products they sell to the public. they emphasize safty and reliablity. i was useing them since they have all three trucks and they all of them all the way down looked at the commponets and calculated how much each could saftly hold. we may not agree w/ the actual number it was all for consitensy for as ford4.9 said its not the mods its the modder those trucks where all modded to banks' max possible power if u want to call it that basically they play no favorites they are to the limit of each engine.

to batgeek the emmissions stuff u mentioned is not fords idea its all the liberal epa tree huggers that are making demands for that along w/ cleaner fuel this is why u see the 6.4. its all about meeting emmisions and desgining it to run a ulsd. if there was no epa we would all be around 500hp last 500,000 miles get 25 mpg and the only thing on the exhaust would be a muffler

Old 12-03-2005, 10:34 PM
Customz
Postmaster
if there was no epa we would all be around 500hp last 500,000 miles get 25 mpg and the only thing on the exhaust would be a muffler
manic-you are the most ignorant, ill-informed and obvious troll I have ever seen on this forum. You are posting opinion as fact and spreading ignorance throughout the forum...congratulations.

fyi, anyone could do those #s in any truck...how much money do you got?

Old 12-04-2005, 12:00 AM
BigF350
Hotshot
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
Dissapointing that I feel I have to do this.
It has gone very far off-track from what the original poster intended.
*****Thread locked*****