1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

help!! Truck taking longer to start each morning,white smoke.

Old 11-19-2005, 01:08 PM
HTRDLNCN
Senior User
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
help!! Truck taking longer to start each morning,white smoke.

Couple days ago it took a little longer to crank, every day a little longer,today it took three long cranks before it fired and white smoke came out. Temps are in the low 80s here. Just bought truck last week so dont know history on batteries or anything else. After first start it runs and starts like a champ all day.

Old 11-19-2005, 01:13 PM
1997F-350
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by HTRDLNCN
Couple days ago it took a little longer to crank, every day a little longer,today it took three long cranks before it fired and white smoke came out. Temps are in the low 80s here. Just bought truck last week so dont know history on batteries or anything else. After first start it runs and starts like a champ all day.
help yourself and click here and do some reading here

Old 11-19-2005, 01:30 PM
HTRDLNCN
Senior User
I did already but there doesnt seemto be a consensus on whats the problem ,just a "swap parts" till its fixed and almost all the posts are concerning cold weather.. It hasnt gone below 70deg here in the middle of the night and its 80+deg by the time I start the truck. Thats why I asked.. I really hate swapping parts unless I know thats the problem,.

Old 11-19-2005, 02:17 PM
jharvey3
Elder User
Start with the easy stuff..............get the batteries checked.

Next step would be the glow plug relay, do a search on glow plug relay or GPR and you'll have enough reading to last a day or two.

John

Old 11-19-2005, 03:31 PM
bilder12
Posting Guru
try plugging in the block heater about 2 hours before lift off. if it starts easier that way, you can do further search on glow plug system. checking the batteries will be beneficial too, the starter has to spin it pretty fast to fire it up after heating the glow plugs. the power strokes are pretty fussy about the batteries. dont crank on the starter too long, they are susceptible to over heating - 20 seconds at a time is plenty to crank and let the starter cool down for a few minutes.

Old 11-19-2005, 03:45 PM
cookie88
Hotshot
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Check the oil level in the high pressure oil pump reservoir. If it's draining down overnight the lube oil pump would have to refill it before it before the injectors would fire.

Also check the fuel pressure while cranking, there would be similar starting problems if the fuel system is losing it's prime, and would also explain the white smoke.

Old 11-19-2005, 04:38 PM
HTRDLNCN
Senior User
Originally Posted by jharvey3
Start with the easy stuff..............get the batteries checked.

Next step would be the glow plug relay, do a search on glow plug relay or GPR and you'll have enough reading to last a day or two.

John
I did today,checked fine,,they are napa "professional" series and check out good.

I did read up on the GPR ,one thing I didnt find is where is it located?

Old 11-19-2005, 04:39 PM
HTRDLNCN
Senior User
Originally Posted by bilder12
try plugging in the block heater about 2 hours before lift off. if it starts easier that way, you can do further search on glow plug system. checking the batteries will be beneficial too, the starter has to spin it pretty fast to fire it up after heating the glow plugs. the power strokes are pretty fussy about the batteries. dont crank on the starter too long, they are susceptible to over heating - 20 seconds at a time is plenty to crank and let the starter cool down for a few minutes.
no block heater already checked.
I didnt spin it too long, I crank it a second or two and if doesnt fire I stop,turn key off then on wait forlight to go out and try again.

Old 11-19-2005, 04:41 PM
HTRDLNCN
Senior User
Originally Posted by cookie88
Check the oil level in the high pressure oil pump reservoir. If it's draining down overnight the lube oil pump would have to refill it before it before the injectors would fire.

Also check the fuel pressure while cranking, there would be similar starting problems if the fuel system is losing it's prime, and would also explain the white smoke.
Where is that hp oil resorvoir at?
Is there a picture/illustration online that shows/points out all these parts so i dont have to keep asking?

Old 11-19-2005, 04:59 PM
1997F-350
Postmaster
your gpr is right next to the fuel filter/water separator. it looks like a starter relay. tomorrow for the first start of the day jump the 2 big terminals on it with a screwdriver for about 10 seconds and then try to crank it. if it fires theres you problem. cheers!!!!!!!!!!

a 96 psd should have a block heater as it they all came with em until 97 which is was an option. unless it was removed by po. look by the oil filter for and orange cord. follow it forward.

Old 11-19-2005, 11:55 PM
cookie88
Hotshot
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Where is that hp oil resorvoir at?
Is there a picture/illustration online that shows/points out all these parts so i dont have to keep asking?
Not too many online services with pictures, but this one is fairly inclusive.

http://www.nav-international.com.br/...rStroke/hs.asp

Look at section 12: Injection oil system flow.

Old 11-20-2005, 01:55 PM
HTRDLNCN
Senior User
Originally Posted by 1997F-350
your gpr is right next to the fuel filter/water separator. it looks like a starter relay. tomorrow for the first start of the day jump the 2 big terminals on it with a screwdriver for about 10 seconds and then try to crank it. if it fires theres you problem. cheers!!!!!!!!!!
THANKS!

a 96 psd should have a block heater as it they all came with em until 97 which is was an option. unless it was removed by po. look by the oil filter for and orange cord. follow it forward.
Nope,searched like crazy but no block heater.
Today I turned they key and let it sit for about 20secs before starting and it started right up. Guess the glow plugs are getting lazy and need more warm up time. Guess Ill have to replace them before I move to Austin,,it actually gets relatively cold there as opposed to here in hurricane central..

Old 11-20-2005, 01:56 PM
HTRDLNCN
Senior User
Originally Posted by cookie88
Not too many online services with pictures, but this one is fairly inclusive.

http://www.nav-international.com.br/frame_master.asp?tipo=powerStroke&pg=manual_i/powerStroke/hs.asp

Look at section 12: Injection oil system flow.
Thank you!

WWW.HOTRODLINCOLN.ORG

"Dog Hair Racing"
2004 GTO ,Almost stock,3790lbs , 1.7 60FT / 12.8@106
1996 F250 Powestroke,not quite as fast
1972 Oldsmobile 442 ,work in progress

Last edited by HTRDLNCN; 11-20-2005 at 02:01 PM.
Old 11-20-2005, 09:44 PM
johnsdiesel
Post Fiend
Today I turned they key and let it sit for about 20secs before starting and it started right up. Guess the glow plugs are getting lazy and need more warm up time. Guess Ill have to replace them before I move to Austin,,it actually gets relatively cold there as opposed to here in hurricane central..
Honestly, if the temps have been in the 80s I doubt the glow plugs are the main problem. My truck had been doing the same thing and I finally changed the injector o-rings and the problem was solved. I changed all the glow plugs while I was in there, but they all seemed to be working fine and none had any carbon buildup on them.

Did you get white smoke when today when you started it?

Old 11-20-2005, 11:58 PM
HTRDLNCN
Senior User
Originally Posted by johnsdiesel

Did you get white smoke when today when you started it?
No,not today,,Ill check again tommorow,its supposed to get into the 50s by wed

WWW.HOTRODLINCOLN.ORG
"Dog Hair Racing"
2004 GTO ,Almost stock,3790lbs , 1.7 60FT / 12.8@106
1996 F250 Powestroke,not quite as fast
1972 Oldsmobile 442 ,work in progress

Last edited by HTRDLNCN; 11-21-2005 at 12:00 AM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: help!! Truck taking longer to start each morning,white smoke.