2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ford service

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2009, 09:02 PM
srb1194
Tuned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ford service

I took my truck in today for a 60,000 mile service. I always take it back to the dealer for the major services. I just needed to vent on a couple of things to get you guy's input. They turned the front rotors and replaced pads, changed transmission fluid, flushed brake fluid, changed engine oil and filters. All of the above was what I was expecting. They did call me and suggest a fuel system decarbonization, coolant flush and power steering flush. I felt like these items were just add-ons and I passed on their offer. Have you guys ever had any of those done?

The thing that really chapped my a$$ was the grease and grime they left on the truck after service. I admit that I am **** about the cleanliness of my vehicle. Don't you think they would notice the greasy fingerprints on the wheel and body, grease on the bumper, grease on the floor mats, etc. Do any of you guys ever experience these things or is it just me?

Hey I feel better already that I vented. It just really ticks me off to take a clean truck in for service, pay $7-800 for service and then have to clean up their mess when I get home.

Old 08-24-2009, 09:14 PM
Twinsdad98
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sorry to hear about the mess they left. Didn't they put the paper floor mats in to keep their greasy shoes off your mats? I would have asked to speak to the service manager and bi$ch to him about leaving your truck greasy and dirty.

For the fuel system, I would run a bottle of Techno Clean Injector Cleaner through it and change your fuel filter. The other flushes are not necessary and just money makers for the dealers. I've seen people have problems after the flushes, so leave well enough alone. I have 118K on my 04 and haven't touch the coolant or PS. Knock on wood..

Old 08-25-2009, 12:33 AM
Tylus
MMNC (SS)(Ret)

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts
the extra crap they offered is nothing but that...crap

btw, take the truck back and force them to do a detail. call the 1-800 # in the front of your Owners Manual and file a complaint. take pictures.

They can and will get the truck clean. Returning it in that condition is unnacceptable.

Old 08-25-2009, 06:10 AM
sammer4u
Mountain Pass
The dealer I bought my truck from, was used for their services was the same way! Every time I took it in it came back with grease marks on the exterior and/or interior. The last straw was when there was a major grease stain on the seat, and they could not get it out! After sending a letter to the owner he basically stated that it could not have been that bad. Needless to say, I no longer take it back to them and do my own service. For major repair, I will use someone 50 miles away!

Seems like there is no care or concern anymore!

Old 08-25-2009, 08:42 AM
tooldad
Elder User
Have had the coolant flush twice I think (67k miles so far on my truck). I believe that to be important. The P/S flush however I see not reason for, especially at your mileage level. I was just hit up for a brake fluid flush am have mixed feelings about doing that. The fluid does naturally absorb water which degrades it, but how much how soon. Just completed the brake job myself and considered doing a flush myself. Not sure what they would charge, but tto much I am sure.

My dealer, most of the time, has left my vehicle as clean as when I dropped it off. they do use the paper floor mats too. Can't complain, though Iat the rates they charge, I think they should at least run the vehicles through their car wash afterwards (low cost nice touch).

Old 08-25-2009, 09:36 AM
rplatt56
Senior User
My dealer washes my trucks upon any service performed. If I find any grease or grime on it when i take control of it they gladly take it back in and redo it. Once they did get grease on my factory floor matts. But upon bring it to the service managers attention, a brand new set was put in. The service manager himself looks over my trucks with me prior to handing me my keys. Great service in my opinion. But then again, I did spend $80k in one day buying both trucks.

Old 08-25-2009, 11:15 AM
CCBennett_1
Senior User
Last time I had the oil changed at the dealership the only guy in the service department was the counter person. He had a white dress shirt and Kacki pants, basically church clothes. After making me wait about 15 minutes for a tech to come by he went ahead and changed it himself! No oil/grease on him or my truck. Granted it is only an oil change but the fact that he did it in dress clothes impressed me. Hopefully when i need something a little more expensive i get the same treatment, not necessarily dress clothes tho.

Old 08-25-2009, 02:11 PM
Tylus
MMNC (SS)(Ret)

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by tooldad
I was just hit up for a brake fluid flush am have mixed feelings about doing that. The fluid does naturally absorb water which degrades it, but how much how soon.
what color is the fluid?

still that nice honey amber color? or has it changed to that nasy chocolatey color?

considering your miles and it's a 04...maybe it is time. I'd do it myself though. Use your kids/wife and just bleed the brakes out really thouroughly. may take 1 hr, but it will save you who knows how much $$$

Old 08-25-2009, 04:33 PM
AlbusPlaustrum06
Senior User
Place I normally took my 98, once I moved down to Houston, I took my 06 to tried to tell me that I needed my radiator/transmission/fuel system flushed as per the Ford Service Recommended Maintenance. I was at 15.4k miles...I told them thanks but no thanks. I thought I was getting ripped when I was told they had to use 7 quarts of oil until I looked it up. Regardless, from what I can see it is not that hard to get to the filter myself and at 21k I will be doing it myself. They were kind of disappointed when my air filter was fairly fresh(only 5k miles on it). They also never put the paper down but they didn't trash my interior.

I remember a Jiffy Lube I used up in Conroe would do my windows and vacuum before putting down the paper. Top off my wiper fluid, checked my tire pressure, and so forth. Never had filth in my 98 truck from the grease monkeys. Did let them do a fuel injector cleaning at 50k or 60k miles...did notice it idled smoother.

Old 08-25-2009, 08:31 PM
srb1194
Tuned
Hey guys thanks for your replies. The coolant color still looks good to me so maybe I'll wait till I hit 100K. I can say that at times I do feel that the idle is a little rough but it doesn't sit at idle much so I guess I'll wait on that as well. As for the service manager, it was late when I picked it up and really didn't have time for any confrontations at that point. I did get an e-mail this morning form them asking how they did, needless to say I fired both barrels. They acknowledged and said they would meet with the staff to inform them to be more careful in regards to wiping up their mess. I still just can't imagine someone leaving a perfectly clean truck in that kind of condition. If they are that careless with that it makes you wonder what else they are careless with. As for you guys who are getting good, clean service...enjoy and maybe my situation will improve. Thanks for your comments.

Old 08-25-2009, 08:42 PM
Mustang6147
Posting Guru
I would let the know about the dirt they left behind...

I might also add, I would have done the Antifreeze. I am not a big fan of the 100,000 mile stuff. Mine will be out by 60000. It doesnt pay to waite till it discolors, and cantaminates your cooling system.

Old 08-26-2009, 10:27 AM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,221 Likes on 803 Posts
The service manual on my '04 Expy 4.6L says to perform a coolant flush at 100K miles. The dealer in this case is trying to build revenue. They however would have lost my respect just for asking.

As for the dirt, make them clean it to your satisafaction.

Tim