Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 6.4L Power Stroke Diesel
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis SPONSORED BY:

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-01-2005, 02:05 AM
Post Fiend

ford390gashog is a name known to allford390gashog is a name known to allford390gashog is a name known to allford390gashog is a name known to allford390gashog is a name known to allford390gashog is a name known to all
you will never see a cat engine in any LD truck anytime soon. cat has made it very clear they do not want to enter the consumer market.
Old 12-01-2005, 02:10 AM
Senior User

mhannink is new and has a neutral reputation at this point.
i am a ford guy and yes i will be going and buying a dodge my comment was that ford should get a motor simalar since as u stated the inline is better and last i checked cat was one of the best as far as the powerstroke dominating performance in what areas are u talking about because stock to stock the cummins is far supior in pulling and very fast when racing yes because of the effecint torquey(if thats a word) setup it has and in order to man handle the compitetion it would have to be better then the others as far as i see it the 6.0 is problematic to its being solved it has less torque and power its slower off the line its in every way lesser to a cummins more problems being the big thing now don't me wrong im a ford guy i love them i just wish it had a better powerplant something like cummins cat mb perkins detroint or even the international dt444 inline they are all far better then a v-8 powerstroke im not bashing ford at all im just pointing out the true differences like i said i like ford always have always will
Old 12-01-2005, 02:37 AM
Posting Guru

NickFordMan is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
The true differences?
Well, first off, the T444E engine is a V-8 diesel. It was the base for the 7.3L Powerstroke diesel engine. I own one. I would put it against ANY Cummins of the same era in performance, and towing. The 7.3L made massive, massive amounts of torque off idle. I think you were thinking th DT466, which is inline, and very large.

The Cummins does NOT have more hp then the 6.0L Powerstroke diesel engine, and only has about 40 more ft/lbs of torque(in that area). I can tell that you really have no idea what you're talking about when you claimed the Cummins stock-for-stock has better overall performance then the Ford Powerstroke. EVERY single magazine/test/real life experience that I have encountered with the 6.0L has it sitting on top. The 6.0L manual beat the Dodge manual in all aspects of performance, and towing (aside from like a .01 sec slower take off) in a truck trend article. Along with this article, and every other article I've ever read, the 6.0L, HANDS DOWN whips both competitors. Cummins, and Duramax.

It has been beaten to death, and yes, I think we all know the 6.0L was rushed to the market...but I believe the real issue was Ford's way of handling the problem, at least from what I've gathered off of here...I could be completely wrong.

You keep saying you're a Ford guy...but I don't think so. You repeat yourself so many times in your post that you're either trying to convince yourself, or you are lying. Either way, it doesn't matter, just an observation.

EDIT: Where the hell did I say the inline 6 was better? I want a quote.

Last edited by NickFordMan; 12-01-2005 at 02:40 AM.
Old 12-01-2005, 03:29 AM
FTE *******

SpartanDieselTech is a name known to allSpartanDieselTech is a name known to allSpartanDieselTech is a name known to allSpartanDieselTech is a name known to allSpartanDieselTech is a name known to allSpartanDieselTech is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhannink
i am a ford guy and yes i will be going and buying a dodge my comment was that ford should get a motor simalar since as u stated the inline is better and last i checked cat was one of the best as far as the powerstroke dominating performance in what areas are u talking about because stock to stock the cummins is far supior in pulling and very fast when racing yes because of the effecint torquey(if thats a word) setup it has and in order to man handle the compitetion it would have to be better then the others as far as i see it the 6.0 is problematic to its being solved it has less torque and power its slower off the line its in every way lesser to a cummins more problems being the big thing now don't me wrong im a ford guy i love them i just wish it had a better powerplant something like cummins cat mb perkins detroint or even the international dt444 inline they are all far better then a v-8 powerstroke im not bashing ford at all im just pointing out the true differences like i said i like ford always have always will
Holy crap.

Look at the keyboard- 2nd row from the bottom, 3rd key from the far right. Its called a "period"- try using it once in a while.
Old 12-01-2005, 10:16 PM
Senior User

to start ur right u never stated that an inline was better i misread part of one of ur posts for that im sry

cummins 325/610 ford 325/560 on paper ok real life is different since drive train takes different amounts of power and on the dyno

this was done at a shop on the same day
Dodge:

Rated at 325/610. At the wheels: 282/525.

