Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Performance, Engines & Troubleshooting > Ford Inline Six, 200, 250, 4.9L / 300
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-24-2005, 08:59 PM
Senior User

bluesuedetruck is starting off with a positive reputation.
Help with Vacuum Lines, etc. On 1980 F-100

I know this question has probably been asked plenty of times and I apologize for repeating it but...I am new to the 4.9 six and the Carter YFA 1 bbl. I bought this 1980 F-100 w/auto, NO A/C, NO power brakes and only has P/S. All the parts appear to be in place on the motor but are original, so old. It ran fairly well for a couple of days. It had been sitting for a year or two indoors (PO said he only put 600 miles on it in three years) and I have now pulled the carb off to do a rebuild (due to a gasket leak), the PO had disconnected the smog air pump and several of the vacuum lines have been plugged with screws. I want to clean up the engine and am NOT concerned about emissions as the vehicle is registered "Historic", no N.J. state inspection required.

FINALLY, to the main point...Which vacuum lines, imission valves and other valves (EGR,etc.) do I REALLY need to make the 4.9 run correctly? Most of the rubber and plastic vacuum lines are dry/brittle and will be replaced IF NECESSARY ONLY. I want to "streamline" this motor as much as possible and make it run smoothly. I do NOT want to "beef it up" with modifications.

I purchased a Chilton shop manual but am confused by all the emissions related abbreviations. I need some "straight talk" help figuring this out. I would appreciate any type of "must have" list you guys could provide for me.

Thanks, Ken.
Old 11-24-2005, 09:58 PM
Elder User

fordflaresides is starting off with a positive reputation.
You should only need pcv. You will need to replace all the vaccuum and plugs though to prevent vacuum leaks which will cause rough idle, hesitation etc.
Old 11-25-2005, 06:57 PM
Post Fiend

81-F-150-Explorer is a splendid one to behold81-F-150-Explorer is a splendid one to behold81-F-150-Explorer is a splendid one to behold81-F-150-Explorer is a splendid one to behold81-F-150-Explorer is a splendid one to behold81-F-150-Explorer is a splendid one to behold81-F-150-Explorer is a splendid one to behold
1) PCV valve (positive crankase ventalation) should stay. It helps burn off the "toxic" gases in your engine to keep the "toxic gases" from corroding internal parts.

2) Vaccume advance line to the distributor, from the carb.

3) Air cleaner heat riser valve (helps warm the engine on cold start ups and keeps the air flowing into the carb at a set tempurature to prevent iced up carbs on really cold days.) This is optional of course but if you live in a cold climate it does help things out.

4) Keep the choke heat riser tubes intact. Prevents iced up carbs and allows for proper choke function. The vaccume for this is inside the carb anyway, behind the choke plate and gets vaccume from the air horn itself etc, though make sure that the tubes don't have holes in them or is open to outside dirt. Can cause the carb to foul up etc...

That should be all the vaccume controlled devices that you need really. IMO.

Hope this helps.
Old 11-25-2005, 09:36 PM
Senior User

montster is starting off with a positive reputation.
about the carb heat riser can I just replace it with a piece of tube wrapped around the exhaust manifold? I put the efi manifolds on so I dont have the tubes anymore, dont mean to highjack the thread but its an 80 engine also
thanks
83 bronco I-6 300 efi exhaust and cherry bombs, chevy rockerarms, 3 1/2" custom body lift 2" leveling coils in front shackle flipped in rear custom soft spring pack fenders cut 38" ground hawgs, front diff fozzy locked, snorkled, with half doors
Old 11-25-2005, 10:01 PM
Post Fiend

81-F-150-Explorer is a splendid one to behold81-F-150-Explorer is a splendid one to behold81-F-150-Explorer is a splendid one to behold81-F-150-Explorer is a splendid one to behold81-F-150-Explorer is a splendid one to behold81-F-150-Explorer is a splendid one to behold81-F-150-Explorer is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by montster
about the carb heat riser can I just replace it with a piece of tube wrapped around the exhaust manifold? I put the efi manifolds on so I dont have the tubes anymore, dont mean to highjack the thread but its an 80 engine also
thanks
You should be able to do that yes. or stick the end of the tube into a unused bolt hole. etc... It will still leave a way for dirt to get into the carb via the tubes however. Maybe a vacuume filter of some kind can be put in it's place? So it can suck in the heat it needs without the dirt....

Last edited by 81-F-150-Explorer; 11-25-2005 at 10:04 PM.
Old 12-01-2005, 12:58 AM
Elder User

Katmandu is starting off with a positive reputation.
Anyone have Pics or Diagrams of the Carb Heat Riser setup ??
Old 12-01-2005, 02:54 AM
Post Fiend

I've been helping a person on the 1980 - 1986 truck forum with this very thing.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...rog/truck5.jpg

http://www.ford-trucks.com/user_gall...oid=96620&.jpg

The top photo shows a carter Yf Carb Non Feedback. You can see the top of the exaust manifold and the port where the line attaches, and a simulated line going to the brass fitting on the carb. And another simulated line going from the bottom of the exaust manifold to the nipple on the passenger side of the carb.

The second photo shows a Carter YFA Feedback carb, thats slightly different, but you can see the lines attached. the all metal tube goes from the brass fitting to the port on the exaust manifold pictured in the first photo. And the red rubber and metal tubed line goes to the bottom fitting on the exaust manifold. The bottom hole. Larger than the top one should be directly below the top one.

Hope this helps.
Old 12-01-2005, 02:54 AM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Performance, Engines & Troubleshooting > Ford Inline Six, 200, 250, 4.9L / 300

Tags
1977, 1980, 81, abbreviations, bronco, carb, carter, diagram, f100, ford, idle, lines, power, pump, rough, vacuum, yf