New oils no good for flat tappet cams

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2005, 08:31 PM
Torque1st
Posting Legend
Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts
New oils no good for flat tappet cams

Comp Cams has issued this in a newsletter:

Some recent changes in oil and engine technology likely the cause of premature camshaft failure; here’s what you can do

Premature flat tappet camshaft failure has been an issue of late and not just with one brand or type of camshaft. In almost every case, the hardness or the taper of the cam lobe is suspected, yet most of the time that is not the problem. This growing trend is due to factors that are unrelated to camshaft manufacture or quality. Changes in today's oil products and “advanced” internal engine design have contributed to a harsher environment for the camshaft and a potential for failure during break-in. But there are several things you can do to turn the tide on this discouraging trend.

Proper Camshaft Set-Up & Break-In
Proper flat tappet camshaft set-up and break-in, as any engine builder knows, are keys to how long a camshaft will last, both short and long term. Making certain that the camshaft and lifters are properly lubricated will guarantee that the camshaft and lifters are protected during the critical initial start-up of your newly-built engine. COMP Cams® offers the right product for this job, Pro Cam Lube (Part #154), and it is available in several different size containers for engine builder convenience. To further enhance this “relationship,” we strongly recommend the use of COMP Cams® Camshaft Break-In Oil Additive (Part #159) during the break-in. While this additive was originally developed specifically for break-in protection, subsequent testing has proven the durability benefits of its long term use. This special blend of additives promotes proper break-in and protects against premature cam and lifter failure by replacing some of the beneficial ingredients that the oil companies have been required to remove from off-the-shelf oil. These specialized COMP Cams® lubricants are the best “insurance policy” you can buy and the first step to avoiding durability problems with your new flat tappet camshaft.

Adequate Lubrication
Another major factor in the increase of flat tappet camshaft failure is your favorite brand of engine oil. Simply put, today’s engine oil is just not the same as it used to be, thanks to ever tightening environmental regulations. The EPA has done a great job in reducing emissions and the effects of some of the ingredients found in traditional oils; however these changes to the oil have only made life tougher on your camshaft. The lubricity of the oil and specifically the reduction of important additives such as zinc and manganese, which help break-in and overall camshaft life, have been drastically reduced. In terms of oil selection, we recommend Shell Rotella T oil for the break-in procedure. Most often used in diesel engine applications, this higher lubricity oil works in gasoline engines as well.

Today’s engines are great at providing oil to every engine component except one - your camshaft. Windage trays, limiting oil’s ability to reach the top of the engine, modification of connecting rod side clearances for less splash oil and special oil pans further complicate both the break-in process and camshaft operation in general. But there are several things you can do to correct these problems.

COMP Cams® offers flat tappet lifters with oiling holes in the cam face surface, which will increase oil flow to the lifter-camshaft lobe contact point. Furthermore, using a lifter bore grooving tool (Part #5003) will enhance oiling throughout the camshaft and valve train. As we all know by now, better oil flow means better initial break-in and increased camshaft durability.

Flat Tappet Lifter Selection – Choose Carefully!
In addition to these engine modifications, make certain you purchase high-quality lifters. Most lifters look alike, but you don’t really know where they were produced. “Imported” flat tappets often times use inferior lifter castings and DO NOT deliver the durability of COMP Cams® high-quality, US-built lifters. COMP Cams® lifters are built to strict diameter and radius tolerances and designed to fit precisely within their lifter bores. This ensures the lifter rotates properly and decreases the potential for failure. Additionally, COMP Cams® Flat Tappet Lifters have the correct oil band depth and location to properly regulate the internal oiling of your engine.
Five steps to increased flat tappet camshaft durability:

* Double check your camshaft and lifter set-up prior to the break-in process, and use an ample amount of the supplied assembly lube on all lobes, distributor gear and the face of bottom of each lifter.
* Use high-lubricity engine oil such as Shell Rotella T oil to help during the break-in process, or use COMP Cams® Camshaft Break-In Oil Additive (Part #159).
* Use flat tappet lifters with cam face oiling provisions, such as COMP Cams® Part #800-16 (GM) or #817-16 (Ford).
* Use a COMP Cams® Lifter Bore Grooving Tool (Part #5003) to increase oiling.
* Use high-quality, U.S.-built COMP Cams® lifters to make certain you are receiving the best quality lifter you can buy. Avoid “brown bag” lifters.

You can read the last "current issue" here, it looks as if they have not updated the website:
http://www.powerandperformancenews.c...s/PAPNV2I9.htm
Home page: http://www.powerandperformancenews.com/

EDIT- the newsletter has finaly been updated:
http://www.powerandperformancenews.c...APNV2I10.htm#1

I am sure glad I am using roller lifters on my old-iron 400!

