Iowa Chapter Join Chapter, Leader:

"Cans and Cannot Do's for Highway Patrol/Sheriff

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2005, 01:04 PM
the_fordvan
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The cops here in Iowa are *really* bad about harassing people, as there is nothing else for them to do... see the local crime reports in the newspaper. Just DUI's and public intoxication offenses, and occasionally drug arrests.

In Los Angeles I was never harassed for anything, and just drove like everyone else, but out here, driving normally gets you a ticket.

The cops can manipulate the radar to say whatever they want it to, and hell, if you're unlucky enough, they may just say they didn't use radar, but 'paced' you instead, and then they could say any number they damn well pleased.

Right now I'm trying to fit a ridiculous set of tickets that I got while not even in my car. I got three tickets for no insurance, defective muffler and 'careless' driving, even though the cop didn't physically see anything. He wasn't even anywhere nearby. He came to my house and handed me three tickets after some guy complained about my car being too loud.
ugh.
So now I need like 1200 to pay off these things, and that's hard when you don't have a job (full time student) and I live off federal aid.
It's a real inconvenience for me because now I can't go join the LA Port Police with these tickets (and resulting suspension due to nonpayment) off my record. I can't believe these Iowa guys are like this, even to other people trying to get into law enforcement.

Anyways, best of luck with that speeding ticket, but I doubt you'll beat it, given this is Iowa.

Old 12-23-2005, 01:09 PM
michaelbrainardatwor
More Turbo
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would definately fight that one. If the officer didn't see you in the vehicle, I would definately take it to court.

Old 12-23-2005, 01:57 PM
Sam_Fear
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by the_fordvan
The cops here in Iowa are *really* bad about harassing people, as there is nothing else for them to do... see the local crime reports in the newspaper. Just DUI's and public intoxication offenses, and occasionally drug arrests.
Look around, Iowans have nothing else to do, other than get intoxicated!

In Los Angeles I was never harassed for anything, and just drove like everyone else, but out here, driving normally gets you a ticket.
LA and IA are two totally different places. I've never been to Cali, but if it's like driving on the east coast, no wonder you got busted. Don't get the showing up at your door part though - that sounds suspicious?! Like they've got a hard one for ya. 10 over around here is going to get you busted. Thats fairly standard midwest policy. As for the rest of it, like I said, sounds like somebody has you pegged.

What city?

Old 12-23-2005, 02:49 PM
the_fordvan
Freshman User
It's *****, I tell you. University Heights (Iowa City) cops are the absolute WORST guys I've ever run into. It makes me mad because I used to be friends with all the local cops in Los Angeles.

Unfortunately, the guy tricked me into admitting I had been driving that day, so he's got me. If I had just lied and said "nope, just been running it inside the lot to tune it" then I wouldn't have gotten it. But I was so freaked out at the time I didn't think of it like that.

I never got any notices in the mail when I didn't pay because I went back to the issuing officer and the original complainant and apologized, and both said they would drop the charges. A year later, I come back to Iowa and I'm stopped for going 27 in a 25, and then I find out I have a suspended Iowa license, although I had handed them my VALID California license, as well.

At this point however, they're all convictions and there's pretty much nothing I can do except pay it, but that's really difficult for me since I don't have a job. I mean, I can't just pull like a grand out of thin air. If I had the money to spend, I'd just pay it and be done with it, but they make it hard because I don't have it.

Anyhow, does anyone around here have a 4bbl or extra intake manifold for the 300cid they don't want? haha.

Back to the topic though, I'm trying to fight it, but I'm pretty sure I'm going to lose if I can't get the money before the bench trial next week.

Just be careful around here or else they'll try and **** you like they've been trying to do to me for the past year.

Old 12-25-2005, 05:53 PM
fiftyfourdf100
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It's *****, I tell you. University Heights (Iowa City) cops are the absolute WORST guys I've ever run into.
Yea, I know, my brother lives in Iowa City and we cut through U Heights to get to the ISU vs Iowa game a couple years back, and we both got padded down and told to assume the position against the cop car even though I know we don't look like drug dealers, but they let a couple guys who were obviously stoned go right by. They harass people just cuz, and don't go any more than the speed limit through there, I was with a buddy of mine in his Regal GS and he got pulled over for 1 over, no joke, thats what the ticket said. Anyway, I got out of my speeding ticket after the judge looked at the harassment complaints filed by my family on behalf of me a couple months back for tailing me(I circled the block 4 times, then went about 3 miles on gravel just to make sure he was tailing me, not just "driving around") and the cop threw it out. I'm gonna give him a reason to pull me over, as well as 2 of my friends on the last day of school, and I will gladly pay that ticket, I just can't wait to see what 2 14" wide tires on the back of my truck leave for a mark, a set of 10" wide tires on a 82 Cutlass w/a built 350 in it, and some kid w/a blazer is going to leave some marks too....haha....I'll post pics for ya'll.

Old 01-11-2006, 05:47 PM
94_turbo
Senior User
remember this--every ticket you get in iowa is on the database--and they pull it up near instant--and if you have iowa based ins--theyll pull the records also--and you may not get ins for too many tickets--or dang high ins--