Escape & Escape Hybrid Ford Escape, Ford Escape Hybrid, Mercury Mariner, Mazda Tribute

Adjust Parking Brake

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2005, 02:48 PM
joerug1
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Adjust Parking Brake

How do I adjust the Parking brake on my 2005 limited Escape. When I park on an incline and pull on the brake lever, the car still rolls backwards. Then when I try to take the car out of park, you feel a big clunk when the transmission goes into drive. This can't be very good on the tranny.

Old 11-18-2005, 03:00 PM
IB Tim
Site Administrator
Received 58 Likes on 30 Posts
...Welcome to Ford Truck Enthusiasts!
Stick around someone will be by shortly to answer your question.
We are happy you have chosen the best source for Fords!

Enjoy FTE....and
JOIN CLUB FTE -SUPPORT THE FORUMS!
…..See you on the boards.

Old 11-21-2005, 05:22 PM
joerug1
New User
Anybody? Please!

Old 11-21-2005, 06:10 PM
87 XLT
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If I had an 05 Escape I would also have bought the factory shop manual for it & could tell you.

But isnt this still under warranty?

Have you crawled underneath to see if the E-Brake cable can be adjusted?

Or there might be an adjustable bolt on the E-Brake lever?

Old 11-22-2005, 06:58 AM
Nitramjr
Postmaster

I believe the '05 has rear disc brakes on all models. The parking brake, if I read correctly has a small drum brak setup inside the rotor hub. I have no idea how it adjusts but have been meaning to find out - my '06 parking brake has to be pulled all the way up to hold. My '05 only has to go a few clicks.

I'll do some research and report back if I find anything.

Old 11-22-2005, 07:31 AM
bananaboat
Senior User
There should be an adjustable bolt on the e-brake lever. Prior to 05, it was easy to access with a 10mm deep socket due to the rubber boot with a slit. The 05 has a boot and I would guess you'd have to pull the console to access the adjustment bolt.

Old 11-22-2005, 02:00 PM
87 XLT
Postmaster
You guys have all spent 20 grand plus on your Escapes & NOBODY has a manual that explains how to adjust the parking brake??????? This is SAD.

I read this on another forum.
A guy with an 02 Mitsubishi Montero parked it on his "very steep driveway", but the moron only put it in park & did'nt bother to use the E-Brake.
As he gets out of the car he hears a BANG-that was the park mechanism breaking- & he gets knocked to the ground by the open door.

The car rolled across the street, into his neighbors yard &then broke thru the wall & ended up in his neighbors living room. Luckily nobody was hurt or killed.

joerug1, dont park this on a hill until the parking brake is fixed.

If it's still under warranty, have the dealer fix it. If it's not under warranty take it to ANY mechanic for this simple little repair. Or get a manual & fix it yourself.

The Ford factory manual is only 165 bucks at www.helminc.com Or for only 25 bucks you can sign up with www.alldata.com & get their online repair manual plus access to all the TSB's for you Escape.

Old 11-22-2005, 03:17 PM
Nitramjr
Postmaster

Originally Posted by 87 XLT
You guys have all spent 20 grand plus on your Escapes & NOBODY has a manual that explains how to adjust the parking brake??????? This is SAD.
Who needs a manual when there are thousands of other FTE members - one of whom will know how to do it and will tell you for free.

You need a manual to adjust your parking brake in an '87? Thats sad.....

Old 11-22-2005, 06:18 PM
87 XLT
Postmaster
Like I said earlier, if I had an 05 Escape, I would also have the Ford factory shop manual for it and I would have posted the info that joerug1 needed to adjust his E-brake FIVE days ago.

Your right theres a LOT of great answers given out on FTE & many of those answers come from the Ford shop & electrical trouble shooting manuals that myself & others have purchased.

This site saves a lot of folks a LOT of money when it comes to fixing their Fords.

To me it's ridiculous to spend 20 or 30K on a vehicle & not spend a couple bucks more for the manuals that I need to fix it when it breaks.

I keep the manuals & tools in my cars at all times so that i'm ready to go with fixing them if I break down on the highway.

Old 11-22-2005, 06:50 PM
Nitramjr
Postmaster

You had it right in your first post XLT - an '05 is under factory bumper to bumper warranty until 36k. No need to carry tools or even buy the manual until the warranty is almost up.

I do as much of my own repairs as I am technically able to accomplish but a car under warranty is going back to the dealer for anything but oil changes. A parking brake not working/adjusting ain't right and they are taking care of it for me.

JMO

Old 11-26-2005, 01:20 PM
fordfanatic05
Junior User
Mine does the same thing. Only on a big hill though i dont think that the parking brake is bulit to hold that much weight on a big hill like that. But when i tryied it rolled forward a little bit and when i took the car outta park it was harder to do. I dont use the parking brake all the time only when on hills. The smaller hills it will hold the truck. Are you sure that you pull the brake all the way?

Old 12-05-2005, 04:53 AM
license2ill
Freshman User
My previous vehicle's E-brake self-adjusted with a number of pulls. After getting the pads changed, it took upwards of 200-300 pulls to get it back into range. I just sat there with my hand on the button ratcheting it up and down for a good ten minutes, thinking I was a fool, but eventually all was successful, and had it back to normal. The cable stretches, epspecially if you are yanking on it too hard regularly. Try it out, and just be patient. That car was also a Ford/Mazda, and I doubt they've changed the design all that much since then.

Old 12-05-2005, 04:00 PM
fordfanatic05
Junior User
Wait, what do you mean by e-brake? What kinda car was it?
Welcome to the forums ...

Old 12-05-2005, 07:31 PM
license2ill
Freshman User
Originally Posted by fordfanatic05
Wait, what do you mean by e-brake? What kinda car was it?
Welcome to the forums ...
Parking brake, emergency brake, e-brake for short. A probe gt.

Old 04-13-2008, 07:30 PM
Nashvillebill
New User
It's Easy!

Just pull up the leatherette boot- the vinyl is stapled to a plastic piece that has tabs that engage in slots in the console. After you pull it up, there's an adjusting nut- you'll need a deep well socket.

Quick Reply: Adjust Parking Brake