Last edited by Torque1st; 11-24-2005 at 01:47 AM.
Old 11-21-2005, 09:34 PM
TallPaul
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
For flat tappet cams you could get 10w30 Valvoline VR1 Racing oil, which is rated SH because of the high zddp levels (I think 1300 ppm P and 1200 ppm Z) and is suitable for track or street. The only other multigrade VR1 is 20w50 (rated SM with the same high zddp). There are straight weights too.

Last edited by TallPaul; 11-21-2005 at 09:36 PM.
Old 11-21-2005, 10:52 PM
Big O Dave
Tuned
Smile

I'm currently using Delo 400 15W-40 in my '83 460. Alternatively, I also use Delo 400 SAE 30 and Rotella Synthetic 5W-40.

Only HDEO's for that engine!

Old 11-21-2005, 10:55 PM
ford390gashog
Fleet Owner

Received 519 Likes on 398 Posts
torque,

i have been saying that since the introduction of SM oils over a year ago. so has Rusty in the FE forum.

Old 11-21-2005, 11:06 PM
rusty70f100
Post Fiend
Yep. Been saying that for quite a while. I think I even started a thread about it a while back.

Old 11-21-2005, 11:12 PM
ford390gashog
Fleet Owner

rusty you did.

i also remember how people said that zddp was not important. well i guess it is.

Old 11-24-2005, 12:27 AM
oldhalftons
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
definatly old news in the inline forum too

Old 11-24-2005, 01:49 AM
Torque1st
Posting Legend
Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts
Sorry about that guys but official confirmation of a problem from a major manufacturer is always good.

Old 11-24-2005, 10:42 AM
Big O Dave
Tuned
Thumbs up

No need to apologize! This was excellent input. Thanks!

Old 11-25-2005, 11:30 AM
jimandmandy
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Because aircraft engines specify "ashless" oils, no ZDDP is allowed. That, combined with the valve train geometry on most Lycoming engines lead to lots of accelerated lifter wear. Lycoming requires tricrysalphospate additive in those engines. Some, but not all, Aeroshell grades contain this additive. The additive itself is expensive. My point is that highly loaded flat tappet cam installations do indeed have special boundary lubrication needs.

Jim

Old 11-25-2005, 11:09 PM
roushracing617
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I for one, am thankful for info. such as this. I applaud people like Torque1st for offering this kind of information. Unfortunately, you won't get this stuff in the instructions you get with a cam kit.

Old 11-26-2005, 03:27 AM
Ed
Posting Guru
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I agree, RoushRacing617 with you. Torque1st post is the kind of information that seperates engine builders / enthuiasists from the pack, in that they know what is good for their particular engine when it comes to oil. CompCams obviously is looking out for their product, and customers, as per that newsletter. Many companies could care less. Lastly, I take it from your screen name, that you are a Nascar fan? The reason I ask is today I was able to sit in a brand new, black, and another car red, Ford Fusion inside a Ford dealership this afternoon with my two teenage sons. Loaded, aluminum alloys, decked out and did I mention the mirror-like deep shine? At least 10 coats of clear coat on that paint, it might not have been dry yet from the Ford factory??! Seeing one up close and in person, I was highly impressed. (and I miss that brand new car smell! That alone gives me the "bug" for buying a new car!!!!) Anyway, Ford will be running the new Fusion, in Nextel CUP in February at Daytona. What are your thoughts on this new Fusion as a Nascar stock car? Ed///....

Old 11-29-2005, 08:52 AM
DOHC
Senior User
I believe this came about because of many lobe failures in their XE line .

For those that do not know the XE line both hydraulic flat tappet and solid lifter flat tappet uses and unsymmetrical lobe profile with very agressive ramps and a relativley small base circle . These were also used in push rod engines with much heavier parts to move than you will see in modern assembly line engines , especially OHC engines that has no pressure from rocker arms and little problem with valve spring harmonics . Cams like this are sensitive to spring pressure rates and by virtue of design and do not have the longetivety of symmetrical cam lobes used by the auto makers in the modern daily drivers .

Engine like the 300 six , 460 V8 ect are not of high performance design in terms of cam lobe intensity so if the engine is stock I'd not worry if the oil has but 800 ppm zinc . If it's a good oil there are other additives in the formula to aid with boundry protection . MoDTC , boron and either of 4 other friction modifiers not picked up in elemental analysis .

Old 11-29-2005, 02:43 PM
ford390gashog
Fleet Owner

DOHC,

it is not just their cams. S&S motor said they are seeing most cores returned with badlly worn cams or missing lobes. this is a problem in the FE forum too. there is not enough zinc to protect the flat tappet cams in new oil. most have 500 to 650 ppm. Moly does not benefit the cam until the temperatures get very hot, about 200 degrees. so until then you have no lobe protection. the way around it is to use a diesel rated oil.

Old 11-29-2005, 04:26 PM
300 4 ever
Senior User
Just out of curiosity, how many ppm of zinc is there in the rotella t line? Is there a difference between these amounts with 10w30,15w40,and the 5w40?

Quick Reply: New oils no good for flat tappet cams