Making Fuel from Veggie Oil

Old 11-24-2005, 09:24 AM
adamritch
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Making Fuel from Veggie Oil

Folks, I want your expert opinions. Since I have my BS in Chemistry, I doubt I would have any serious problems actually making fuel from VO, but I don't know the procedures that y'all go by. I am curious as to the set-up for home production.

Old 11-26-2005, 12:34 PM
cookie88
Hotshot
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Lots of informative threads in this forum, and lots of folks that can help. Here's one example.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/s...d.php?t=419352

Old 12-13-2005, 12:12 AM
Phydeaux88
Posting Guru
Try this forum for information on your project. As a chemistry major you should enjow making Biodiesel its just a big lab exercise.

http://biodiesel.infopop.cc/groupee/...rm/f/607108578

Old 12-13-2005, 05:51 PM
lyched1
New User
I for one applaud your efforts. We really need people who know what they are doing to get behind something like this and get the ball rolling.

Old 12-14-2005, 11:36 AM
smid87
New User
This ball has left the court, there are many producers, and many more to come, including our group in NH. I have done much research and started a group here in Keene, NH. I do not have a place to set one up so our group is trying to find a large enough place to put a 200-300 gallon reactor. As for information no site is better than www.biodieselcommunity.org to start. everything you need to know to get started. Then when you decide you are serious purchase Maria Alovert book "the HomeBrew Guide" she puts all this information into an easy to understand format. I will kep an eye on these forums as I am getting to be quite the expert on Biodiesel. If you have a question ask I can get the answer.

Old 12-14-2005, 11:59 AM
leskwvo
Senior User
Just run WVO

Originally Posted by adamritch
Folks, I want your expert opinions. Since I have my BS in Chemistry, I doubt I would have any serious problems actually making fuel from VO, but I don't know the procedures that y'all go by. I am curious as to the set-up for home production.
The other option is to convert the vehicle and not the fuel. Run WVO straight in the car or truck that has been converted.

Erick Panger
http://www.leskwvo.com
2005 F250 PSD
Plant Drive Two tank WVO system.
Hotstk, Vormax, A1000 and Vegtherm

Last edited by leskwvo; 12-14-2005 at 12:01 PM.
Old 12-14-2005, 12:47 PM
smid87
New User
Exclamation

The problems with running W-V-O are the same except now you have to spend thousands to convert the vehicle. Running Biodiesel is the cheapest alternative as it requires no effort on the end users part unless they would like to make their own. This can be done for under a grand. All they have to do is visit www.biodieselcommunity.org and this website is the granddaddy of all Biodiesel sites.

Last edited by smid87; 12-14-2005 at 12:49 PM. Reason: To remove the advertising attached to WVO
Old 12-14-2005, 01:19 PM
leskwvo
Senior User
Originally Posted by smid87
The problems with running W-V-O are the same except now you have to spend thousands to convert the vehicle. Running Biodiesel is the cheapest alternative as it requires no effort on the end users part unless they would like to make their own. This can be done for under a grand. All they have to do is visit www.biodieselcommunity.org and this website is the granddaddy of all Biodiesel sites.

What problems are you talking about? Adamritch wanted to make his own BD. So he will have to collecting oil, prep it to make BD. Have a reactor, have lye and Methanol and do this each time he wants to make more BD. He will also have to deal with the waste products from making BD. All this is possible but it takes time and money.

I converted my truck for the simple reason I didn't want to have to deal with all that is involved with making BD. I filter and dewater my oil and it goes into my truck. It really a personal choice. Some folks do both. Run WVO and BD.

Erick Panger
2005 F250 PSD

Old 12-14-2005, 07:42 PM
smid87
New User
The only difference is having to make the Methoxide and the rest requires so little time between phases it is hardly worth mentioning.
I can titrate oil in less than a minute then moving the oil to the reactor 5 mins max, set the mix another 5 mins, then set the timer for an hour and walk away till tomorrow.
Move the oil to the wash tank and repeat above process while waiting 5 mins add water to wash tank with mist heads. I can go on, an on , and on , but the nitty gritty of it is it does not really take that much time, and you have control over the quality of your fuel.