Ford:

Rated at 325/570. At the wheels: 237/420

GMC:

Rated at 325/605 (LLY engine). At the wheels: 275/475. Have not dynoed an LBZ yet

i see a big difference there look like the dodge wins that one and actually ford is in last place

we all know banks knows their **** and they say the psd is not as tough this was taken from diesel power mag http://dieselpowermag.com/features/trucks/0511dp_banks/index1.html

Banks also points out that the 5.9L Cummins engine has the toughest internals
Dodge boasts the most power of the three trucks shown here, with 500 horses and 1,000 lb-ft of torque produced at the flywheel.

i will skip chevy since we are not arguing that one

The Banks Big Hoss Bundle on the 6.0L Power Stroke engine pumps out 460 hp and 825 lb-ft of torque at the flywheel. Why are those figures slightly less than the others? The boost levels help to explain. The Ford runs at 28 psi, the Duramax 30 pounds, and the Cummins with its beefier internals can handle the most pressure at 35 pounds.

well if all that doesn't say something i can find more till the cows come home all reputable all honest real life no pen and paper or bias paid testers

as for me i know my **** i have grown up loving cars and power in paticular diesels i know a lot of the old school and how they used to it ive been trained(informaly) buy old mechanics that knew their **** everyone around me comes to me for awensers on automotive stuff, i can fix anything ive built several engines and fixed major problems on many others no im not a mechanic by trade(i will be when out of school) i have also impressed many mechanics w/ my knowledge and understanding of engines. but i will not try to prove myself here one because i can't since i have no physical proof to offer u and 2 i think that ur not willing to give me credit and actually think i might know what im talking about

to end it all i will ask one question
why if your beloved powerstroke is so good and so powerful why did they offer the 5.9 cummins found in the dodge in the larger fords before switching to cat

Last edited by mhannink; 12-01-2005 at 10:21 PM.
Old 12-02-2005, 12:44 AM
Posting Guru

Well...first off, the Powerstroke is offered in the F-650-and up, along with the CAT, and even the Cummins diesel engines. Options.

Everything you just stated about the diesels was taken straight from that article. I know for a FACT that the Powerstroke does NOT dyno at the rear with only 237 hp. Not only is that impossible(without being de-tuned), but one of the biggest reasons for the Ford SD's ability to man-handle both GM, and Dodge is because of the rear wheel output that the Ford lays down. The numbers you listed are bogus.

460hp? That's nothing compared to what the 6.0L Powerstroke is capable of. I've seen 600hp 7.3L's with slightly under 1200 ft/lbs of torque at the BillyDog Dyno days...and the 6.0L is capable of even more. I've seen 6.0L with mild work push more then 460 rwhp out. The internals of the 6.0L are incredibly strong, actually. If I remember correctly, I think it was proven that the 6.0L internals are actually stronger then my 7.3L's. The Cummins is internally larger, and this allows for a more mod friendly engine, but we're discussing stock engines.
Only 28PSI boost? Matt...I think you need to show him some of your work
Old 12-02-2005, 01:32 AM
Senior User

proof i want proof of ur claims where the internals are so strong and how the hp numbers are impossibly low

i say to u on those points that ive seen the cummins and the 6.0 con rods the cummins rods look massive compared to the 6.0

as for the power output the trannys suck alot of power autos especilly so again i say proof where it is impossible to be so low

on the numbers im not so concerned w/ the actual number i more looking at the fact that it was the same dyno same day identical optioned trucks and there for the number are acruate to that dyno maybe they are different on another one idk or care

as for what the 6.0 is capable of idc thats a matter of what the aftermarket has made for it so far i think cummins is the most powerful in the aftermarket since the 2 fastest and what i would think are the most powerful are both cummins and there are a couple more on the way

as to what banks says the hp is capable of yes they are all capable of more. the cummins is now over 1200 on the ats dragster and some street trucks are breaking 1000 and alot are over 800 all pushing alot of boost

but as banks knows their stuff the engines are pushed to the safe limit for each i was useing them of examples of tuned trucks by the same reputable compnay so that some one can't say well thats got just a chip and the other one is totaly worked cuz these ones are totaly worked to the limt banks thinks each engine is capable of

as for banks racing program i belive to the best of my knoweldge(i know not worth much to u) that banks is not currently doing anything w/ the psd because it just doesn't hold up and that is something i heard from a tech or someone in the race program it was in an article on their site idk if it is still there
Old 12-02-2005, 02:46 AM
Posting Guru

I guess I'll dig up articles...

As for the Banks 'racing' not using PSD...there is a 6.0L that is doing low 11's in the quarter...the fastest 4x4 pickup is a Dodge Cummins doing 10.5...not much difference, so don't give me this 'can't hold up garbage.'
Old 12-02-2005, 07:27 AM
Post Fiend

PowerstrokeJunkie is a splendid one to beholdPowerstrokeJunkie is a splendid one to beholdPowerstrokeJunkie is a splendid one to beholdPowerstrokeJunkie is a splendid one to beholdPowerstrokeJunkie is a splendid one to beholdPowerstrokeJunkie is a splendid one to beholdPowerstrokeJunkie is a splendid one to beholdPowerstrokeJunkie is a splendid one to behold
you are going to get kicked out, bashing powerstrokes and supporting cummins and dodge like you do...

heed Matt's advice, use some punctuation...
Old 12-02-2005, 09:44 AM
Postmaster

Customz has a good reputation on FTE.Customz has a good reputation on FTE.Customz has a good reputation on FTE.
For someone who is trying to pass themselves off as intelligent and all knowing, you sure can't write for a darn. All these incomplete thoughts and half phrases makes it real difficult to understand you and take you seriously.

