1997 - 2003 F150 1997-2003 F150, 1997-1999 F250LD, 7700 & 2004 F150 Heritage

idling poor/stumbling while accelerating

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2005, 05:25 PM
RobbyMartin
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ranger88a
I would check the plugs. You can have a missfire on these trucks and it wont set a code as long as the pcm can maintain emission parameters by pulling back on fuel. I've had it happen many times, most times I have to do a power balance test to find out which plug is missing.
What is a power balance test and how do I do it to find out which coil is the problem. I have a P0357 trouble code that reads "Ignition Coil G Primary/Secondary Circuit Malfunction". Would this correspond to cylinder #7 ?

Old 11-28-2005, 10:07 AM
tkcampb1
New User
update

well. I changed the fuel filter and managed to change 6 of 8 spark plugs. I couldn't get to the two furthest back on the drivers side (not sure which cylinders they are). I didn't use the silicone, maybe I should have logged in and checked for new postings before I headed to autozone. After calling it a day, I the truck didn't run any better despite the new fuel filter and 6 plugs.

This morning, the check engine light finally came on and gave a P0353 code (ignition coil c primary/secondary circuit malfuntion). Can anyone translate that to english for me?

thanks again to everyone

keith

Old 11-28-2005, 10:18 AM
RedSox2004
New User
I have a 1999 expedition and have had the same problem twice. Changed the wires and plugs and the problem went away. I've had to do this once a year since owning vehicle and gets pretty expensive. Any suggestions to keep it from happening again?

Old 11-28-2005, 01:58 PM
IB Tim
Site Administrator
Received 58 Likes on 30 Posts
...Welcome RedSox2004, to Ford Truck Enthusiasts!
Stick around someone will be by shortly to answer your question.
Enjoy FTE....see you on the boards.

Old 11-28-2005, 02:21 PM
ranger88a
Elder User
Make shure the boots are turned correctly in the plug holes so there is no gap at the top where it meets the head so it seals correctly. Also, use silicone dielectric grease where the boot attaches to the plug. This should help.

Old 11-28-2005, 05:18 PM
RobbyMartin
Senior User
Originally Posted by tkcampb1
well. I changed the fuel filter and managed to change 6 of 8 spark plugs. I couldn't get to the two furthest back on the drivers side (not sure which cylinders they are). I didn't use the silicone, maybe I should have logged in and checked for new postings before I headed to autozone. After calling it a day, I the truck didn't run any better despite the new fuel filter and 6 plugs.

This morning, the check engine light finally came on and gave a P0353 code (ignition coil c primary/secondary circuit malfuntion). Can anyone translate that to english for me?

thanks again to everyone

keith
Keith
I had code P0357 (ignition coil G primary/secondary circuit malfuntion) on Thanksgiving and it turned out to the #7 coil. As soon as I replaced it everything was great. I found out that the letters correspond to the numbers of the cylinder:
A=#1
b=#2
C=#3 Your code P0353 (ignition coil "C" primary/secondary circuit malfunction)
d=#4
e=#5
f=#6
g=#7 My code P0357 (ignition coil "G" primary/secondary circuit malfunction) FIXED NOW
H=#8

The cylinders are numbered like this:
...Firewall...
4(d) 8(h) <----Missed Plug Change
3(C) 7(g) <----Missed Plug Change
2(b) 6(f)
1(a) 5(e)
...Radiator...

Change coil "C" (3) and your problem should go away.

Rob

Old 11-29-2005, 08:12 AM
tkcampb1
New User
Thanks for everyones suggestions. I believe I've got it taken care of. I had ran by autozone to have them code it for me yesterday but they said their computer should come on once plugged in under my dash, but it wasn't. I went to a different Autozone yesterday afternoon and the same thing happened. The guy asked me if my cigarette lighter was working and I told him no. Turns out, the cig. lighter and diagnostic plug run off of the same fuse. For those that didn't know that little piece of info, that tip can be my contribution of new found knowledge to this forum.

Anyway, I have no issues admitting my ignorance/carelessness when it comes to working on vehicles. It's common for me to get so aggrevated and disgusted that I usually experience brain farts. So here goes...I immediately looked at #3 and noticed that I had either not plugged the sensor back into the coil very good or not at all. It was just hanging there. That's why the check engine light finally came on. No problems so far thru this morning. Hopefully the fuel filter and 6 spark plugs took care of it. Again, I couldn't get to numbers 7 and 8. Nor have I gone back and pulled the new plugs to ad the anti-sieze and silicone. Is it extremely crucial that I do go ahead try to get 7 and 8 replaced and grease up 1-6?

Thanks again to everyone!