With W-V-O you have to deal with free water, and free fatty acids. I am not against S-V-O, just think it not worth the effort once you realize you are forever still tied to Diesel or Biodiesel made by someone else. Cost being the factor here, you have reduced your overall cost by maybe half compared to making your own Bio out of W-V-O.

Old 12-14-2005, 08:33 PM
leskwvo
Senior User
We both could go on and on. It's my preferance to use WVO. I'm glad you have good luck with BD. Eather way we are both making a differance to the planet.

By the way my cost to drive my truck went from $.15 per mile to $.05 per mile with WVO substitution. WVO cost me nothing but filter bags and my time to pour it through the filter bag. A WVO conversion will be cheaper in the long run over making BD.

Erick Panger
2005 F250 PSD

Old 12-15-2005, 04:53 PM
jimkidd
Elder User
Originally Posted by leskwvo
Eather way we are both making a differance to the planet.
Screw the planet. It's about the money!

BioDieselNow(at)gmail(dot)com

jimbo

Old 12-15-2005, 06:30 PM
leskwvo
Senior User
Originally Posted by jimkidd
Screw the planet. It's about the money!
BioDieselNow(at)gmail(dot)com
jimbo
Speak for yourself, please.

I do this first for oil independance, second for the air I breath, and lastly for the money.

Erick Panger
2005 F250 PSD

Old 12-15-2005, 10:57 PM
jimkidd
Elder User
Originally Posted by leskwvo
Speak for yourself, please.

I do this first for oil independance, second for the air I breath, and lastly for the money.
OK... I do speak for myself. For me to think I speak for you would be close to the height of arrogance. So I speak for only myself.

1) I don’t take our environment for granted. I do like to breath.
2) I just don’t think most people appreciate the intricacies of supply and demand.
3) I would much rather give my hard earned money to my neighbor that grows something that will give us vegetable oil than some knuckle head that wishes me dead in the name of their moon god.

I don’t share the politically correct opinion of what a few people do. I don’t, and won't, subscribe to the junk science clique. If you burn fuel you burn fuel. Oxygen is oxygen and carbon dioxide is carbon dioxide. Photosynthesis takes care of the carbon dioxide. Animals, such as cows and Humans, take care of the oxygen. Even the way old dead animals such as dinosaurs. After all, what is fossil fuels other that really old animal fat and really old vegetable oil? All gases are green house gases. I happen to breathe a few gases when I breathe. It’s about 77% nitrogen, about 21% Oxygen, and about 2% other gases. If you go to Pikes Peak they ain’t as concentrated as they are in Colorado Springs. That’s science. By the way, I like the word “ain’t.”

We as a country, waste to much. We are spoiled to cheap fuel. But then again, fuel is cheap. Maybe a $1.00 a gallon fuel tax would pacify the tree huggers and bring the fuel brokers to their knees at the same time. What the , $2.00. Let’s starve the beast. I can make it. Can you?

Then, all sarcasm aside, let’s go ahead and support a real alternative fuel. One that’s safe. One that’s proven clean and “environmentally friendly.” One that would greatly reduce our dependence of a foreign source. Nuclear energy. I do like cheap fuel. Especially one that’s so environmentally safe. Even BioDiesel is not as clean as the split atom. And while I’m thinking of it, even BioDiesel needs methanol which is most commonly produced from methane a component of natural gas. A freakin’ fossil fuel!

Don’t come unarmed to a battle of wits with me; there is just no sport in it. A dollar is a dollar and it all boils down to who has the most until you die. Then there is this other thing that I’ll be glad to talk with you about, if you are ready for it.

Save the Humans!
jimbo
(No furry animals were harmed for the purposes of this post.)

Last edited by jimkidd; 12-15-2005 at 11:05 PM.
Old 12-16-2005, 04:41 AM
leskwvo
Senior User
Not sure but I would think your comments should be moved to the political forum if this site has one.

Erick Panger
2005 F250 PSD

Old 12-16-2005, 03:20 PM
schefner
Junior User
AMEN leskwvo! I don't knowwho peed in his weaties but if I wanted a lecture on world politics (even though I agree with a lot of his points) and someone telling me how smart they think they are I would join a ch**y forum.

That said, the rest of you guys have given alot of good info and I am seriously looking into making my own biodiesel. thanks for all your knowledge.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Making Fuel from Veggie Oil