Go and fulfill your love afair with dodge/cummins and spare us, they could use the business.
Old 12-02-2005, 10:00 PM
Elder User

blueeyes2478 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Customz

Go and fulfill your love afair with dodge/cummins and spare us, they could use the business.

LMFAO hehehehehehe

Angel

2003 f-350 CC dually
Boost,Volt autometer C2 gauges
Ford Aic
80 hp chip
viair 380c and 450c with 5 gallon tank,kong K1
warn hubs
Old 12-02-2005, 10:09 PM
Senior User

Jerme is starting off with a positive reputation.
I really hope Ford doesn't fool around with the computer and sensors so much this time around, the 6.0 in the International rigs were problem free compared the one's found in superdutys. Oh... silly me, i thought this was the 6.4 thread!?
Old 12-02-2005, 10:19 PM
Senior User

WeWeld is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickFordMan
I guess I'll dig up articles...

As for the Banks 'racing' not using PSD...there is a 6.0L that is doing low 11's in the quarter...the fastest 4x4 pickup is a Dodge Cummins doing 10.5...not much difference, so don't give me this 'can't hold up garbage.'
I built and drive the 6.0 that currently holds the title as the World's Quickest Powerstroke at an 11.519 @ 119.26 mph. We have made great strides this year as we started out this year with a 14.3 @ 96 mph. This motor has had the valve covers off for a set of injectors. It still has the stock headbolts and gaskets in it. It has an aftermarket air filter , a straight piped exhaust an SCT tune , a shot of NOS and a complete new fuel system. The internals of this motor seem to be very strong so far ,we are getting ready to take it a step farther. We hope to be competetive with the dodges next year. Darren Morrison holds the record as the fastest diesel pickup with a 10.509

GENE

Builder and Driver of Stroked Lightning 11.519 @ 119.26 mph
CoBuilder of De Ranged
Old 12-02-2005, 10:27 PM
Senior User

well as for punctuation sry school never did teach me much i tend to just type what im thinking while im thinking and im not doing grammer

i never once bashed ford. i like the trucks good soild frames, good brakles, good axels, good manuel trannys, i really like the body style and interiors but thats besides the point. the whole reason this started was not because i was bashing ford but because i said that they should drop the psd program and try for a cat and i said it was to bad dodge would hold on to cummins yes its a shame they wont see them since cat doesn't want in but they should have tried for anything thats put in the otr trucks. the psd just does not have the dependabiblity the the cummins or the other over built engines has navstar builds them to go for 5 to 7 years whatever the current turn around rate is. yeah it can be made just as powerful and run w/ them hell id even say a psd could beat a cummins in a race when done right but that not what i was stating originaly.
Old 12-02-2005, 10:39 PM
Senior User

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeWeld
I built and drive the 6.0 that currently holds the title as the World's Quickest Powerstroke at an 11.519 @ 119.26 mph. We have made great strides this year as we started out this year with a 14.3 @ 96 mph. This motor has had the valve covers off for a set of injectors. It still has the stock headbolts and gaskets in it. It has an aftermarket air filter , a straight piped exhaust an SCT tune , a shot of NOS and a complete new fuel system. The internals of this motor seem to be very strong so far ,we are getting ready to take it a step farther. We hope to be competetive with the dodges next year. Darren Morrison holds the record as the fastest diesel pickup with a 10.509

GENE
ok i do not see where this ties into banks racing unless u are affiliated w/ them i have never seen a ford psd in the banks racing crew that has been worked like the dmax or the cummins they have. as far as i know they have just sold race teams a package that they offer to anyone only they get their name on the side of the truck.

u sound like ur ur own team and not an arm of banks i congradulat ur sucsess so far and hope that things continue to get faster i belive compition breeds inovation and devolopment.

i would like to ask how much boost u are pushing w/ the stock head bolts and gasket a freind i know who used to service the sick 6.0s at our local dealer said the gaskets could not take much as they where layerd and desigend to blow when there was too much cyl pressure. he said it was to keep people from turning them up also how much hp/tq are u at right now w/ all ur work i would imagine that w/o the nos its around maybe 450hp@ around 2500rpm and peak tq is 900ish at something like 1900 to 2100 which a psd can make power i have no doubt just like the cummins can make much much more then what banks says it can so can psd and dmax.
Old 12-02-2005, 10:39 PM

Closed Thread