1967 - 1972 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Bumpsides Ford Truck

In cab(behind the seat) gas tank

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2005, 05:03 PM
JohnT
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Smile In cab(behind the seat) gas tank

My new 68 F250 has the behind the seat gas tank. I've never owned a truck with this style gas tank. Are there any specific problems associated with these gas tanks that I should watch for?

Old 11-25-2005, 05:39 PM
bryyce62
Fleet Mechanic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
If its the original gas tank, rust & debris. If you're doing upgrades a new or reconditioned tank should be considered. Don't ask me how I know.

gw

Old 11-26-2005, 01:47 AM
thesprocket26
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If the seals are sold they will leak and stink up the cab. Also, the brass floats sometimes get holes worn in them and the full up with gas causing your fuel gauge to read "empty." Shine a flashlight (not a lighter or torch) into your near empty tank and look for rust and scales forming inside. Clean your electrical contacts to ensure a good reading from your sender.

Old 11-27-2005, 09:33 PM
Bdox
Fleet Owner

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I would be inclined to install a new tank under the bed.

The one you have is, what, thirty-seven years old and it's taking up space that could be used as secure storage.

Old 11-27-2005, 11:30 PM
1970Custom
Postmaster
Originally Posted by Bdox
I would be inclined to install a new tank under the bed.

The one you have is, what, thirty-seven years old and it's taking up space that could be used as secure storage.
From his other post I'm pretty sure he's not wanting to take on that venture.

Anyway behind the seat isn't for storage its for BIG amps/woofers.

Old 11-28-2005, 06:04 AM
jowilker
Fleet Owner

Received 46 Likes on 44 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnT
My new 68 F250 has the behind the seat gas tank. I've never owned a truck with this style gas tank. Are there any specific problems associated with these gas tanks that I should watch for?
John as posted some repairable issues can arrise but nothing major.

John

Old 11-28-2005, 01:13 PM
qman
Cargo Master
I have that tank. The truck sat for 5-8 years and rusted in the bottom 8 inches probably cause a lot of moisture condensated in there while it sat. The fine rust plugged up the fuel filter twice and would kill the engine. I found a spotless tank in the salvageyard and replaced it. It was a very easy job. You can check yours by taking off the fuel filter canister (it's kind of like removing an oil filter) and check it for rust. The canister is 4-5 inches long. Mine was halfway full of rust dust both times the engine quit running. The brass float also had rotted away (don't ask me why) and a new one is about $6 and real easy to replace.

Those are the problems and they're real easy to fix. Nothing to worry about.

Old 11-28-2005, 07:09 PM
workingdog
Senior User
I have a similar setup in my '68 that I am looking to get rid of. Does anyone have a recommendation for a bed mounted tank that they have used and works well - that is fits easily?

Old 11-29-2005, 08:43 PM
FEmtnmax
Senior User
If your keeping the tank behind the seat, replace the fuel filler hose between the tank and gas filler cap. This rubber hose will crack with age and cause gas smell in cab. A rancher friend loves the fuel tank behind the seat..no way it will be damaged when driving rough country.
The newer trucks with the fuel tank back by the rear axle have the frame crossmembers located to make room for the fuel tanks. The older trucks like my 67 don't have room for the newer style OEM tanks.

Old 12-01-2005, 12:57 PM
JohnT
Posting Guru
Smile

Originally Posted by qman
I have that tank. The truck sat for 5-8 years and rusted in the bottom 8 inches probably cause a lot of moisture condensated in there while it sat. The fine rust plugged up the fuel filter twice and would kill the engine. I found a spotless tank in the salvageyard and replaced it. It was a very easy job. You can check yours by taking off the fuel filter canister (it's kind of like removing an oil filter) and check it for rust. The canister is 4-5 inches long. Mine was halfway full of rust dust both times the engine quit running. The brass float also had rotted away (don't ask me why) and a new one is about $6 and real easy to replace.

Those are the problems and they're real easy to fix. Nothing to worry about.
I've been driving the truck daily for a couple of weeks now, and I haven't had an problems with the gas tank so far, so I'm guessing that my gas tank is in good shape for its' age. I know that the fuel filters were replaced before I bought the truck, and it has a clear fuel filter under the hood so I can keep an eye on the cleanliness of the gas that way. I think my truck has been driven on a pretty regular basis for most of its' life so it hasn't been sitting causing rust and corrosion to accumulate in the tank. I may eventually replace the rubber hose between the tank and the filler cap because it does seem to get a fuel odor in the cab whenever I put gas in it. Also, the gas gauge doesn't always work, but I'm not too worried about that right now.

Old 12-01-2005, 02:21 PM
Bdox
Fleet Owner

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnT
I've been driving the truck daily for a couple of weeks now, and I haven't had an problems with the gas tank so far, so I'm guessing that my gas tank is in good shape for its' age. I know that the fuel filters were replaced before I bought the truck, and it has a clear fuel filter under the hood so I can keep an eye on the cleanliness of the gas that way. I think my truck has been driven on a pretty regular basis for most of its' life so it hasn't been sitting causing rust and corrosion to accumulate in the tank. I may eventually replace the rubber hose between the tank and the filler cap because it does seem to get a fuel odor in the cab whenever I put gas in it. Also, the gas gauge doesn't always work, but I'm not too worried about that right now.
Good, just don't let anyone light up a smoke in that cab!!!

Old 12-01-2005, 04:20 PM
fitzwell
Senior User
Originally Posted by workingdog
I have a similar setup in my '68 that I am looking to get rid of. Does anyone have a recommendation for a bed mounted tank that they have used and works well - that is fits easily?
what wdog said.....i've got a 69, and would like to relocate the tank.....no room for speakers

Old 12-02-2005, 06:26 AM
jowilker
Fleet Owner

Received 46 Likes on 44 Posts
Originally Posted by fitzwell
what wdog said.....i've got a 69, and would like to relocate the tank.....no room for speakers
Some of the late 60s, early 70s Mustang tanks have been used successfully at the rear of the chassis. Chassis saddle tanks can work.

One big issue is placing the filler. You will have to go through the bed, the side of the body, or maybe through the bumper. While it will free up space in the cab it is not a simple change out.

Tis a shame there was no more room in the cab than there is.

John

Old 12-02-2005, 07:02 AM
Red2003XLT
Senior User
I believe California/Northen Tooling Company makes a combo Toolbox/gas tank. Fits in the bed just like a regular toolbox.

Not exactly sure about the name, might do a search.

Old 12-02-2005, 01:37 PM
qman
Cargo Master
johnt, you need the rubber filler neck grommet more than the filler neck itself. What happens on these old trucks is that the gas cap leaks when you make a turn and that rubber grommet isn't keeping the gas out. It is supposed to keep gas and water out of the cab. I replaced both the gas cap and the grommet and now I don't have that smell problem. That smell was killing me after fill ups. The grommets are $10 at dennis-carpenter.com.

Last edited by qman; 12-02-2005 at 01:42 PM.

Quick Reply: In cab(behind the seat) gas tank